Re: RAZR MAXX 16GB SCAM - DONT BE FOOLED
JP1964
Enthusiast - Level 3

0 Likes
DroidCzar
Enthusiast - Level 2

iPhone has only 28GB of usable memory on the 32 GB version.  Have you ever bought a computer?  You get a 500GB hard drive and by the time the OS is done, it's down to 450GB or less.  What are you doing that you need that extra 4 GB of space on your phone?  If music is your thing, look at Google Music instead of putting everything on your SD card.  You can then make available offline for those times that you don't have a data connection.

Seriously you buy a phone with the power and abilities of the Droid Razr Maxx and you complain about this?  And I have this phone and can go 24 hours easy with regular to heavy usage.  And this is 4G, something the iPhone doesn't think is necessary.  If I use this phone like a phone without using apps, games, etc. I can go without charging for over a few days (I ran that test when I got the phone).

Your point of the Verizon reps needing to be better versed is valid to a point.  With all of the phones on the market and variants of each, it's a lot to memorize, but I do agree that they should have a basic knowledge of memory allocation.  Either way, if you're an educated consumer, you should know about research and also know that reps at any company are often ignorant of many ideas and facts.  At Best Buy, a rep told me that there is not such thing as a Class 10 microSD card.

Erik_MAXX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Relax friend. Just install a 32gb micro SD card.$24 and free shipping on Amazon, and you have yourself 40gb of storage, more than any iPhone, plus you have 35 hours of battery life, and 4g LTE and a bigger screen...No need to worry about their storage marketing gimic...

rcschnoor
Legend

Erik_MAXX wrote:

Relax friend. Just install a 32gb micro SD card.$24 and free shipping on Amazon, and you have yourself 40gb of storage, more than any iPhone, plus you have 35 hours of battery life, and 4g LTE and a bigger screen...No need to worry about their storage marketing gimic...

I guess you are not aware of the 64GB iPhone!!!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Click on this Link to read on SD Card Sally Had some Good Insight on them an Opened my Eyes on the Vast new styles of them that are out there an are Available:: Click on the Blue Area B33 

Different classes of Micro-SD cards for Motorola Razor (16g)

0 Likes
Erik_MAXX
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am aware of it, I just don't count a phone that costs $400.00 WITH a 2 year contract.

<personal information (email address) deleted per TOS and extra text removed for clarity>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Torgo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, it's too bad this upsets you so much.  I'm not surprised, because this is how the specs of most Android devices are reported.  For example, my 8 GB Acer Iconia Tab A100 only has about 5 GB of usable internal memory, but of course it can be expanded with 32 GB more with a microSD.  My 32 GB Acer Iconia Tab A500 lists about 28 GB of usable internal memory.  For both devices, I am nowhere near approaching my storage limit, mostly because I don't have to store my music onboard, thanks to Google Play Music.

So the Maxx has only 8 GB of usable internal memory--I say, so what?  They were nice enough to include a whole 16 GB microSD card at no extra cost, which is a pretty nice deal, in my opinion.  What's more crucial, though, is that the Maxx has around 3 GB of application memory.  This is 3 times more than my old HTC Droid Incredible, and 6 times more than the Sony Xperia Play.  Remember that what limits how many apps you can install is the app memory, not the storage memory.  So with those old phones, I would hit the low memory warning pretty easily after installing a few large apps.  Sure, you can move apps to the SD, but that makes them run a little slower, and you can't move bloatware apps to the SD, so those are permanent app memory suckers.  With the Maxx, I'm using about 750 MB of app memory, so I still have over 2 GB left to install apps, and that's huge.

As for clueless VZW sales reps, are you really that surprised?  I take everything those guys say with a huge shaker of salt.  I find better information on web forums, but of course you need to read everything on the web with a critical eye as well.

My battery life has been pretty awesome.  I don't measure things in talk time, because I don't really gab on the phone that much.  I'm also not the type who has to keep 4G and/or WiFi on all of the time so that I can get up to the second Facebook updates--I keep all of that stuff off until I want to access it.  I'm getting at least 2 full days out of a charge, and could get 3 with the 40% battery I have left, but start recharging at that level out of habit.

So anyway, I hope you're able to warm up to the phone in time.  Obviously, Android isn't for everybody, and you may just have to go back to the iPhone.  But hopefully, people who are reading this thread due to the sensationalistic headline will understand that it's not really scandal-worthy!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well for me the Maxx is doing a fine Job An yes with a Added punch of Memory like from one of those New HDSD'S Cards  msn smileys that can handle the Higher Recordings & Picture Taking an other things like that. To me that's well over enough to be Happy.

0 Likes
JP1964
Enthusiast - Level 3

The 'everyone else does it too' defense makes me chuckle...for some reason I still dont think that makes it right.  I truly hope 'everyone else' doesnt jump off the bridge...I would hate to think what some of you would do then...lol....and now you are telling me I spent $300 on a phone but have to buy a 'better' SD card to 'handle the higher recordings and picture taking'...sheesh when will it end.

Targo,  unfortunately, for me, the phone is more than some vanity item I carry around to show my friends how cool I am when I play that 7 letter word.  The fact that you admit you dont actually use your phone as a phone precludes you from having any meaningful input into a discussion about talk time(I could leave my phone on the nightstand and I bet I could get 5 days out of it).  You see, some of us actually have jobs, and some of those jobs require us to actually use our PHONE as a PHONE....OMG...one of the HUGE selling points of this phone was the 21 hours of talk time. I couldnt turn the TV on without seeing one of those commercials...speaking of which has anyone seen a 21 hour talk time commercial recently???...I didnt think so...I bought this phone with high expectations for the talk time.  I am not sure if you saw my other thread with my battery breakdown for just one days usage but I will list it here again.  Maybe I have a dud. I am asking for anyone who has acheived more than 10 hours of talk time to show me their battery usage info so I can determine if it is just my battery. 

And B33 I appreciate your input on the apps but I have this phone so 'dumbed down' trying to save the battery I think my old RAZR flip phone back in the day had more features...lol...I have 4G off(which kills me since I bought a 4G phone), GPS off, wifi off, the screen dimmed into battery saver mode, every app(other than the cr-ap apps Verizon loaded) removed.  The guy at the store even told me to remove the Battery Defender app saying that could be killing my battery...really???...

Here is my usage for just one day...I dont consider 4 hours of talk time on a 21 hour talk time phone to be excessive 'gabbing'...somebody please show me a phone that gets 10 hours of talk time. I am figuring Verizon is into doubling everything for their marketing schemes...16GB is really 8GB so maybe 21 hours of talk time is supposed to be 10.5???  So all I am asking is somebody show me a phone with 10 hours of talk time

100% charge at 6AM

Down to 40% by 2PM

Bumped the battery back up to 70% between 2PM and 4PM

Battery at 10% by 9PM

Time since last full charge - 14 hours 40 minutes(with a 30% bump in the afternoon)

Current battery reading - 10%

Calls - 61% of battery usage  4 hours 3 minutes

Operating System - 16% of battery usage  2 hr 37min  20 kb sent  97 kb received

Display  14% of battery usage  3 hrs 59 mins

Angry Birds 3%  15 minutes

Idle 2%  10 hr 40 min

Standby 2%

I am not making this up. This is directly from the Battery Usage page on the phone.  The phone was idle for over 10 hours of the 14 it was off the charger and it is completely dead in one day with just 4 hours of talk time and that was with a 30% bump in the afternoon.  Do I have a dud?  I cant turn anything else off on this phone and still call it a phone.  Can someone with the _VZW after their name possibly have some input into this???

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

JP1964 wrote:

Targo,  unfortunately, for me, the phone is more than some vanity item I carry around to show my friends how cool I am when I play that 7 letter word.  The fact that you admit you dont actually use your phone as a phone precludes you from having any meaningful input into a discussion about talk time(I could leave my phone on the nightstand and I bet I could get 5 days out of it).  You see, some of us actually have jobs, and some of those jobs require us to actually use our PHONE as a PHONE....OMG100% charge at 6AM

Down to 40% by 2PM

Bumped the battery back up to 70% between 2PM and 4PM

Battery at 10% by 9PM

Time since last full charge - 14 hours 40 minutes(with a 30% bump in the afternoon)

Current battery reading - 10%

Calls - 61% of battery usage  4 hours 3 minutes

Operating System - 16% of battery usage  2 hr 37min  20 kb sent  97 kb received

Display  14% of battery usage  3 hrs 59 mins

Angry Birds 3%  15 minutes

Idle 2%  10 hr 40 min

Standby 2%

I am not making this up. This is directly from the Battery Usage page on the phone.  The phone was idle for over 10 hours of the 14 it was off the charger and it is completely dead in one day with just 4 hours of talk time and that was with a 30% bump in the afternoon.  Do I have a dud?  I cant turn anything else off on this phone and still call it a phone.  Can someone with the _VZW after their name possibly have some input into this???

I find it curious you are belittling people who do not use their smartphone to make hours upon hours of phone calls. One could look at your usage stats and ask the question "Why do you have a smartphone? It seems you could just use a basic phone!" One of the main reasons people get "smartphones" instead of "basic phones" is so that they can use the other features, such as email, internet access, use of apps, and texting. When you say things such as "some of us actually have jobs..." makes one think that if you don't use your cellphone to make hours of calls, you must not have a job!

Well I do have a job, and I speak very little on the phone. I do, however send/receive SEVERAL emails/day, view documents within those emails, text, and perform research. I cannot do these things on a basic phone. Of course, looking at your usage stats, you can do everything you have listed except play "Angry Birds" on a basic phone and I would never be so demeaning to imply you have a smartphone only "to show my friends how cool I am."

Of course, I cannot show any usage statistics with 10+ hours of talk time. However, Consumer Reports and Cnet have BOTH reported exactly this. Maybe they are just being "shills" for Verizon??? As to the 21 hours of talk time, you do realize that these are MAXIMUM values? Are you using bluetooth? Bluetooth is a battery drain. Verizon does not claim 21 hours of Bluetooth talk time, or even speakerphone talk time for that matter. Are you surfing the web? Another battery drain. If you look at the claims on the Razr Maxx specs, you are right in that it says 21.5 hours of talk time. But in actuality, it says 21.5 hours of talk time OR 15.8 days of standby time. This means it is not BOTH. So everything you have running whether it is standby(very low battery drain), some of that 4 hours of display time(very high battery drain, probably more than making a call) or even Bluetooth use(another high battery drain) takes away from the available talk time.

Now, chuckle away!!!