MiFi 4620L with GPS Tracker, What COM do I use? How do I confirm it is working?
OTRUser

I am using a free download of GPS Tracker.  This software is supposed to utilize Google maps and the MiFi hotspot phone as a GPS communicator.  I think I have stumbled across the COM port to use.  COM 3 seems to allow the software to start up without the "COM not found" warning.  But I'm still getting no indication that I am receiving GPS.  There is no satellite image in the display and no other data posted suggesting things are working. 

Do I have to be outside for this to work?  Is my COM port OK?  Can I improve reception with an antennae?  What do I need to do to see something on the satellite and GPS tabs for the basic display of GPS Tracker?

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4620L with GPS Tracker, What COM do I use? How do I confirm it is working?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Everything that you need should be available in the 4620L User Guide:

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/vzw_mifi_4620_jetpack/4620_manual.pdf

See page 68 for more info on the GPS over Wi-Fi feature.

In a nutshell you need to make sure that your application and computer are setup to recieve the GPS stream that is generated from the MiFi.  A specific port needs to be created by the GPS driver.  Once the port is created point your app at it and wait to see if it can recieve the GPS signal.

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4620L with GPS Tracker, What COM do I use? How do I confirm it is working?
OTRUser

John, could you recommend some free software to try with this feature to confirm that my MiFi settings are correct?

0 Likes
Re: MiFi 4620L with GPS Tracker, What COM do I use?  How do I confirm it is working?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Unfortunately I do not have any free software recommendations that are compatible with this feature of the MiFi 4620L : (.  All I know is what I have read in the manual and from other threads on this forum.

I'd suggest doing a web search for "Free NMEA software" and see what pops up.  There should be a few options to choose from that are free or have a free trial.

0 Likes