Re: MiFi 4510L Problems with 4G connect after a 3G connect
akwebb1

I was excited to see another firmware update (2.23) that references some more 3G/4G connectivity problems since they were not  resolved on my device with the last update. After this update things are even worse.  As well as going dormant a couple of times a day requiring me to disconnect/connect it now disconnects 3 - 5 times a day and that requires me to go to the router web page and hit connect.  Many times it immediately disconnects me no matter how many times I hit connect and I have to reset the device to get back online.  This is happening as I write this with 3 bars of signal on 4G LTE.  Time to reset again.  Anyone have any suggestions on alternative services for mobile internet for multiple devices in the NY, NJ, CT Tri-State area that actually work as advertised?

0 Likes
NotHappy_303
Contacted Verizon twice about this problem with the device constantly going dormant and/or just dropping the connection and got the typical canned response...remove and re-insert the SIM card and perform a hard reset. I can't believe they are ignoring all the complaints. I've never had a problem with Verizon's customer support before but they have obviously become very unresponsive! I guess I'll wait to join in on the class action lawsuit.
0 Likes
RUn2it

I'm going to demand they revert back to my old broadband contract for my 770 expresscard the the rep said there were no adaptors for expresscard to usb for my new computer without an expresscard slot, besides the constant dropped connections, random speeds usually slower the the 770, JUST DROPPED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!  And the 4510 is a GB hog, usage went up 3 GB or more and never seen 4G. Trying to update firmware with tech on the phone 2 times and blue screen. 2nd tech wrote a "ticket"  and got emailed a number on the 12th... OF NOVEMBER and when I inquired about it I was told I should call support, WHAT, AGAIN? MAYBE 2 TICKET NUMBERS .... I'm done with this aggravating piece of crap. Good luck to you all, if I don't get my old contract/service back maybe I'll see ya at Sprint or ATT, I'll take the cell and home phone with me.

0 Likes
98Ultrasport

I have been on this thread since almost the beginning, being the third poster.  When the first update for the 4510L came out, I waited to see the results others had.  After the latest update, 2.23 came out, I followed the results of that for a bit and then decided to go for it and do the update.  I used a Windows XP computer and the update worked easily on the first try.

I have now traveled enough with the 4510L to comment on the performance.  Overall, it is MUCH improved.  It readily switches from 3G to 4G and back.  The only issue I have seen relates to being in a fringe area for 4G.  It will sometimes be connected to the network but will not pass data.  I have found that manually forcing it to CDMA Auto (1XRTT, EVDO) under the “More” settings under WWAN has resolved the issue and the device works well.  When I move to another area that’s not on a fringe area, setting it back to LTE/CDMA allows the device to work fine.

I have mine set to 802.11g + 802.11b under the WIFI settings and that works well.

Overall, I will say the device is now performing well and although it took much longer than I would have hoped to get the problems addressed, I’m now much happier with its performance.    

0 Likes
98Ultrasport

As an update to my last, let me say that I have traveled enough with the 4510L to say that its performance seems to be quite dependent on location.  I have been in some locations where its performance is EXCELLENT and others where its performance, while quite good, is not nearly as good as others.  This is independent of whether it's connected to 3G or 4G.  Overall, if the device had performed this good when I got it, I would have been quite satisfied.

For those that wonder, I use it with a laptop running Windoze XP Pro.  I do have it set to 802.11g + 802.11b only which helped as well.  The only time I have to change any settings is if I'm parked in a 4G fringe area.  Other than that, it works well.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for the feedback!

There have been many growing pains with the Verizon LTE network recently.  I'm sure we can expect to see more as they continue to finish thier vision of a full nationwide LTE network.

0 Likes
compfan03

Just wanted to thank you for all the excellent practical advice in this area. I had been having problems with my 4510L MiFi and did a reset using the Admin page. (Somehow I could not get the paper clip to work.) In addition to resetting my MiFi, it also reset all entries on the Admin page back to defaults. Thought this might be helpful.

0 Likes
jimcook546

I live in San Diego CA - in a strong 4G area. I bought a MiFi 4G LTE from the Verizon store just a block from my residence. I was so very happy with it for the first day. After that - it locked onto a 3G signal (purple LED) and never - ever - went back to 4G again (green LED). I took it to the store without tampering with it a bit as it was brand new. We took out the battery - did a reset with the button - took the SIM card in and out. We tried everything- Nothing helped - they could not fix it. I am still in the middle of a battle to get a single dime back after returning all hardware - paperwork and everything. This has been a royal mess. Not handled well at all by the retailer.

0 Likes