Can I use a family members upgrade on another line?
KM536986

So my mother currently has an upgrade on her line but doesn't intend to use it. I however do not have an upgrade until January but need to get a new phone. Instead of using the insurance and paying $150 for a replacement iPhone 4, I'd much rather just spend $199 for an iPhone 5...obviously. Is it possible for my mother to order an iPhone 5 on her account, and then activate it on my line so that I can use it?

I think I've heard that Verizon won't let you do this unless the new phone has been active on the original account for like 3 months, but that seems stupid to me. Why do they care who gets the phone?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use a family members upgrade on another line?
jojo122488
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes you can do that. What you would have to do (if you have a consumer account, not a business account) is first activate the phone on her line, deactivate the phone and then reactivate it on your line. As long as you are with the primary account owner, you can head to the Verizon store and they will do everything for you. It get's a little tricky if you try to go without the person who is the Account Owner (i've had problems in the past). But you can absolutely upgrade her line and then activate the phone for yours. They just can't transfer the upgrade since the phone is pre-ordered.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jojo122488
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes you can do that. What you would have to do (if you have a consumer account, not a business account) is first activate the phone on her line, deactivate the phone and then reactivate it on your line. As long as you are with the primary account owner, you can head to the Verizon store and they will do everything for you. It get's a little tricky if you try to go without the person who is the Account Owner (i've had problems in the past). But you can absolutely upgrade her line and then activate the phone for yours. They just can't transfer the upgrade since the phone is pre-ordered.

0 Likes
KM536986

That's good info. Thanks!

Now if I were to do this, my mom would have to sign up for a data plan at the time of purchase right?

0 Likes
KM536986

Have you done this before? I'm going to go to the VZW store today and ask about it. But I don't know why a Verizon rep I contacted online would say I'd need to activate it on her line for 3 months.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Does your mom currently have a smartphone? Unlimited data? If you do this on her line she would lose unlimited data if she has it.

0 Likes
KM536986

No, she has an old flip phone. But I have unlimited data, which I know i'd lose. Kind of upset about that even though I don't think I've ever used more than 2GB of data.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

If you use her upgrade, you will not lose your unlimited data.

Edit: however, if she uses your upgrade when she needs a phone because she gave hers to you, you would THEN lose your unlimited data.

0 Likes
KM536986

Really? I guess that makes sense. That would be great. I just hope the VZW store I go to today actually says they can do this for me. I'm skeptical since an online rep said it was not possible until after the phone was on her line for 3 months.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

It seems VZW does require the phone to get activated for a few seconds before the transfer.

0 Likes