Verizon adding remote diagnostics tool to latest LG Revolution update
Wildman
Legend

It looks like Verizon will be taking a active response to the users reported issues with their devices, it appears that the LG Revolution will be the first to see this new technology method and I think this will change how and when a replacement device will be the solution to reported device issues...  I can see a number of positive and negatives that users will see with this but in my opinion its a good beginning step to assist the customer more efficiently.

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites/androidcentral.com/files/postimages/684/lg-revolution-1.jpg

Original posted at http://www.androidcentral.com/

UPDATE: 

Verizon says Remote Diagnostics tool doesn't track personal data in the background

Verizon over the weekend dropped word that an impending update to the LG Revolution would include a Verizon Remote Diagnostics app — a "new customer care solution to improve device issue diagnosis during customer support calls."

We've gotten some more detail on exactly what that entails, and it's not really anywhere near as scary as you might think. A Verizon spokesman tells us that it's really just a remote desktop type of thing. A VNC service, if you will. And, Verizon tells us, "no personal data like keystrokes or web history, location, etc., is logged or saved."

This sort of thing is a touchy subject because of the hot water carriers found themselves in last year over their use of Carrier IQ, a network analytics tool that was cooked into many smartphones to allow the silent uploading of network and device data. Users weren't explicitly made aware of its use, and a bit of a firestorm erupted. Warranted or not, any sort of "remote diagnostics" app added by a carrier to a smartphone is bound to raise eyebrows.

We've got a feeling some folks will be putting that to the test, but for now we have absolutely no reason not to take Verizon at its word.

Original Post: http://www.androidcentral.com/

Message was edited by: Wildman Forever Updated information for users to know....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon adding remote diagnostics tool to latest LG Revolution update
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this one.  I know they can't access your phone without specific permission each time, but I'm just not sure.  Maybe if Verizon techs actually knew something about the phones instead of asking you to do a factory reset to try and fix a blown speaker (no joke, happened to me), maybe I might trust them a little more to remotely hack into my phone.  I'm not so much worried about them accessing my phone when not authorized, but more about people not getting a replacement when deserved.  Of course, and I do think their intentions are truly to benefit the customer here, if there were not so many people trying to get replacements just because, then it would not have come to this.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I kind of figured there would be a few that may or maynot accept this option as a solution but I am sure a tech wont have access to anything except the system states to be able to help them identify the possible problem...   Due to the limitations of not having root access I really do not see what amount of damage could be done through this method at this time,

As for the users that perfer a replacement device for a malfunctioning device, I think this will more or least make it possible to verify device issue when a user constantly reports issue and dont want to troubleshoot but demands a new or diffrent device..

I am still unsure what feeeling I have completely about this if it comes to all devices...  It has a light and dark sides.

Just have to wait and see.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
0 Likes