Looking for a new phone...
taichic1

So my phone was stolen and i'm looking to replace it. I don't care for flip phones and i've fallen in love with the touch phones and smart phones, but there is no way i'm going to pay for a data plan when i won't ever use it and if i did, very rarely. ive looked online and found several lists of basic phones and smartphones that do not require a data plan. I love LG phones and have had several over my 10 years of having verizon. I don't have to have a super new phone (although the new iphone looks nice!!) but i would like to have a touch screen phone and a basic smartphone if at all possible. So far i have found a couple different ones i like. The LG Fathom, LG cosmos and LG Phoenix have all caught my eye. Do any of these not require a data package? Also i know someone who has a phone and doesn't pay extra for internet but uses the wifi signals to use the net and app stores. Can any of these phones use free wifi or do they charge extra?

Thank you so much for your time Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Looking for a new phone...
budone
Legend

Well LG Fathom and the LG Phoenix are not available on VZW. But whoever does offer them will require a data plan.

The Cosmos is a VZW phone and does not require a data plan

0 Likes
taichic1

I wasn't sure about the Fathom because i found it on a link in these forums so I figured id ask...

Here's the link

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/643283#643283

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I did finally find info on a VZW version. But from what I saw it is considered a smartphone

0 Likes
taichic1

Ah, i see. Well since it's a smartphone it automatically needs a 30$ or higher data plan right? i'm still learning about the while data thing. Its hard to keep up with what phones need the plan and which ones don't. They're changed so often it seems like.

0 Likes
taichic1

Does anyone know anything about the wifi connection costs that i mentioned in my original post?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

The only Verizon feature/basic phones (meaning no data package required) that I've ever seen with Wi-Fi are the Kin One(m) and Kin Two(m). (The "m" models have software that was modified from when they were originally released as smartphones for a short time.) Anyway, you'd have to buy those models elsewhere, as Verizon no longer sells them.

Otherwise, every device I've seen with Wi-Fi is considered a smartphone and requires a data package. In order to use Wi-Fi, you'd have to buy hardware (phone) that indicates Wi-Fi capabilities in the specs.

If you don't mind a basic phone with no Wi-Fi, the LG Cosmos Touch got pretty good reviews. I believe Amazon still sells it.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Most smartphones can use Wi-fi hotspots with no charges from the carrier.  The issue is, as others have pointed out, that you will have to pay for the data plan with a smartphone on Verizon Wireless anyway, because it is required.  T-Mobile is the only national postpaid carrier that offers smartphone use without a data plan, and that's if you bring your own device.

0 Likes