Re: Verizon iPhone 4S SIM UNLOCK Tutorial
allglass

You need to be on a GSM only network.  If you're still in the US then the CDMA Verizon network is going to trump the GSM.  Overseas it's the same; if there's a CDMA roaming partner (like in Japan or some other Asian countries) then the GSM won't pick up no matter if the SIM is unlocked or not.  They should have explained this to you when they unlocked the SIM.

0 Likes
pdcorlis

Thanks so much for the reply. That's news to me - but welcome news at that. I think all will be well, we will be going to the UK and Think there is no CDMA there. A pity I can't check out my micro sim before I leave but such is life.

Thanks Again

Phil.

0 Likes
gogorock01

Just google R-SIM III if you can't unlock.

0 Likes
gfunkdave

Apple appears to have fixed this in iOS 5.1. THere is a new on/off setting for "International CDMA" under Settings - General - Network - Roaming.

0 Likes
chahelin

Hello Sir,This is Jandy In china,I have got a verizon iphone 4s,but is locked,so I can not use any other card in China,Can you help me unlock my phone?thank you very much,Please contact:  <<  Personal information removed to comply with Verizon Community TOS >>

Please use the Direct Message feature of this Community to contact other users and/or exchange personal information such as phone numbers and email addresses.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
tadsv

Hello, i got a Verizon iPhone 4S in the U.S a few months ago because my father gave it to me as a gift, the problem is that im from Mexico and i can't use it here (in other words i have an iPod Touch). Is there any way to unlock it? I bought it in prepaid so i dont have a plan, probably in 2 months i will go to the U.S (New Orleans exactly), someone knows if there could be a possible way to unlock it or if is possible to pay a fee when i go so i can unlock it?

Greetings

0 Likes
SGMD1
Enthusiast - Level 3

allglass wrote:

You need to be on a GSM only network.  If you're still in the US then the CDMA Verizon network is going to trump the GSM.  Overseas it's the same; if there's a CDMA roaming partner (like in Japan or some other Asian countries) then the GSM won't pick up no matter if the SIM is unlocked or not.

This isn't entirely accurate. CDMA will only trump GSM if you have the Verizon SIM installed. Once you replace it with a SIM from a different carrier, GSM takes precedence.

The only reason I can think of for pdcorlis' issue is that the GSM signal wasn't strong enough or something.

0 Likes
z0mer

>Post deleted. Posts discussing or providing links to other sites which offer instructions to hack/jailbreak/unlock a device are not allowed<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
reisen
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in the US and am going to Hungary next week, then Germany. I have an iPhone 4s through Verizon. I called Verizon Global Support (1-800-711-8300) today and was able to get my SIM unlocked with no problem. It only took about 5 min and I didn't have to physically do anything on my phone.

I purchased a Telestial Passport Plus World micro SIM card online. Like many others, I wanted to try it while still in the US to make sure that the phone is really unlocked and that the SIM card will work. I turned my phone off, popped my Verizon SIM card out, put the Telestial one in, and turned the phone back on. First I got the black screen with Apple icon, then it asked for my passcode, just like normal, so I entered that. After searching for a few minutes, it said "SIM Locked" and gave me the option to press "OK" or "Unlock" so I pressed "Unlock." It then asked me for the PIN. The Telestial PIN is a 4-digit number. Per the instructions from Telestial, if you are in the US, you should enter 3+PIN. If you are outside USA or Canada, you should enter just the PIN.

Since I am in the US, I entered 3 then my PIN. It told me "Unlocking" It then told me "Activation Required" and I went through the prompts. It seemed to be working, but then I got the message just like sringa saying "SIM not valid: Only compatible SIM Cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported carrier store to receive a replacement SIM card."

I turned the phone off, took out the Telestial card, put the Verizon card back in, and turned it back on. It reactivated and all was back to normal on the Verizon network.

I read sringa's post, so I decided to try just the PIN as if I was outside the USA. This time I did not get the "SIM not valid" message. It connected to T-Mobile, however I was still not able to place or receive calls. I called Telestial's customer service number and they verified that I was connected to a network but since I was in my "international profile" which works on a different cellular frequency, it would not work in the US. The representative asked me to log in to my "US profile" by entering 3+PIN. I told him what had happened the first time, but I tried it again anyway... same thing with the "SIM not valid" message. I told him that I normally use Verizon and he said he had also heard that Verizon blocks the phone from being able to use another network while in the US. But since it did pick up the T-Mobile network, I could be confident that the SIM is unlocked and will work outside the country.

I will update after my trip to let you know if that is true!

0 Likes
reisen
Enthusiast - Level 1

rsljhb wrote:

I headed overseas before I was able to unlock my iPhone 4S.  Will I be able to complete the SIM Unlock from overseas or will I have to wait until I return home?  I have my MacBook Pro so I will be able to connect to iTunes to complete the unlock.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Did you ever get your phone unlocked while overseas? I would think that they could unlock it anywhere. Since you are outside of the US, you might need to call the non-1-800 number for Verizon Global Support, which is 1.908.559.4899.

0 Likes