Disable 3G in Android 2.3.4?
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

I will be travelling to Canada soon and don't wish to pay extra for 3G service. (I'll rely on WiFi instead.)

How do I disable 3G service in Android 2.3.4? Will this work:

Settings > Wireless and networks > Mobile network (toggle off or on)

Alternatively, is there an app for this in Google Play that will work correctly with my HTC Droid Incredible 2? I was thinking of Data ON-OFF.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Re: Disable 3G in Android 2.3.4?
Tidbits
Legend

Throw your phone into airplane mode then turn on WiFi.

0 Likes
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Won't that prevent me from making calls?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes. Was assuming you were not planning on roaming charges and unless you have a international plan for calling you will be roaming.

0 Likes
CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Back to my original question:

How do I disable 3G service in Android 2.3.4? Will this work:

Settings > Wireless and networks > Mobile network (toggle off or on)

Alternatively, is there an app for this in Google Play that will work correctly with my HTC Droid Incredible 2? I was thinking of Data ON-OFF.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes that will turn off your mobile network and still allow you to make phone calls.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

CellDaddy
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks...you are correct.

Before I had a chance to read your reply I went to a Verizon Wireless store and they told me the same thing:

Settings > Wireless and networks > Mobile network (toggle off or on) toggles 3G off and on, and you/I can still make calls with 3G toggled off. I will pay a roaming charge ($0.69/minute) for calls made from Canada, but no big deal since I won't call much.

0 Likes