8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2012 9:39 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Receiving texts from strangers

sharonjroth

Can I block receiving texts from salespeople? Should I reply or is that what they want?  Someone told me, if I reply, that is confirmation that the account is active and they will keep texting me. Is that true?

• 1. Re: Receiving texts from strangers
          DionM_VZW

Hello sharonjroth! Blocking unwanted text messages is easy! Before you begin, you will want to make sure that you know what the source is (i.e. the exact phone number, email address, or website). Once you've gotten that info, log into your account at My Verizon. On the homepage, scroll down to "I Want To..." and find the section titled "Plan". Under "Plan", you'll see a button titled "Block Calls & Messages" click on it and follow the instructions!

DionM_VZW

Follow Us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

• 2. Re: Receiving texts from strangers
            Wildman

Here is the direct link to the option that DionM_VZW is directing you to.... https://nbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/messageIntercept/messageInterceptHome.action also you may want to put your name on the "Do Not Call List" at 888-383-1222, you have to call from the device that you want to block.. (It will take 31 days to take effect but DionM suggestion can block it until then.

• 3. Re: Receiving texts from strangers
              sharonjroth

Thank you for responding Dion. I'm still in need of advice. I have deleted all of the unwanted texts I get from people looking to steal my ID because I applied for a job on Craigs List. When I get the text, there is no phone number or name. There is a link but I'm not going there. I went into My Verizon and looked at the Internet Spam tab. I don't understand the two choices:

1. Block all texts sent from the internet

2. Block all texts sent from email

I don't understand how the internet can send me a text. If I check this, will it solve my problem of receiving texts from strangers?

I don't understand how a text can be sent from email. If I check this, will it solve my problem of receiving texts from strangers?

• 4. Re: Receiving texts from strangers
                sharonjroth

Thanks, Wildman. I put my BlackBerry on the Do Not Call list years ago. I still get calls from foreigners offering me a job.  Does this have an expiration date so it has to be done again? Maybe the answer is not to put a phone number on my resume?

• 5. Re: Receiving texts from strangers
                  Wildman

As far as I thought the Do Not Call list for cellphones came in affect because the new law that past at begin of year (Did not know it was around for cells until recently)...  I really do not know if it has a expiration time because the message on the hotline never spoke of one.

FOUND ANSWER at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt107.shtm

It does not expire...  and I see that the DNC list has been in affect since 2003 but I never had to use it until recently..

Will My Registration Expire?

1.   How long does my phone number stay registered?

2. Telephone numbers on the registry will only be removed when they are disconnected and reassigned, or when the consumer chooses to remove a number from the registry. 

• 6. Re: Receiving texts from strangers
                    sharonjroth

I went online to confirm my registry. I registered my cell phone number in August 2008. 

You can advise others to go here to find out if they are registered. They can also register online. They don't have to call.

https://www.donotcall.gov/confirm/conf.aspx

• 7. Re: Receiving texts from strangers

Hi Sharon, just to clarify, if the messages you are receiving are being sent via the web, this setting will stop those messages from coming thru. This would block messages if people are using a web application or service to send you messages, anything that is not coming directly from another cellphone. Since you stated the messages do not have a mobile number, it sounds like the best option would be to block all messages from the internet and/or email.

I hope that helps!

MarquiaF_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

• 8. Re: Receiving texts from strangers
                        SuzyQ

sharonjroth wrote:

I don't understand how the internet can send me a text. If I check this, will it solve my problem of receiving texts from strangers?

I don't understand how a text can be sent from email. If I check this, will it solve my problem of receiving texts from strangers?

Texts can be sent to your phone number from websites ("the internet") and spoofed to look like they are coming from friends, or strangers, or just about anyone.  blocking this will stop messages coming from someone who is using one of these online programs to send messages to your phone.

Anyone can use an email program and send an email to yourph#@vtext.com and it will come in as a text message to your phone.  Blocking messages sent from an email address will stop these messages from reaching your phone.