Can you upgrade your phone early?
Juricich

I have had my iPhone 4 for over a year now, but want to upgrade to the iPhone 5. Is there anyway to upgrade early instead of waiting for the end of the 2 years?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can you upgrade your phone early?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Juricich,

Upgrading is such a fun time! I want you to experience this as soon as can be. Our customers are able to upgrade at 20 months so they don't need to wait the entire 24 month time. Call #UPG to check the date of eligibility to upgrade. If you want to upgrade before this date, you can see if any of your other lines are available to upgrade or you can add a line. You can always get the iPhone 5 at retail price and trade-in your iPhone 4 http://bit.ly/GGnDDC. Happy phone shopping!

Thank you,
MariaC_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

pay full price.. or add a new line to your account (10 bucks a month) and upgrade on that line transfer it to your line and but either a dumb phone or a dummy ESN on the new line,.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Juricich,

Upgrading is such a fun time! I want you to experience this as soon as can be. Our customers are able to upgrade at 20 months so they don't need to wait the entire 24 month time. Call #UPG to check the date of eligibility to upgrade. If you want to upgrade before this date, you can see if any of your other lines are available to upgrade or you can add a line. You can always get the iPhone 5 at retail price and trade-in your iPhone 4 http://bit.ly/GGnDDC. Happy phone shopping!

Thank you,
MariaC_VZW
Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

geekazoidtech

However, Verizone Support as you say you can upgrade at 20 months, You cannot Upgrade to the new Iphone at 20 months. No early upgrades are allowed.

0 Likes
cuprofessa

that's not true. me and my dad got our iphone 4 in February of 2011. We are eligible to get an iphone 5 on october 23rd. I checked.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you can upgrade to the new iPhone, or any phone, at 20 months into a two-year contract.  That is not considered upgrading early.  Upgrading early is if you want to upgrade and you have completed less than 20 months of your two-year contract.

0 Likes
geekazoidtech

I am talking about the New Iphone 5. Apple will not allow any early upgrades ...period. Apple put out a mandate to Verizon and to the other major carrier that they are not to do early upgrades for ANY Iphones, Ipads ETC. Check into it.

0 Likes
wildcard6

From what I understand, the old policies are dead. Now, regardless of what device or plan you have, you must complete 20 months of your contract before you are eligible for an upgrade. For example, I just upgraded from my BB S2 to an iPhone 4S. I must wait until May of 2014 to upgrade again, no exceptions.

I think this is really adverse, especially to those of us who are loyal Verizon customers. I've been with them since they were Bell Atlantic Nynex Mobile, which was in the late 90s. The last time I took advantage of the one year upgrade policy was in 2005 when I upgraded to a Motorola E-815. My last two phones were activated for the entire length of the contract. So what I think I'm going to do next is pay full retail for my next phone and not bother with contracts.

VZW used to be all about customers, but now it seems like they're all about market analysts and shareholders. The new upgrade policies are nothing more than a naked profit grab from those of us who have been loyal customers for several years.

I hope someone from the company reads this and realizes that tey are alienating customers. YES, VZW has the most reliable network and a semi monopoly on iPhones, but their dominance as a network leader won't last forever. Looking beyond the quarterly profit reports, this policy will eventually have a negative impact as more and more of us start shopping for other providers...

0 Likes
angeld
Enthusiast - Level 1

i just went  from a  basic to a smart and after 5 swap outs of the basic  phone and trying to work with  verizon with it i gave up. had the phone  a yr  and it was  getting worse and worse with the item i had. finally  amen to this  the basic phone went  dead .  and i wasn't waiting  6 more  mths no no no.  i went  smart phone. got a samsung  galaxy stellar. it is a great  phone  from a pantech hot  shot  a phone that   couldnt wait to  dump.  i went in circles to get the  up grade  earily . and a few other  bugs out of the upgrade as well but in the long  run yes  you can get a new phone if  you  go thru  yards of  red tape and are patient with the time used .  you  do have a 14  day  return poicy if   you didnt like the phone   you had  gotten . full price seems un fair  ...  

0 Likes
Not applicable

vzw-tempname-85163928-efb9-4b17-9c87-069b27647f1d wrote:

From what I understand, the old policies are dead. Now, regardless of what device or plan you have, you must complete 20 months of your contract before you are eligible for an upgrade. For example, I just upgraded from my BB S2 to an iPhone 4S. I must wait until May of 2014 to upgrade again, no exceptions.

I think this is really adverse, especially to those of us who are loyal Verizon customers. I've been with them since they were Bell Atlantic Nynex Mobile, which was in the late 90s. The last time I took advantage of the one year upgrade policy was in 2005 when I upgraded to a Motorola E-815. My last two phones were activated for the entire length of the contract. So what I think I'm going to do next is pay full retail for my next phone and not bother with contracts.

VZW used to be all about customers, but now it seems like they're all about market analysts and shareholders. The new upgrade policies are nothing more than a naked profit grab from those of us who have been loyal customers for several years.

I hope someone from the company reads this and realizes that tey are alienating customers. YES, VZW has the most reliable network and a semi monopoly on iPhones, but their dominance as a network leader won't last forever. Looking beyond the quarterly profit reports, this policy will eventually have a negative impact as more and more of us start shopping for other providers...

A) you are getting an upgrade 4 months early and somehow you feel you are being ripped off?

B) enough with the loyalty garbage. You do not have Verizon service out of some sort of loyalty. And if Verizon let you out of contract without an ETF you your "loyalty" would last long enough until you could find a better deal elsewhere. That's not loyalty.

0 Likes