Getting Backup Assistant on older handsets
danburn

Does anyone have an update as to the current status of this problem with access to the media store (to activate Backup Assistant) for older handsets?  I've had a Motorola RAZR on my Verizon account for years, and I've always used Backup Assistant.  My unit went on the fritz, so I got another RAZR and had Verizon activate it.  It works fine, except I'm now blocked from using the BA.  I read all the postings here about workarounds (especially the postings by MikeS1_VZW), but so far no success.

I called 611 support, and the very helpful tech posted instructions for the fix on my account, so that the person at the Verizon corporate store could follow along.  This didn't work (at two different stores).  The techs said that the hyperlinks didn't work.

I called the 611 technical assistance again and went from front-line person, to Tier 2 support to that person's supervisor.  The supervisor told me unambiguously that it was impossible to flash the older devices to get BA now, regardless of what I may have read on "blogs."  She told me that the RAZR can't support BA even though I've used it for years!

I love my RAZR and I don't like Verizon's transparent attempt at extorting me to buy another phone.  Next step is a formal written complaint to Verizon with copy to the NYS attorney general's office.  The AG is used to quasi-monopolies mistreating customers.  I mean, Verizon took away a service I used for years, after paying them $1000s, buying multiple handsets, a computer and a 4G data service.  This is how they treat their good customers, apparently.

0 Likes
Re: Error Cannot retrieve catalog... (3328) Backup Asst.
maddogg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mr. Mike:

Any luck determining why Moto W755s won't do the cert. upgrade? (Or at least my local IL store cannot get it to reflash)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
FTJoe

I called a store in Paramus NJ and they said they aren't even flashing phones anymore because it resets them and people were getting irate.  I find it hard to believe that is true.  I guess I'll have to try a few more stores.  Luckily, all 5 phones I have are up for renewal.  Been like that for a while.  Every time I call for something and they can't help, they notice that and ask why I don't just upgrade.  i point out they are like that because with disappointment after diappointment I vowed 3 years ago to not be stuck getting out of the contract.  Here's yet another disappointment.

0 Likes
woodmaster9

This is the biggest bunch of **bleep** crap I have heard of..

so basically Verizon breaks a feature of our phones; they say they told us but clearly they did not tell all of us; They have not trained their staff on how to resolve the issue; they put the burden upon the customer to go from store to store in search of a technician with enough brain power to interpret some emailed instructions (which the customer must provide); and even then it's a hit or miss proposition... depending upon whether they have a special cable and wheteher they feel like fooling with it.

This is really something. This is the stuff class action suits are made of. They are trying to force everyone onto newer phones so they can keep us under contract forever and so they can sell us a data plan.

0 Likes
alibabba

I had a eNV2 flashed today in Rome Ga.

They flashed it and tried to bring up the get it now and it would not work so they bluetoothed my contacts from another phone.

Later on this afternoon I decided to do a hard reset, pulled the battery and reinstalled it, and what do you know...it worked!!

They fixed it and did not even know it......think I will call them and let them know....lol

0 Likes
skridler

I also posted this in the following related threads.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/493678
Unable to download Backup Assistant_ Error (3332)

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/502284/
New software update means I cant use Get It Now anymore!

I know this thread has been inactive for several months, but in case my findings are helpful, here they are. Also, to the folks who posted information, thank you very much! If you only want the core facts, skip to the last paragraph.

My husband had a Casio GZ'One V from around 2007, and I handle the account for him. It is bulkier than he needs, so we wanted to switch to another phone of a similar age that we already had. I went to the Verizon site and tried to follow the instructions for switching phones, but they don't even tell you how to do it on a "feature phone" (one that is not a smart phone, etc...) They tell you to back up your contacts, but don't tell you whether using Backup Assistant is free to people with only a voice plan, and no data plan. (I never expected it would be free, but I searched threads & found out that it is supposedly free, though I have learned not to trust anything with Verizon.) So I decided to try backing up the contacts via Backup Assistant.

Poking around on the Casio, I found the choice for "Get New App." under the menu for "Get Going". But after trying to connect, it said "Unable to retrieve catalog. Please try again later. (3328)" Of course, trying later is no help. Not knowing that we could have used the Backup Assistant with no data plan, we never tried it. From this thread and related ones, I found out that many older phones that never used Backup Assistant would not be able to start using it, due to a change that Verizon made in March of 2011. However, for certain older phones, a Verizon store could allegedly re-enable Backup Manager. Our phone was on the list, so we had lost our chance to back it up ourselves, but threads said if we found a Verizon store with the right equipment, they could transfer our contacts & re-enable the ability. Wait until you read the next phase of this misadventure!

I called our local Athens, GA Verizon store on Epps Bridge Road and at the prompts, selected the number for technical support. Danika answered and assured me that they could transfer the contacts at the store. I asked if she was sure they have the specific equipment to do so. She insisted that all stores do! I happened to ask to confirm the store hours, and she said I'd have to call the store. Ha! I told her I HAD called the store. She said that I’d called an 800 number. So I realized that even after calling the store number, only some of the prompts really lead to the store. Others lead to a general facility, without saying so. Clear as mud.

So I called the store number AGAIN and chose a prompt for buying something, because that always gets better attention. A guy there had a very different story from Danika. He said that only some stores have the equipment to transfer contacts from older phones, and that they may be able to do it via Bluetooth wireless. He would not tell me whether they could help with my specific phone. So I had to go there to try my luck.

Some other guy who never said his name helped us. He said that the stores used to have technicians for transferring contacts, but that Verizon took away the technicians and the special computers they used. Therefore, the store had no equipment to transfer the contacts. (Incidentally, he was surprised I had the list of phones for which the stores are supposed to be able to re-enable Contact Manager. He had never seen a list.)

In summary, because we never launched Backup Assistant before this year, the only way to transfer the contacts from our two year old Casio GZ'One V phone to any other phone is to find a store in some other city that can still do it. For us, the inability to do it is not as bad as Verizon’s failure to tell us the truth. Having to search this hard for an answer is ABSURD!!! If there were ANY other service with coverage reaching our rural home, I would never use Verizon again!

0 Likes
soab

So has this process been revised or is it more difficult now than it was in the past? I am tired of the LG Cosmos and I am not upgrading to a data plan. The Chocolate was one of my favorite phones and newer phones aren't getting better..

Thanks!

Alex

0 Likes