I need out of my contract without paying ETF!!!
Dimetryus

I need to get out of my contract i have had since november 2011 and can no longer afford it. I havent been able to pay my bill for 2 months. I didnt pay it last month and cant pay it this month. I am switching to at&t. I want to get out of my contract without paying a fee. I refuse to pay it. How long will it take before they just shut my service off?? I know it will mess a my credit up a little bit but right now its worth it.  Does anybody have any idea how long it will take for them to shut my service off??

P.S. I am the account owner and i have my line and another line on my account and they are both smartphones

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I need out of my contract without paying ETF!!!
Tidbits
Legend

Why not try and find someone do a AOL? 

Exactly why are you switching to AT&T if you can't afford it?  You will be paying the same, AND you will have to pay a prorate the first month.  Doesn't make sense to me...

0 Likes
Dimetryus

1. I do want a new phone (Iphone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S2 or S3 without paying retail)

2. Im too behind on my bill  and it will be hard to pay as i have no way paying the bill anymore but am looking before i switch.

3. I want to go back to one line but I dont have the money to cancel my 2nd line

If I had a way to do that stuff I would definately stay with verizon.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Dimetryus wrote:

1. I do want a new phone (Iphone 4S or Samsung Galaxy S2 or S3 without paying retail)

This one would be fulfilled. Though your service won't last long.

2. Im too behind on my bill  and it will be hard to pay as i have no way paying the bill anymore but am looking before i switch.

Your AT&T will be prorated, and billed in advance.  Don't forget the $35 activation fee.  IF you catch it at the bad time you will have to pay for two months of service on your first bill.  Since Verizon and AT&T are around the same price give or take $5 and you say you can't pay for the 2 months you missed then I don't see how you can pay the AT&T bill.  Best case 1/2 a month and a full month in advance.  Worse case 2 months on the first bill + $35.

3. I want to go back to one line but I dont have the money to cancel my 2nd line

Do an AOL with someone.  Someone may take over your line depending on the phone on that line.

If I had a way to do that stuff I would definately stay with verizon.

I still don't see the difference.  You will jump out of a pan into another pan...

I think it's a few months, before they terminate it, and send you the bill+ ETF.  AT&T will do the same... I don't see how you can not afford one carrier and not the other when they are the same price.

0 Likes
Dimetryus

To be all honest, im just a stupid 18 year old who got kicked off my dads plan in november and i wanted a phone and got one through verizon. i shouldve canceled or gottnenr n prepaid for a little bit but I didnt. Then back in may when I was still i high school I got kicked out my dads house and had to live with a friend. So since and since then everything has gone downhill for me but im trying to turn it around im at a good start. I joined the navy and go to boot camp late march. I just have to learn everything the hard way and its not easy. So I have no clue what im going to do with whole verizon/at&t thing.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Smart for you to go in March...  I went in November many moons ago...  Cold... Very... Cold...  You could always sell the smartphones and hope you have enough to payoff one of the lines, and the other try and find someone willing to take it over.

0 Likes
Not applicable

There's also a possibility that since you haven't paid your Verizon bill for a couple months, Verizon may have reported this to the credit bureaus.  AT&T may check your credit before selling you a phone and if this negative credit rating shows they may require that you pay in advance and possibly require a deposit in order to open an account for you.  After all, if you're not paying your wireless bill at Verizon, what assurance does AT&T have that you're not planning on "stiffing" them too.

Bottom line, it's never a good idea not pay what you owe.  You should have called Verizon, explained your situation and maybe they could've worked something out.  Remember, negative credit info stays on your report for 10 years.

My reccomendation at this point is to still call Verizon and try to work something out.  I think at this point, new smartphones should not be on your "to do" list.  Getting out of the mess you're making and clean up your credit should be top of the list.

Good luck,

0 Likes
Dimetryus

haha yea I know but thanks

0 Likes
Dimetryus

It hasn't been reported yet but yea I will call verizon in the morning and see if I can work a deal

0 Likes