Why is it that over 60 Complaints have been made to verizon about the razr screen cracking, and there is still no known issue ? Any answers Verizon?
msh
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have taken the privilege of reposting several comments about the droid Razrs MANUFACTURE DEFECT!!!!!! I have highlighted what I felt where key points in each statement. I hope and entice any one with a similar problem to post your story so Verizon will see this is a "KNOWN PROBLEM"... My questions to Verizon are, when does it become a known problem? What does the consumer have to do to convince you, that we are not all liars.. and Is it impossible to think the producer can make a mistake?

Ms.H says:

I have had my phone less then a month and now there is a crack running vertically between two points of contact, starting at the exact point where my thumb grips on the left side across to the point where my pinky grips on the right side. I made a phone call last night, set my phone down and out of nowhere a crack appeared on the phone. I have been researching the problem and found out it is much more common than not. Verizon will not do any thing to help and I am not willing spend $100 on an insurance claim for what I believe to be a manufacture defect. They need to take ownership! This is a Known problem!
I am currently fighting to prove my phone had a manufacture defect. I am sending it in to motorola accompanied by my own testimony also with links and statements of other people I found online with the similar problem. I have also contacted Corning asking them if their is any truth behind the articles I read, stating that due to the cutting process of the glass it automatically has microscopic fractures on the edges which are prone to crack with pressure on the sides. (Which ultimately would be a manufacture issue!) They should respond within 24 hrs. They will either tell me yes there is truth, They cannot comment, or they might not respond. But I thought it was worth a try, especially to have certified documentation when confronting Motorola who claims to have never heard of this problem… As they tried to tell me today! This is a very frustrating situation and I am tired of Verizon and Motorola always passing the blame onto the consumer. One of Motorola’s sales pitches “THIN NO LONGER MEANS FRAGILE” if thats the case back it up!

Posted on Mar 20, 2012

I had some happy news about 3 weeks ago, when I finally gave up on my Droid X and got a Droid Razr Maxx.  I love the phone and the battery life.  It actually lasted all day which is awesome considering how much juice smartphones need to stay smart. I sent the old X into the Best Buy shop to be discombobulated and returned. I had my new Razr Maxx for about 2 weeks when the unthinkable happened.  A mysterious screen breakage.

I don’t believe most people when it seems obvious they are lying, but after having this happen to me, I now believe most people when they say they don’t know how their smart phone screen broke.  These things must be fragile, so it is user beware regarding breaking the Razr Maxx screens.  My story is as follows:

Checked the phone for messages/emails before leaving for work.  Chilly morning.  Go to work.  Get out of vehicle.  Phone rings while walking to work, and when I get it out it the screen is smashed and broken.  I sent it to Motorola and they won’t cover it.  They sent it back.  It’s a shame the Gorilla Glass more resembles candy glass.  I thought I was going to have a long lasting affair with the Razr Maxx and then this happened.  If you have had something similar happen, please leave a comment here and hopefully we can prove a trend of the screens failing without abnormal wear and tear.

Lucky for me I have the insurance again on this phone and my Droid X is back and functioning properly while I deal with this new POS.  Anyone that gets a smart phone without the insurance is a fool.  These things can’t even last through being removed from a pocket.

If you try to send it in to get fixed, please reference this post so they know that this isn’t an isolated incident.

PS – the comments problem is now fixed, so fire away.

60 Responses to “Droid Razr Maxx – Broken Screen”

1. 1.     

Andrew Carpenter says:

March 22, 2012 at 3:08 am

I just had a similar situation happen to me!! I have had the Razor Maxx no more then three days…when I noticed this afternoon my screen was cracked!! Not only is the screen cracked, it’s cracked in four areas!! Now, I’m a person who takes extra special care of my phone not to drop it or be rough with it & I get all necessary protective accessories with my smart phone investment. My phone is so new, I am still waiting for the protective accessories to come in the mail!! All I know is my phone was in my car in a GPS holder, I drop off some of my clothes to the dry cleaners & low & behold while driving back I notice my screen is cracked in multiple areas!! Iwent to Verizon to argue my case that I didn’t do anything abnormal to cause the screen to be cracked. They said their was nothing they could do!! I was planning to call Motorola tomorrow, but after reading this post that may be futile. I just can’t believe that this “Kevlar Gorilla Glass” cracked like peanut brittle!! Of course I have insurance on this phone & I can file an insurance claim & get another phone, but I believe I shouldn’t have to pay for something that I didn’t cause!! I really think their has to be some sort of defect with the glass for this phone…

1. 2.     

Johnny Z says:

March 22, 2012 at 9:05 am

Our only hope is that everyone with this problem leaves a message here and we can take it to Motorola as proof that their phone is defective and it isn’t abuse that caused the screens to crack.

Sending the phone back to Motorola will just cause you to be without it for over a week.

1. 3.     

Andrew says:

March 23, 2012 at 11:04 am

I just switched from X2 to Droid Razr yesterday. Today was my first day carrying it. Had it in my back pocket while walking on the production floor. Apparently bending down was too much flex for it. Didn’t notice it until just now. So mine lasted approximately 3 hours before breaking. Sucks since I really like the Razr. I don’t want to go back to 3G, but at least my X2 was robust.

1. 4.     

Johnny Z says:

March 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

@ Andrew

That really stinks man. Hope you have the insurance. And really, if a phone can’t handle being in a pocket what good is it? I do really like the phone, but hate it’s brittle nature and can’t recommend it unless they fix that aspect of it and take care of customers that are getting hosed like us.

1. 5.     

Steve K says:

March 24, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Just received a droid Maxx yesterday and one large crack from top right down the entire screen to the bottom in less than 24 hours. It is my sons. Not exactly sure what happened but he said it wasn’t dropped or anything. He had the original droid for over 2 years w/o any issues. All my other 5 droids never had trouble, droid 1, droid 2 global and droid 3′s.

1. 6.     

Johnny Z says:

March 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I’m getting one person a day leaving comments about similar situations here. But of course, it couldn’t be Motorola that is wrong here, it has to be the lying customer base abusing their faultless equipment.

1. 7.     

Alindner says:

March 26, 2012 at 9:39 am

I had my Maxx for barely a month, most of which was it still in its box as i hadn’t transitioned over to it. I’m not sure if the “Cracks” in my phone are the same as all of you sound like its a visible crack. Mine i noticed is when the phone has light coming through from the back (such as when the flashlight app is on) i see a cluster of cracks in the top left corner and then additional cracks/marks throughout the screen. I went to verizon and they tried to tell me that its the type of screen that it is and the they had seen it before….which is crap since there is no logic to that and my brother has a maxx as well without this issue…sounds more like bad manufacturing.

1. 8.     

Andrew says:

March 27, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Update on my phone – turns out it is the actual video screen that is cracked, not the gorilla glass. So you can’t feel any of the cracks, but the screen still doesn’t work. The phone is still functioning, but there is no way to interface with it. Since mine is purchased through my corporate account, it may be replaced at no cost. However, if so, I imagine that will not be the norm.

1. 9.     

Alanna says:

March 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Ive had my Razr Maxx for a month. I have the Otterbox protector on it. It just dropped on the ground and the entire face is shattered. ugh. I just switched from the Droid 2. I dropped that sucker almost every day and the screen NEVER cracked.

1. 10.   

Chris says:

March 28, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I have had my Maxx for exactly two months to the day when I was sitting eating lunch when my phone fell off of my lap onto the floor. I pick it up to find a hair line crack on my screen which no longer functions. (I had a screen protector and a phone case on my phone while this had occurred) Luckily I had insurance. I have called Motorolla and got nowhere and the best reccomendation that Verizon could give me was to call Asurion. My previous phone was a Motorolla Devour which is ancient. I’ve had it for roughly 4 years and dropped countless times. I don’t understand how the screen on a 4+ year old phone is alot tougher/better than the supposed “upgraded” glass screen.

1. 11.   

Larry says:

March 29, 2012 at 5:36 am

Mine cracked and went blank yesterday (3/21/12) for no apparent reason other than having it in my pocket. Thought this was supposed to be a tough phone. Don’t have the insurance since I am not rough with my phones and over 15 years have never damaged a phone. Guess I’m screwed.

1. 12.   

Gary says:

March 29, 2012 at 3:08 pm

1. Ok. Add me to the list. Got the Razr Maxx for my son and the screen lasted 4 DAYS! Now it has a nice crack across the middle. No abuse. I know for certain he does baby his phone and really loved this one. Now he’s heart-broken. Whole family has various Motorola Droids. None have had any problems. 4 days? Didn’t get the insurance since never really needed it before. To say I’m angry is an understatement.
    1. 13.   

kim says:

March 29, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I too am having the same problem. I have had my new droid razor maxx for only 13 days. I woke up this morning, turned my phone on and saw multiple cracks all over the glass screen. I did not drop it, sit on it or hit it on anything. I went to Verizon wherein they told me I must have done something to cause the cracking of the phone and that all I could do is file an insurance claim (which I have) and pay MORE money on top of the $300 already paid for another replacement phone. I would be more than happy to do that if it was in fact MY fault but it wasn’t. I take care of my personal items and seeing that it isn’t even 2 weeks old I do not feel it is right to make me shell out even more money for an obvious manufacturer’s defect. I have contacted Motorola about their gorilla glass and can only hope that they will rectify this issue. I have been a loyal customer of Verizon and find it very disheartening that they would not fix or replace the phone at no cost to me. I had the original droid for over 2 years with absolutely no problems. Clearly, there is a problem with the manufacture of this phone if so many of us are finding ourselves on this website writing about the same issue.

1. 14.   

Johnny Z says:

March 29, 2012 at 10:31 pm

If you guys get anywhere with Motorola regarding the broken screen issue please let us know. Until then, I suppose we can continue to stockpile similar happenings here and then try to move forward as a group. Power in numbers, and thanks for sharing everyone.

1. 15.   

kirk says:

April 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Ive had the razr maxx for six weeks. While using the phone, i ended a call. Pressed the homepage button and the glass shattered in my hand . The phone has never been dropped, impacted by anything or otherwise misused or handled roughly or improperly. Ive taken the phone to 3 different Verizon stores and got the same replies that ive aeen written here. I also contacted Motorola and got a very unwelcome runaround. I sent them an email today demanding contact information for the president of Motorola. I have insurance and have filed a claim only to be told by Asurion they have no razr maxx’s in stock and i will have to wait. This has been a circus! I have insurance in case of accidental damage. This was not accidental damge, its a manufacturer defect in the glass. I was treated so poorly by Verizon and Motorola that i will now not let this go. Why should i have to pay an insurance deductible six weeks after i bought an already expensive phone because of a manufacturer flaw? When i get my new phone i will be happy to send this phone to someone who can forensically identify what ive told motorola and verizon. The glass shattered through NORMAL use.

1. 16.   

Cath says:

April 2, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Got my Razr Maxx 6 weeks ago. Dropped it yesterday and the screen shattered. I don’t have insurance as I have never damaged a phone before. My prior phones have all survived my 8 year old as well. Seems really questionable that this product is so delicate. I got no where with the store in when questioning the quality of this phone.

1. 17.   

Jordan S says:

April 2, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Same story. I baby my Maxx and have never dropped it. I was driving and set my phone on the passenger seat (it did not move). I get home, put it in my pocket and go inside. Take it out a few minutes later and the LCD screen had cracked (not the glass) near the SIM card slot. Only thing I can think of is I put some pressure on it when I put it in my pocket but nothing more than what I’d consider normal. If you didn’t get the insurance Verizon just did open enrollment on their website for anyone who still wants it. I don’t know if it ended yet.

1. 18.   

Jimmy says:

April 3, 2012 at 1:33 am

I have had my maxx for 6 weeks. I protected it with an otter box case, but only to be disappointed when it feel from my work desk on to CARPET and shattered my screen. Called Motorola got nothing accomplished they really don’t care about their customers. And Asurion has been trying to get me to down grade it seems like to me this phone was put on a pedelstal for its greatness when it was cheaply made not great screen wise. Never had this problem before with any my other droids smartphones. I am highly disappointed, and very angry. I really hope the problem with this phone reach the right source to escalate it so that something can be done about it.

1. 19.   

Clancy says:

April 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Got my razr maxx. dropped it ONCE on carpet and it shattered the entire screen. major cracks everywhere. spend 300 bucks plus now repair because i didn’t get insurance. unbelievable. I feel you all.

1. 20.   

Adam Stanner says:

April 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I had the same thing happen to me. I have the original Droid Razr. I have had it for a little over 3 months. It was sitting on my kitchen counter when I noticed a crack in it. It has NEVER been dropped. There is a small parabolic crack right over the SD/SIM card door that can be felt, and another from the top edge of the SD/SIM card door across the face that cannot be felt. Everything still works though. It seems to me that the SD card door is the weakest part of the frame and the phone probably flexed there slightly cracking the glass. I guess gorilla glass and kevlar don’t mean a thing. I otherwise love the phone but if it can’t stand up to VERY gentle handling I don’t know what to do. I do know that my next phone will NOT be a Motorola/Google debacle. I am all about open source and the Android OS but the OS doesn’t really matter if the hardware can’t stand up to LIGHT everyday use. It is a shame when my last phone, yes up until a few months ago, was the original Razr flip phone. That thing was awesome. I have carried an Apple iPod around without a case for two years and it has not a single scratch on it. Guess my next phone will be an Apple iPhone 5 LTE or whatever name they decide to give it.

1. 21.   

Janet says:

April 4, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I have had my Razr MAXX for almost two months now. I put Pandora on jumped in the shower, got out of the shower to discover my screen was cracked from the inside. Phone is now completly useless. I also called Verizon who claims they have NEVER heard of this issueEven though it happenend to my brother in laws phone the day before. He was within his 14 day window so his was replaced. I now have to go through insurance claim..kicker line is they want me to take a down grade as well…they say they dont have a phone to replace it with. Why do i pay insurance then? Dealing with Motorola as well, but they are acting the same way as Verizon. I was upset to pay my deductable after all the money I already paid, but my thing is, are we gonna have to pay 99.00$ every two months?
I seen on another blog that whats happening is the phone gets hot from NORMAL useage…due to the size of the Razr and MAXX the battery swells and creates pressure causing the screen to …yup you guessed it CRACK…so irritating.

1. 22.   

Johnny Z says:

April 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm

@ janet

That is interesting. The phone battery expands when hot and it has nowhere to expand to…??? I wonder if not having any way to remove the battery without tearing it apart makes that happen more…

1. 23.   

Dave says:

April 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Dropped my RAZR MAXX last night at home. It hit my soft shoe and the carpet. When I picked up the internal screen was cracked/smashed in multiple places. In the first week or two I had it, I had actually dropped it in a parking lot. A little nick on the corner, but fine. When I drop it on something soft, the screen shatters. The external gorilla glass is fine, but internally it looks like somebody beat it on a rock. Definitely an issue.

1. 24.   

Charlie says:

April 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Had my phone 2 hours, never dropped. Screen cracked on inside. Verizon store says physical damage cannot replace. Are they kidding me? Had it in pocket so I must of sat on it is what the guy said. I’m at store right now writing this from a display phone, I’m so fikg pissed . Had my Motorola x for years never had a problem. Don’t buy this phone, obvious corporate Motorola rushed this phone to public.

1. 25.   

Chris says:

April 5, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Had phone 5 days, nothing happened to it. Finished a call, put phone on counter and screen cracked. Verizon says can’t replace and have to pay insurance deductible because it’s damage not a defective product. Motorola says 5-7 business days after they send a label (up to a few weeks without a phone??) to determine IF it was defective or damaged. Then defective phones are repaired–”we don’t exchange products” What a racket!

1. 26.   

Jerry says:

April 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I had my phone 1 week and I dropped in from about 2 feet and the screen was shattered in 2 places. Very cheaply made screen for sure.
I have dropped many other phones with no problems

1. 27.   

James says:

April 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm

wow, guess Im not the only one,huh. I was so loving this droid for three days, but I dropped it. I could have dropped a drinking glass 1.7′ to the dirt would not have broke,, this thing shattered, done, completely over. Didn’t get insurance,,lol dam.
Didn’t get insurance because had last two droids til contract ran out got free upgrade, thats two year per phone without a scratch this max looks like I taped a few firecrackers onto screen and blew it up. Maybe they need to design a replacement we can just snap a new one on ourselves for 10 too 20 bucks and we all would be mo happy:)

1. 28.   

Mike says:

April 9, 2012 at 8:12 am

Yesterday, I got a phone call at an irritating time and kinda smacked my phone with my fingers and it slightly cracked something inside. The screen is blank and won’t come on. I can’t believe I broke it with the tips of my fingers.

1. 29.   

Aaron says:

April 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

Mine is already broken but if someone had a video of it charging every time they might catch it breaking on its own. Publish that and save us all.

I never dropped my Maxx and does not show a single scuff, I believe the screen broke from internal pressure from a hot li-po battery.

1. 30.   

Jeff says:

April 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I had my phone for four days. It fell out of my pocket while having lunch. No crack then. Had a long phone call later that night, when I was done there was a crack in the glass. Verizon wouldn’t do anything.

1. 31.   

Todd says:

April 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm

My son had this phone 6 weeks dropped it the glass shattered. Luckily we had insurance on the phone, got a replacement less than a week ago, dropped it on the carpet tonight and the glass shattered. Called Verizon and they said they have had no prior complaints of glass breakage. The Gorilla glass obviously isn’t what they say it is! Just a piece of JUNK!!!! Don’t waste your money!!!!!!!

1. 32.   

Chris Jacobs says:

April 11, 2012 at 2:19 am

Had my maxx for about two Weeks, woke up today to a cracked screen. About five min ago as I was holding it on Facebook I heard and felt it crack again! I haven’t dropped or banged it around at all.

1. 33.   

miriah overbey says:

April 11, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I too, have had similar problems. My phone just mysteriously cracked. I’ve never dropped it, and it has an otter box…and it still cracked. Bunch of crap. 😞

1. 34.   

krista says:

April 13, 2012 at 1:35 am

I had my new Razr for eight days when I noticed a crack in the screen. The crack goes all the way thru the glass to the bottom of the phone. I did not drop the phone or do anything that would damage it. I was taking extra special care with my new phone. I contacted customer service via email. They told me to get insurance and then file a claim. I did that and of course the claim was denied because the damage occured before I got the insurance. It is an unethical business practice for Verison Customer Service to have told me to do that. After getting the insurance, filing a claim…it was outside the 14 days I had to return the phone. The first service rep I spoke to should have told me to return the phone right away, instead I was told to file an insurance claim. I have emailed with 4 different service reps from Verizon and they keep suggesting I file a claim even though I have explained that I did file a claim and was denied. I am very disappointed with Verizon’s customer service.

1. 35.   

Amy says:

April 13, 2012 at 5:15 pm

On April 11th, I followed my normal morning routine. I removed the phone from my end table and its charging cable, and placed it in my purse. I then walked from my home, approximately 50 – 75 feet to my car. When I arrived at my car, I placed my purse on the passenger seat, and got into the car. Upon removing the phone from my purse to make a call, I saw that the screen had a small crack in it. The crack begins/ends right at the location of the power button, which must be pressed each time that the phone is to be unlocked/activated for use. I state this simply because it could be considered a ‘stress’ point, and perhaps have some bearing on how the phone may have been damaged. It should also be stated that this same routine had been followed for the previous 7 days since I purchased the phone. The phone was not being subjected to any treatment that would fall outside of what one would consider normal use. This is the same routine I have followed for years, with several other phones, including a BlackBerry Curve and a Sanyo Katana. Each of which I maintained service on for approximately 2 years, to the best of my recollection. I mention each of these phones specifically because unlike most ‘clamshell’ style phones, the Katana has a small exposed screen and the Blackberry has a fully exposed screen. Neither of them have any cracks to their screens, and even the scratches to them are minimal. This Motorola Razr phone is advertized to have ‘Gorilla Glass’ which while not unbreakable, is supposed to withstand quite a bit of stress. One website (I believe Corning or Motorola) indicates that the breaking point is around 121 pounds of pressure. I believe that there was a defect in this single particular piece of equipment (that may or may not be a singular incident) that caused it to break under normal use. It is also my belief that even if there is no current record of a ‘known issue’ with this product, it stands to reason that someone has to be the first to have the problem before it becomes a known issue.

1. 36.   

lane says:

April 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Phone falls from car seat to car floor..carpeted, 18 in fall , screen cracked! Unbelievable! ! ! ! ! !

1. 37.   

Cameron says:

April 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Had this phone since early February. It is the best phone I’ve ever had. It has survived absolutely horrible drops. down stairs, onto solid concrete (multiple times, I work in a warehouse.) It has been stepped on. It has been rammed or bumped into table edges while in my pocket (glass facing out). Not a single time did it crack. I went to band practice last night and it was sitting on my guitar bag. I put it in my pocket to go home, then I pull it from my pocket after I get home and the gorilla glass (NOT THE LCD) is cracked right next to the earpiece. It is shattered and there are cracks leading down the screen.

I called Motorola. They want $160 plus tax, which makes it $177, plus shipping to and from Texas. No doubt going to add it up to $200. That is 2/3rds of what this phone cost me. Called Verizon, no help, they were surprised that the actual gorilla glass shattered. I did tons of research on replacing the screen. Most of the time you need to purchase the digitizer (gorilla glass screen) AND the LCD. If you are really skilled and have nimble fingers and a clean work environment, I have learned you can replace just the digitizer. But it is pathetic that the gorilla glass had a nasty shatter, not crack, but SHATTER and the LCD works fine.

I have called numerous cell phone repair places. And they have given me the estimate of $220-250. This is absolutely ludicrous. I might as well buy a new one. Be this a warning to all people who buy this phone. This phone is amazing, when it works. But please do NOT skip out on the insurance. The most you will have to pay with it is $100. Do not make my mistake. Do not rely or trust the Gorilla glass.

Motorola is so very much designed to scam its customers. Physical damage voids the warranty. Are you kidding me? The most common problem, voids the warranty. And it must always be the customers fault. No, nothing goes wrong in manufacturing. Nothing. I will suck it up and probably use it with the cracked screen until Motorola gives me a better offer or I just cant stand it anymore and just get the f***ing repair. It makes me grit my teeth that Motorola offers the lowest price on screen repair.

1. 38.   

John says:

April 15, 2012 at 8:02 am

My 3-month old Razr screen cracked (never been dropped) when I had the audacity to press the lower left button with right hand while holding in my left. Apparently, the “Gorilla glass” is not designed for the rigors of, you know, using the thing like a phone and pushing buttons. Store basically called me a liar and told me not to bother sending it in, they’d send it back. I plan on a claim (probably arbitration, since they usually make you sign away your right to sue). I’ll see how it goes. This phone felt for three months distinctly like a beta version they rushed to market in time for holiday shopping season.

1. 39.   

John says:

April 15, 2012 at 3:35 pm

As a follow up to my prior post, the Verizon agreement says you can either arbitrate or pursue in small claims court. There is a dispute resolution form on verizon’s website you can use to initiate the process. I’ll try to come back and weigh as I navigate the process with thoughts/issues.

1. 40.   

Kereen says:

April 16, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I’ve had this phone for just over two weeks. I was pushing some icons up to trash and the screen cracked – I now have a nice thumb-sized crack near the power button. As with everyone else, Motorola and Verizon decided there was nothing they could do other than charge me more money. Glad to know that the $$$ I spend on a cell phone account means nothing to them.

1. 41.   

chupper says:

April 17, 2012 at 10:35 am

Me too. fell about 1.5 feet from my hand onto a carpet, display cracked all the way across the top edge and purple took over like cancer. By the end of the day I couldn’t see anything.
I had an htc incredible previously and that thing never broke, I even used it lumberjacking and rock climbing.

I do have best buy insurance, but that took 3 hours and not sure yet how many days for a re-furb.

Thanks motorolla. thanks for the headaches and time out of my life.

1. 42.   

Jim says:

April 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

Had my Maxx for about a week. Charged it overnight,used it this morning, put it in my pocket to drive to work and when I arrived, I pulled my phone out and it displayed cracked screen symptoms. Upon close examination I noticed there was 2 cracks in the corner of the video screen. Wow! its really fragile. I’m currently crafting a protector from foam rubber and duct tape for my replacement phone.

1. 43.   

Steph says:

April 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm

SAME thing happend to ME AND to MY DAUGHTER . . . both got brand new RAZR MAXXs and within the first couple of weeks her screen broke, UNATTENDED, sitting on a chair, and Verizon would do NOTHING about it except sell us a new one for $650. Then I, who have NEVER damaged OR broken a cell phone just had the SAME thing happen a couple of week later. This phone is awful, but VERIZON is EVEN WORSE

1. 44.   

David says:

April 18, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I’m sad to say that I have joined the ranks of people that had their screen crack. Never dropped, picked it up off a table where it was charging and took a picture. Put it back on the table and the screen was cracked. For crying out loud. Less than two months of use and the thing breaks?

Like most of the other folks here, I’ve been using smart phones for years and never had a screen break.

So, how do we get Motorola and Verizon to own up to selling a bad product??

1. 45.   

Doug says:

April 19, 2012 at 5:04 am

Just happened to me today. Used it as a GPS in my car on a trip. Got to my destination, pocketed it. got out of my car, checked my phone, cracked screen, totally black with just a few pixels showing up on the bottom. thank god i have a replacement plan

1. 46.   

Brandon says:

April 19, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Same thing as everyone else. Looked at it during church, drove home (2 miles) pulled it out and have a crack across the corner. Thankfully mine is near the search button, which I never use and hasn’t effected the display yet. Verizon told me they could do nothing but sell me a new phone. I will never purchase through a Verizon store again. I’ve been with them for 10 years and they have always been solid. That is a thing of the past. No more new every two discounts, and no more customer service. I’m done.

1. 47.   

Justen says:

April 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Typing this from my old DROID X because yesterday, after having the RAZR MAXX for about 6 weeks, I pulled it out of my jacket pocket and the screen wouldn’t turn on. Low and behold, there was a small group of hairline cracks underneath the Gorilla Glass. It had never been dropped. I just got a refurbished MAXX sent to me today, but after reading all these comments, I half expect this to happen again…

1. 48.   

Tim says:

April 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Had mine one week, dropped from golf cart glove box to golf cart floor, picked up LCD cracked and DOA. My Droid 2 has been dropped in parking lots, kicked when trying to pick up, fallen off car roof when left there and still going strong. I’ve owned nothing but Motorola phones my whole cell speaking career (brick phone anyone). The Maxx was my last, writing this on my iPhone 4s that replaced that POS(no insurance for all same reasons mentioned above). At least I learned with iPhones there are hundreds of repair shops, you can get cases everywhere and repairs are cheap if you happen to break it. Although I have a feeling this will be a tough little phone. Good luck Moto and bye bye!

1. 49.   

John says:

April 20, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Happened to me today. Fell less than a foot onto the carpet. The entire screen is cracked. I think it must be the gorilla glass only because I’m typing this through the cracks. Was going to send to Motorola for repair but after reading all these posts it seems quite likely it will happen again.. Extremely disappointed because I really loved this phone

1. 50.   

Don B says:

April 22, 2012 at 7:49 am

Sadly I too must add my name to this growing list. I upgraded from an HTC Incredible that I had for over 2 1/5 years with no problems. I fell in love with the RAZR Maxx because of battery life, faster processor and bigger screen. Didn’t realize I would regret buying this phone. Pardon this being a little personal, but I sat down on the toilet and the phone slipped out of my pocket and fell less than a foot to a linoleum floor. I reached over and picked it up and the Gorilla glass was shattered all over. This was such a gentle fall I couldn’t believe it. I went back to Verizon Store and they couldn’t help. They told me to call their servicing dept. Called Verizon’s servicing dept and they said they couldn’t help. They said to call Motorola. I called Motorola and explained what happened and they immediately told me it was my fault and that the warranty doesn’t cover physical damage. I told them certainly the Gorilla Glass should be able to withstand such a slight fall. His response back was that Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not impact resistant and again there is nothing they could do for me. The only thing he offered was to send the phone back to Motorola for Repair for $177.29 + shipping cost. I originally paid $199 + 2 yr contract for the phone, apparently I have to pay for it all over again. I am so extraordinarily disappointed with Motorola.

1. 51.   

David says:

April 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm

The number of us is climbing all the time. How can we band together and get Motorola’s (or Google’s) attention to this matter? We’ve all called in and complained, but they STILL say there are no records of this problem. I guess that’s their canned response….

1. 52.   

Johnny Z says:

April 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I get anywhere from 1 – 4 people daily posting their comments about the fragility of the screens. It does seem like there is something wrong with the Motorola gorilla glass. If you know any lawyers have them look at things…

1. 53.   

Steph says:

April 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

YES! Please have a lawyer look at this . . . any other ideas for how we can bring this to Verizon/Motorola’s attention?

1. 54.   

David says:

April 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I suggest that we start placing bad reviews that cite the problem we’ve had. I already put a couple out there and will be chasing down other opportunities. Things like Amazon.com, Verizon’s own support group. That kind of thing. If enough bad reviews get out there, people will start asking questions. At the very least, we’re warning other folks like us about this BEFORE they have the problem.

1. 55.   

Bill says:

April 25, 2012 at 10:40 am

I too have broken glass after a 4 inch fall…

1. 56.   

David says:

April 25, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I’ve been busily posting my experience with a broken screen on various forums to get the word out and a person on the Verizon site suggested I contact Corning about this. The first contact resulted in a canned response that said it would break if you hit it hard enough. Then I responded that what I was looking for was to be taken seriously and I got a second response.

The wanted to get the device and take a look at it. I don’t have it anymore since it went to the insurance company a couple of days ago, but:

If any of you still have your device, contact Corning. I used their Gorilla glass site athttp://www.corninggorillaglass.com/ and clicked on the ‘contact us’ link at the bottom. You may have to answer the initial response to get a person, but it appears they are starting to take us seriously.

1. 57.   

John says:

April 25, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Can’t find my previous post but wanted to let you know about my experience with Motorola. I decided that I wanted to get my cracked screen fixed so I went to the website and submitted a service order for repair using their online tool. I did this on Friday 4/20. The service order was submitted and I was quoted a repair cost of $174. That night I called their support team b/c there was no place for me to enter a credit card number to pay for the repair. I was nervous about sending my phone out like that thinking i might not get it back. The Representative told me that once they get the phone they would determine what was required to fix it and then would call me for payment information. I sent my phone out on 4/21 via prepaid fed-ex package and they received the phone on Monday 4/23. On Tuesday 4/24 I received a fed-ex package in which they returned my original box that I had sent the phone in. (they don’t want you to send original packaging, sim cards, memory cards or accessories). They were nice enough to send it back. That night i got an email that my service was complete and that I would get my phone back by Wednesday 4/25 at 10:30am. Sure enough. I did get my phone today at 10am fully fixed. The note they enclosed said that the phone was under warranty. I did not get a request for payment. They must be taking these claims very seriously and I couldn’t be happier with my experience. This may not apply in everyone’s situation but my phone was clearly brand new (only 45 days old) and suffered a massive screen breakage that should not have happened. If you want to call them and find out if they consider your situation under warranty, it may save you a lot of time and money. 866-453-8752. PS. I do not work for Motorola.

1. 58.   

Naomi says:

April 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I purchased my Motorola RAZR MAXX from a Verizon store along with renewing my 2 year contract on the last day of February and received it around the 12th of March. Today, the 27th of April, I was playing simple touch game on the phone with my toddler and the sound cut out. I tried searching for the source of the sound issue (checking settings) and did not find anything. My husband looked at the phone as well and could find no settings issues then he set the phone on his desk to attend to my toddler. When he came back to his desk, the screen had inexplicably shattered across the entire phone. I have had Verizon’s Extended Limited Warranty for years. I took it to a Verizon store and was told by the store manager that the warranty contract did not cover screen damage, no matter how it was broken. My husband asked asked for a copy of the warranty and found that this was not a true statement. The contract says nothing of the sort, only addressing excluding improper usage or abuse of the phone, which has not occurred. The manager refused to help me still so we contacted Verizon customer service. We were told that “No other phone has ever had this happen to it” by a manager, which is false (obviously). I have received no help at all from Verizon, who still refuses to take ownership for the product or their warranty. This is a serious matter, as the screen could have shattered while in use and could have hurt someone.

1. 59.   

David says:

April 29, 2012 at 10:55 pm

That sucks, but is true to form. Call Motorola like the guy above, you may have the same luck he did. Also, the insurance DOES cover this phone and that kind of damage. I have a new phone to prove it. Also, contact Corning, they may have a solution for you as well. If we get the word out, the various vendors won’t be able to ignore us any more.

1. 60.   

Ferny Ceballos says:

May 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Had my Razr Maxx for 1 day and first of all the 4G wasn’t working and service cut-out for half of the day. When it was live, it was only on a slow 3G

Then before I went to return it to Verizon, I was trying to put the phone in my pocked and fell from pocket height and the internal glass shattered. Never had a phone be so sensitive.

Luckily I have insurance, but my experience with this phone has been very disappointing. First 4G doesn’t work then it shatters with a minor fall. All my other phones have been very robust.

I’d switch to AT&T if it wasn’t for the coverage being so bad on their network.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Why is it that over 60 Complaints have been made to verizon about the razr screen cracking, and there is still no known issue ? Verizon are you calling us all liars?
KT331
Enthusiast - Level 1

My daughter has had her Razr for about 9 months now.  About two weeks ago she picked up her phone in the morning on her way to school when she noticed two cracks, both starting at the camera lens. One goes completely to the bottom and the other goes sharply to the side. She has never dropped it and me and my husband went over it with a fine tooth comb. We looked under a magnifying glass and could no find any reason for the glass to crack. Not one ding, scratch or bang. Our daughter really takes good care of her stuff, but we still wanted to make sure before we sent it in for repairs. Well we did and we got a reply from Motorola with a picture of the cracks saying this was customer abuse and that it is not covered under warranty. Even though they did not find any physical damage to back it up. Well I e-mailed them back and told them I did a little research and found pages of people having the same problems. Well I did not hear from them until I received a notice from Fed Ex that they were sending the phone back. NOT FIXED!!! I went to look up why and guess what there is no case open any more for the phone. It has been wiped clean. I put in the RMA # it comes back not found, I put in the ID #, the SN# and all comes back not found. Yet a day earlier all the info was there. I know there is a lot more people like me and all of you, but they just don't want to be bothered so they pay to have it fix, just to have it do it again. Unless they have found the problem and only fixing it on a customer pay only set up. I am furious and will not be recommending this phone to anyone. And to think I was considering this phone for my next up grade! NOT!!!!

Re: Why is it that over 60 Complaints have been made to verizon about the razr screen cracking, and there is still no known issue ? Verizon are you calling us all liars?
mushkers

apparently people who work there do not take the "do no evil" pledge. if they do they don't take it seriously. not surprising.

0 Likes
msh
Enthusiast - Level 1

very true... It was kind-of funny talking to the lady from Verizon because when I told her I had a crack on my screen and I attributed it to a manufacture defect she said repeatedly, there was NO KNOWN ISSUE with my devise... Must have said that at least four times... before finally asking me what devise I had, so she can look up and see if the manufacture had any known issue.

UGH....Are you kidding me... you had no idea what devise I was talking about but yet you told me there was NO KNOWN ISSUE.....

They must have to say the same redundant response.... Despite what the consumers says.

mushkers

people who work there are told what to say. when i contacted motorola about my shattered screen i could barely understand the representative. it sounded like she was reading her response from a script but badly rehearsed. i had to hangup on the first agent because the english was so bad. she did admit that she was "off shore". right. they are probably very busy with these problems and solve that problem by cheap unqualified labor overseas.

in my early days (i'm in my 70's) i worked for a major transmission company as the manager of their only NYC shop, at the time. company owned. i read from a piece of paper. one of the questions was, "have you ever driven your car without warming it up? have you ever gotten stuck in the snow or ice?" everyone denied that. c'mon now. that's the trap that you and i are in here with phone "abuse". if one lawyer gets burnt then it'll be time for a class action suit. but, these people know this and will smooth that one over with the lawyer when that comes up, if they haven't already,

0 Likes
B33
Legend
0 Likes
Re: Why is it that over 60 Complaints have been made to verizon about the razr screen cracking, and there is still no known issue ? Any answers Verizon?
Kay-Dee
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had my Droid Razr Max for 12 days. I bought a gel cover for it and a screen protector. In addition, I keep it in a case when I am not using it.  It has never been dropped.  This morning when I went to put it on I noticed there were spider cracks in the left hand bottom corner.  It rings but the screen will not even come on.  I bought it in Costco and will bring it back today.  I loved the phone but it obviously has a terrible problem. I had the original Droid for almost 3 years.  It never had a problem and still works perfectly.  This phone should be recalled.

Re: Why is it that over 60 Complaints have been made to verizon about the razr screen cracking, and there is still no known issue ? Any answers Verizon?
B33
Legend

Kay-Dee it might be just a Bad Batch of them went out:  All products can go threw a Faze!  if you can get a New Re-placement get one an give it one more Try if the Next one does it. Then go to something Else but at lest give it another Try!

0 Likes
AMP413
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought the Motorola RAZR in February and have been very happy with it. It has fallen a couple of times (even hit pavement and a granite floor) and other than a couple scratches on the phone itself, the phone remains undamaged.  Therefore, since my phone seemed to be living up to the near indestructible advertisements of the RAZR, when my adult son was looking for an upgrade, he purchased the Motorola RAZR as well. Amazingly, after only 7 days, the screen on his phone cracked before our eyes.  The phone simply was sitting on the kitchen table, previously streaming Pandora for about an hour when the phone vibrated to indicate a text message had arrived. There now are two mysterious cracks - one that seems to start at the microphone hole and one that seems to start at the speaker. The phone has never fallen, nor has it ever been dropped, punctured, smashed, twisted, or pressured in any way. Our initial experience with Verizon Wireless store representatives was deplorable. We left the first store and went to a second.  These representatives were much better at providing customer service. They evaluated the phone and commented on the pristine condition and that the crack had to be a defect, not caused by user damage. Unfortunately, Verizon Wireless would not cover a replacement and wanted to charge us $750 (we had only paid $99 for this phone a week ago). On their recommendation, we filed a warranty claim with Motorola, which also has been denied.  I have asked Motorola to reconsider its position and also have contacted Corning for assistance. 

gorillaglasssucks
Enthusiast - Level 1

I loved my RZR from Feb until Mothers Day when my screen mysteriously cracked on it's own!  I made a call no screen crack  I put it in my inside suit jacket Pocket (a very loose fit)  take my phone out to make a phone call and there is a huge hairline crack all across the screen.  This phone has never been dropped, thrown, stepped on sat on or otherwise abused.  I to did the Verizon/Motorola dance where both implied this Never happens and is not a known issue.  It's physical damage and voids my warranty.I point out that this page exist for this very problem, the manager at Verizon tells me she's had hers since November with no problems. well good for her. I don't have insurance because this is my 4th smart phone and I've never had a problem.

0 Likes