why does verizon cripple phones?
phoneproblem

why does verizon cripple bluetooth in all of its phones?

{keep it relevant}

i am trying to solve the following problem: should i or should i not stick with verizon in light of its anti-consumer standpoint?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: why does verizon cripple phones?
phoneproblem

fyi: this is for a blackberry tour with severely crippled bluetooth

0 Likes
phoneproblem

how about answering my question instead of sanitizing my posts?

0 Likes
TheSpoom

I'm concerned by this as well.  I was trying a BlackBerry Tour in a Verizon store when my fiancee was getting a new phone (as her previous one has broken).  I noticed, exactly as I expected, that Verizon crippled the bluetooth on it such that you could only use it for headsets and transferring contacts; no picture transfer, no file transfer, none of the features that phones on other networks have built in.

So what of it, Verizon?  You're not presenting a very good case to a potential customer.

{keep it relevant}

0 Likes
phoneproblem

exactly! i read somewhere that the get-in-now content providers contract is part of the reason why, but i can't for the life of me get an honest answer out of verizon. there are international standards in place for a reason, and when those standards are broken, people get very confused.

i wanted to transfer four pictures from my tour to my desktop. here is the procedure with broken (let's call it what it is) bluetooth:

1. remove battery cover

2. remove memory card

3. insert memory card into memory card adapter

4. insert memory card adapter into card reader

5. find files on card

6. copy files from card to desktop

7. remove adapter from card reader

8. remove card from adapter

9. insert card into phone

10. replace battery cover

here's how it is done when bluetooth is not broken and the bluetooth partnership has been previously configured:

1. on desktop, initiate connection to phone

2. find files on phone

3. copy files from phone to desktop

so there is the applicable procedure to transfer files from your tour to your desktop, verizon-style.

{keep it relevant}

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon is anti-consumer?  {keep it courteous}Bluetooth isn't the only way to transfer. If you are so convinced that VZW is anti-consumer, go with another carrier.

Have you seen the USB cable that came with your Tour? There is no need to remove the card.

0 Likes
Coachbulldog

I am a BlackBerry Curve user and everytime someone brings up Verizon "crippling phones" bluetooth is the first, almost only, item mentioned. I believe we can stipulate that Verizon cripples the bluetooth function on BlackBerry handsets. My question is this, what other features does Verizon "cripple"? I have been using my Curve for several months now and haven't found anything else I want to do on my phone that I cannot.

0 Likes
phoneproblem

GPS is often crippled. they went through a class action lawsuit recently in california.

i could use the USB cable but that would defeat the purpose of bluetooth, had verizon not defeated it first.

forgot to mention tethering as well. did you know windows mobile phones and blackberry devices all come standard with tethering capability, but verizon removes it, then sells it back to you in the form of vzaccess?

0 Likes
phoneproblem

Coachbulldog wrote:

I am a BlackBerry Curve user and everytime someone brings up Verizon "crippling phones" bluetooth is the first, almost only, item mentioned. I believe we can stipulate that Verizon cripples the bluetooth function on BlackBerry handsets. My question is this, what other features does Verizon "cripple"? I have been using my Curve for several months now and haven't found anything else I want to do on my phone that I cannot.

congratulations! i'm glad that you are happy with your phone!

however, i'm not you and i use my phone in different ways than you do. so saying that there isn't anything else on your phone that you want to use that is currently crippled is comparing apples and oranges.

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

If I was that unhappy with VZW, I would just switch.

0 Likes