Re: Samsung Brightside? Until they fix DO NOT BUY
Y1

I don't have the problem with connecting to the internet because I told them to remove the internet. This is the one thing I like better than AT&T because I can still send and receive picture messages (if you remove data from AT&T you can't send/receive multimedia).

I actually have a problem with the touch screen lagging, though that could be a phone problem too. How do you lock the phone from making calls? I do mostly texting and not much calling. I know about the lock key locking the display screen... Sometimes it tries to call voicemail by accident and I don't want to make any mistake calls.

0 Likes
Wally45
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is what Verizon told me, which did not work:

From the main screen tap Settings 

·        Tap Phone Settings

·        Tap  Security

·        Enter Lock Code ???? displays, enter the 4 digit lock code ( default: last 4 digits of phone number ).

·         Tap Edit Codes

·         Select Phone Only

·        Select Calls & Services

·        Enter service lock code - ???? displays, enter the 4 digit lock code.

New Code ???? displays, enter the NEW desired code

Confirm Code - ???? displays, re-enter the NEW 4 digit lock code.

0 Likes
Y1

Yep didn't work. What's the calls&services one even for?

0 Likes
pljohnson123

My daughter was having the same problem with the charging screen coming up, when its not plugged in.

they replaced the battery and didn't solve the problem,

now they are replacing the phone, after reading alllllll of the complaints, I hope the new phone works.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

everyone who has experienced and CONTINUES to experience epic fail of calendar and alarm functions READ THIS:

1. The Calendar and Alarm features are controlled by date and time, correct? So the software written for both has programming codes that "tell" the Calendar when to alert the user to a calendar event; and same for an the Alarm - you set the Alarm to go off once, daily, weekdays, weekends, or a custom alarm. But again, the Alarm is powered by date and time.

2. Look in the options under Calendar. The word "recurrence" is a misnomer because if you are creating a Calendar Event to go off just one time, you HAVE to choose "RECURRENCE" to get to any of the options. And recurrence means "something that is going happen AGAIN. So by choosing ONCE you're basically "confusing" the computer because it "sees" RECURRENCE so its expecting an event to happen AGAIN but when you choose ONCE now it has NO IDEA what to do so it just epic fails.

The programming code for recurrence is ERRONEOUS because it's written to find MORE of the same event because that's what RECURRENCE MEANS! The programming code is either erroneous in its entirety, or some part of the code is written incorrectly; or the RECURRENCE option has to be removed COMPLETELY but the programming code for recurrence is screwing up every other calendar event!

For example, if you put in an Event for today - July 7, 2011 and choose ONCE under RECURRENCE, start date as today, end date as today, start time say 5 p.m. and end time 5 p.m. and then save it; then create ANOTHER Calendar event say July 27th, and choose DAILY under RECURRENCE and then save it, when you pull up the ORIGINAL calendar even from TODAY it has the July 27th DATE ON IT !!!!!

This happens over and over and over and over no matter which options you choose, or combinations thereof.

The programming code is defective, flawed or completely and utterly erroneous OR THERE IS A BUG IN IT THAT NO ONE REMOVED WHEN THEY TESTED TO SEE IF THESE TWO FEATURES WORKED!!!!!

With all the brilliant people who write software, why can't they figure this out?

here's another thought: If you NEVER use the Calendar or set ANY events, I wonder if the Alarm will work?

Chances are it won't because again, the programming code for both features is written to use DATE and TIME as the foundation upon which events are scheduled to "go off" and ditto for alarms. the code probably has "tentacles" that reach out and control the Alarm feature which again is powered by Date and Time.

My old Samsung Intensity II still works fine - the Calendar goes off, the Alarm goes off. Whatever software is in that phone for Calendar and Alarm should be compared to what is in the Samsung Brightside. This is not rocket science. But this is a clear cut case of a flawed cell phone and I am now absolutely undeniably convinced that ALL of the Samsung Brightsides are defective and that while the versions of software may be "different" in the "batches" of Samsung Brightsides that are manufactured and released, there remains a BUG or a broken or erroneous programming code for the Calendar and Alarm features!

I'm not a technical wizard by any means but I have common sense and given that I have been a reporter for 30 years, I ask a lot of questions. And since March, I've asked thousands of questions and not one person has given me an answer. I think i have this figured out. I think I know what's wrong.

The problem is that neither Verizon nor Samsung will address this issue because no one has found the broken code, erroneous code, flawed code, etc. OR worse - it's a firmware issue and a recall of the Samsung Brightsides would be into the millions.

Think about how many of these cell phones have been manufactured and sold to consumers. The monetary loss on a recall is staggering. To us, though, as consumers. Not to Verizon or Samsung. Verizon is trying its best to silence me (I have proof of same) but this is about consumers who are being sold a cell phone that, as attractive as it is because of its touch screen and the fact you do NOT have to buy a media/data package, consumers like this phone. I love my phone. I have since the day I got it. Or rather, the NEW Samsung Brightside I was given which is and continues to be defective. Same phone, same problems.

All I ever wanted was what I paid for. that's what consumers want. Nothing more, nothing less. But when someone starts making noise about how the corporate giants won't address what could be a HUGE financial issue to them because the item in question is truly and genuinely flawed and defective and those corporate giants know how costly it will be to them to issue a recall, well, they do their best to silence the critics.

This isn't a game. Consumers spend millions and millions of dollars on electronics, cell phones, etc. and we simply want what we paid for. No more, no less.

0 Likes
Steve_Minneapolis

I'm afraid that your grasp of "programming code" is not in depth enough to apply to the software in this phone...  That being said, your detailed testing, explanation and the time you took to write it here is commendable -- but unnecessary.  This whole issue has been beaten to death from the start.  A simple post stating that the alarm and calendar entries do not "alarm" and a statement that Verizon has only offered to replace with a like phone or a different one -- if you are inside of the 14-day "Worry Free" period, would be a perfect "original" post.  That followed by 20 "I've got the same problem" would hold much more credibility and influence in Verizon's eyes than 20 pages of rants, bitches and threats.

I think that it is important for everyone here to realize - no one knows what Verizon or Samsung did, knows, is doing or cares about.  It is also important to understand that talking to any one Verizon person, lowly sales person through CEO, is going to yield different versions of problem (or no-problem) knowledge - whether their response is truthful or not.  One thing I do know is that the repeated mention of poor Carolyn in an Illinois store and the information she divulged in confidence has, by now, gotten her fired.

In the grand scheme of large corporate operations, one phone out of hundreds or 100 customers out of millions means nothing to them -- and it SHOULDN'T and it CAN'T.  Yes, they are "selling it for a profit" - a phrase that has been repeated here ad nauseum and a point that needs no mention.  It all boils down to profit -- that is the ONLY reason that Verizon or Samsung are in business.  The threat of a state Attorney General investigation holds no sway because of the exact results shown in this thread -- not enough people EVER complain and their pat answer is "go ahead, sue them yourself".  Well, thanks for the permission!

Verizon and Samsung are not in this situation alone.  Every carrier and every manufacturer play exactly the same game. And EVERY corporation in the world plays too.  But... This “phone” game also falls under “Who cares about Basic Phones, everyone is buying Smartphones”, so attention to cheap, basic phones falls way, way down the ladder. So, is it hopeless?  No. 

You CAN get some satisfaction from the Customer Service line.  You can exchange the phone for free, on-line or in the store, within the 14-day Worry Free time period.  I guess if you weren’t able to test your phone and figure-out that it didn’t work within those 14-days, then you will have to rely on the kindness of strangers.  If you call Customer Service and nicely explain the problem, that it is documented online, that a replacement phone won’t help, they – with the involvement of Tech Support – have the power to fix your problem with a different phone.  But, this is entirely up to their digression and if you give them any shit (they’re NOT responsible for what the company does!), they might forget the options at their disposal.  Don’t try this in the store because they need authorization from Customer Support – kind of backwards.  You can also keep the phone and wait for the update that should come.  The last update did fix the T9Word problem so there is hope.  The way to tell if an update is NOT going to come is easily visible on the website.  If the Brightside disappears from the list of available phones, there will be no update. This is exactly what happened to the Pantech Crux I had – which had the EXACT same problems with some additional reboot problems.  If they stop selling the Brightside, call Customer Service AGAIN and tell them your story and they will easily let you get a new phone of any kind with an “Early Upgrade”.

Well, I’m off to the Verizon Store to exchange my Brightside for something in an LG flavor…  Or maybe I’ll exercise the second-from-last option and move to a Smartphone.

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

Dear Steve in Minneapolis: thank you for your explanation. It is commendable that you took the time to enlighten consumers as to their options in receiving another cell phone and that any efforts to get Verizon and Samsung to admit that the Brightside is defective will epic fail - just like the calendar and alarm features. 

noteworthy - I am on my second Samsung Brightside, brand new out of the box, and initially tested by both the tech support at the premier Verizon retailer at which I purchased the phone and their team of Verizon Tech support employees.

I was assured it worked.

It has failed.

My best friend of 30 years is a software developer for a Fortune 100 company. SHE (not I) gave me the inside as to the software issue, the programming code(s) so I am not talking out of my behind. She stated this problem could also be a firmware issue. but thank you for pointing out to me (out of context) that I am a dim witted moron who has no clue what she's talking about when it comes to programming codes. your candidness is commendable.

Verizon - its Customer Service or it's over the phone tech support - has offered no information. I have contacted them but have been met with the same response: To date, no one has heard of any complaints nor is aware of any problems with the Samsung Brightside. Translated (out of context): All consumers who are having identical problems with the Samsung Brightside and who have posted same on this forum and many other forums of this nature AND inclusive of the hundreds and hundreds of emails I have received in response to my posts on this forum must be collectively lying or hallucinating about the epic fail of the Calendar and Alarm.

Thank you again for pointing that out.

If Verizon fired Carolyn in the Illinois store, then she should sue for wrongful termination. A customer came in to her store who had bought a Brightside, experienced the identical problems and Carolyn told the consumer the truth. She chose honesty over corporate puppet and told her customer that Verizon is and has been well aware but has failed to inform its consumers. imagine how all the other consumers felt who were told nothing is wrong with the Brightside but yet a Verizon employee states that the problems are well documented in an internal Verizon employee problem blog. What is so 'secret' about that? It's not like she was volunteering any confidential information. She told the truth. It is shameful and pathetic if Verizon fired her for telling the truth.

I have been a reporter for more than 30 years and my career has revolved around asking questions - and getting answers. I value the truth above all else.

While I appreciate that you believe the update "should" come - I am not convinced. It has been four months. No one has addressed the problem at all. The only person to address it - and tell the truth - is Carolyn.

And FYI: Verizon offers "Certified Like New" Samsung Brightsides as replacements for those consumers who want to exchange the phone outside of the initial 14 day return period. You don't get to pick and choose another phone outside of that 14 day return period.

and those alleged certified like new samsung brightsides fail, too.

I do concede that many probably do not know the Brightside's Calendar and the Alarm functions do not work.

In conclusion, consumers are stuck with the Brightside have no recourse at all other than to spend more money for another phone or, as you state, call Customer Service at Verizon if it no longer offers the Brightside for (?) reasons and consumers may "tell their story" and Verizon will 'easily let (consumers) get a new phone of any kind with an Early Update."

For free, correct? Because that would be the COMMENDABLE thing to do for Verizon consumers. And as compensation for having bought a defective cell phone because after all, there are many consumers who cannot afford to spend more money on a new cell phone.

And correction: Not everyone is buying Smartphones.

Good luck with your new purchase.

0 Likes
dave_in_NJ

We just experienced the phone shutting off when the slide is opened to try to text. 

It shuts off about 9 times in 10

very discomforting to see this thread. even more discomforting that there is no real solution offered from Verizon.

as for the concept that no one cares about these cheap phones, I would offer than every single person using them does.

0 Likes
FlorencePS
Enthusiast - Level 1

PMack62 wrote:

"...here's another thought: If you NEVER use the Calendar or set ANY events, I wonder if the Alarm will work?

Chances are it won't because again, the programming code for both features is written to use DATE and TIME as the foundation upon which events are scheduled to "go off" and ditto for alarms. the code probably has "tentacles" that reach out and control the Alarm feature which again is powered by Date and Time..."

I know I'm coming a little late to the party, but I, too, came here due to not knowing how to navigate my "Smart" phone, the Samsung Brightside and I was mesmerized by this string on the the Alarm feature.  BTW, I purchased mine in April of 2012.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I have never used the Calendar feature or set any events, however, I was just able to set the alarm and it worked.  However, once I dismissed it, my phone went to an app "Daily Scoop," which I have never used, and it's not the first time that my phone has wandered (reason I'm here).

First off, I traded in a perfectly good, albeit, older LG (not too unlike the EnV) flip phone with a keypad that was good for texting, but not why I bought it b/c I don't text.  I loved that phone, but the battery kept dying and when I took it in to a bona fide Verizon Wireless phone store (the only one I've been going to since I moved down to SC), they said they no longer supported that phone, so had no batteries, and wouldn't I love a new touchscreen Smart phone?  Not!!!  This phone has been nothing but aggravating since I bought it.  Some things have to do with  not liking the technology of a touchscreen.  Like someone before pointed out, it easily "butt" dials just by touching the screen even though it is locked.  Can't tell you how many times my heart sank as I saw it dial someone who I just keep in my phone so I DON'T answer their calls, or heard something out of the corner of my ear only to realize it was accessing the Internet, when I DON'T want that to happen either because I have both a limited minutes and data plan.

Then there's the "ghost" things it does, like just starts ringing for no apparent reason.  Or, like when I'm driving and leaving a message using my Plantronics blue tooth, try to hang up like usual by hitting the ear piece button, then hear a few minutes later, "Your message will be deleted due to inactivity, please press 2(?) now or hang up."  This happened to me twice last week when I was trying to leave a message for work with no ability to pull off the road safely or reach for the phone and try to touch keypad on my "Smart" phone screen w/out causing an accident. This NEVER happened before on my LG I just talked then hit the button on my earpiece. Plus, I could hook up to voice recognition so much easier on it when I needed to concentrate on the road. Don't feel confident about even trying this while driving with the BS.  Unless someone calls me, I don't even attempt to try and make a call unless I've pulled over to do it safely.

Plus, another issue with the Blue Tooth--I can never tell when it's hooked up to the BS or not. Sometimes I've completely turned off the BT only to find that the BS thinks it's still connected, so I miss those calls.  I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm sure no spring chicken either, and I'm fairly competent when it comes to technology, but the Samsung BS has brought me to my knees.  This is one electronic piece of equipment that I HATE!  I take full responsibility for not trying to have returned it within a reasonable timeframe when I saw how difficult it was to use, but at the time, I just felt I needed to master it, that it would come in time, but it hasn't.

And, one thing that has been bouncing around in my mind is how unsafe it is to really use these phones (any touchscreen).  If I were in an emergency situation, I don't feel confident that I could get to "9" (which is programmed to 911--at least I hope it is in this phone).  At least w/my LG I knew where the key was by touch and feel confident that it would have helped me in whatever situation.  Not so much, or not at all with the Samsung Brightside or any touchscreen for that matter.

Oh, and one last thing.  If you think that Verizon is touchy re: this dud, you should try posting a legitimate concern on Samsung's website.  I pretty much said the part about how unsafe I feel touchscreens are in case someone who was considering buying one hadn't even thought of the differences between a keypad and a touchscreen, so as to give them a heads up; Samsung sent me an email that they wouldn't be posting it; said I would have to reword it.

So much for freedom of speech (in a polite manner).  ;^)

0 Likes
PMack62
Contributor - Level 1

Dear Florence PS: I am not surprised that Samsung denied your request to post your concerns. The Brightside is and has been defective since it rolled off the assembly line. There is either a HUGE software programming code error or a firmware issue and Samsung won't address it to the general public. This problem with the Calendar and the Alarm is and has been well known because I made such a big stink about it and Verizon was all over my back .... You would not believe the emails I received from those certain people who review the comments forum (I can't use the noun to describe this group of people - apparently it's against Verizon's TOS. I was threatened with legal action if I didn't stop posting about the defective Samsung Brightside. Pretty sad day when I tell the truth and I get slammed from those corporate barracudas all because of greed. When I posted the Mass. Attorney General's office mediator name and phone number (all public record anyways) Verizon censored me. And censored me. And censored me. I've been censored so much that I think my constitutional right to freedom of speech has been erased by Verizon!

i've been fighting this fight for four months now. There was an update at 3:39 am today but it did not fix the calendar and alarm issues.

good luck with your phone - this is my second Brightside because the first one was defective and this was a brand new out of the box Brightside which turned out to be defective, too. but I'm going to stick it out for now because I want Verizon to admit it is selling a defective phone and not telling the consumers who have spent millions of dollars on this defective phone exactly what the problem really is. I'm sure I'll get censored here, too.

0 Likes