[Resolved!] Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All

I would like to port my Verizon wireless number to Google Voice but keep my existing plan, service and contract. I don't want to lose my Verizon unlimited data, corporate discount and open a new account. Every customer service rep I spoke with is confused and I can't get a straight answer. Is this possible? Has anyone done this? If a Verizon wireless employee could give me an answer on here that would be awesome.

I have successfully ported my number to Google Voice without termination of contract, losing unlimited data or corporate discount. See below for instructions.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
maguswizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm looking to do the same thing. Did you figure this out? Would be great to hear what you ended up doing, and how it went.

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

Still trying to get an answer out of someone knowledgable. @VZWSupport on twitter is ignoring my question. I may do the number swap and see how that goes. Start the porting process on Google, login to My Verzion and change my number immediately and see how that goes.

I also thought about opening a second line and throw an old phone on it, swapping the numbers and porting that way. I'll keep this post updated.

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just started the porting process. I kicked off the port with Google voice and after I input all my details and paid the $20. I then immediately requested a new number on My Verizon website. I still have service and my number is already linked to my phone. My account is still active with unlimited data and corporate discount. When I call my number I am porting I am greeted with a Verizon wireless message that my number has been changed, disconnect or no longer in service. I am told the porting process takes 24 hours. I will report back if anything changes but hopefully the process goes smoothly. Fingers crossed.

dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

*UPDATE*

My plan, features, unlim data and corp discount are still intact. I am able to make/receive calls fine through my new Verizon number. Google Voice still says "in progress" (which is good I hope).

The fact that my account is still in good standing yet when I call my old Verizon number and hear the disconnect message tells me the port request did not terminate my Verizon service. I'm about 8 hours into the 24 hour port process. So far so good.

0 Likes
maguswizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

dsmero, was your verizon plan under contract when you started this? Do you think it matters?

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I am still under contract.

0 Likes
tcwill
Enthusiast - Level 1

Any updates on the success of this process?  Did Google Voice complete the number port?

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm 23 hours into the port. Google says it takes 24 so we'll see. My plan, unlim data, new number and corp discount are all in good standings.

I've read online that for others that had their number ported that it takes nearly the full 24 hours. Hopefully I'll know something within the hour.

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am happy to report that my number ported to Google Voice. It took exactly 24 hours. Calls are going through fine, however, texts are not being delivered. I am told this can take another day or two.

Use my method above to port your number but please kind in mind that this does carry risks. Just because it worked for me doesn't mean that it will work for others.

0 Likes