Re: RAZR MAXX GPS Not Working
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It's not necessarily a glitch, Maps does now have offline map storage, so it is possible to use a stored section of the map without a data connection. However, I don't know for sure if that stored data would survive a reboot, especially if it was just cached data and not intentionally saved.

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

Incidentally, I receive an email when there is a new post here. The email says I can 'reply' via email. That never works - it always bounces So I need to come here to reply. So far, I have not been successful 'logging in' here from any mobile device. I have to go to the PC and the VZ web site, where I can log in and post a reply.

Since Nav worked OK on a leg through Yosemite National Park on route to White Wolf, with no cell signal, I doubt that Nav was using a stored map segment - I had not traveled there with my phone, and I doubt that the map segment from my point of origin is big enough. Also, the person in our party who had an iPhone was able to use its location services with no cell signal. I wasn't able to use Maps or Earth with the RAZR  MAXX, so I left it behind after the first day. Nav stopped working on the return trip because of the loss of data and because it was looking for a cell signal. Eventually, it came back on until it died following the ICS update.

Last night I cleared data and cache for the Maps app and turned the phone off for ten hours. I started Maps and Nav again after starting it up this morning. Same problem. Nav gives the message "This is Beta" upon start-up. Immediately upon starting Nav once a Maps destination is input, i see the display message "Searching for GPS" at the bottom of the screen, and it does not go away.

Thanks again for all your help. I still don't see any way to get to Motorola and/or Google Maps support, and so far most of the most sensible approaches are not changing anything. I notice that other navigation apps are available, such as Locus, OruxMaps, OsmAnd+, and RMaps - they are listed along with the EclipSim GPS lock app. Maybe I should try some of them before I junk the phone.

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

spartan948265 - have you solved this problem yet? I haven't.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

This is from another thread on a different board.

Try the GPS Status first. Apparently it forces your GPS chip to search for the actual satellites and obtains a lock on them. Then the others seem to work after (you do NOT need to run GPS Status each time you want to use GPS.

I just downloaded and installed GPS Status, rebooted my phone and then started GPS Status under a clear sky and it locked onto 7 Satellites almost immediately. 

Start GPS Status and then start Nav.  I just tried this and Nav was locked on immediately.  Without starting GPS Status it takes forever to get a GPS Lock.

Iam sure this is a fluke, however my map location was seriously off. I disabled google location and it has been perfect everytime. I quit using the app LOCAL with google disabled and I use WHERE. Its perfect and gave me twice the info when looking for something. Not sure how the google location service when enabled effected this. Oh well, thats my 2 cents!

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. We've tried this before. Where on the GPS Status do I see the number of satellites supporting a fix? My map has been fine so far - the only glitch was during the Yosemite trip when there was no data connection. I will try GPS Status again, but maybe I have a setting wrong? All I see on the display is the compass and current bearing.

0 Likes
JJAC2843
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK!! Done! I enabled all check boxes in the GPS Status settings, rebooted, ran it. Saw display of 8/10 satellites. Opened Nav, provided a destination and immediately received navigation voice advice. Don't know why Motorola/Google require a foreign app to get GPS working, but it now seems to work as well as in the past (before ICS upgrade). Thank you very much! I will leave this thread open another few days while I validate that it works in those California locations that I will be visiting and also to see if others have additional commentary. If it works ok and no more comments then I will close this discussion thread and hope for the best as I strike out across country. THANKS AGAIN!

0 Likes