Well, still having endless boot-looping!  I've done the:

1) Remove the battery, SIM card, & SD card

2) Replace just the battery

3) Leave the back cover off and reboot

4) Dial "*#*#4636#*#*"

5) Change network type from "WCDMA Preferred" to "CDMA + LTE/EVDO auto"

6) Power off and replace everything

7) Reboot

so many times that I can do it in my sleep. Wish I could change the title of this thread since it is misleading now.  I'm not getting anything from HTC & Verizon but finger pointing and the runaround!

@pat3332 "I just prefer using my own settings because the auto brightness always seems to be at a setting other than one I prefer. Yes, I'm a control freak."  LOL! Thanks for the laugh, I needed it!  I can relate!

@zrotwandr

I meant do you have any apps (usually weather apps) that use your "Current Location" as a setting for example the city for a weather app.

Re: Endless boot-looping, battery overheating and rapid draining on Rezound
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not used to this new system but at least I got this in a new thread with an appropriate subject title so people can find it.  To those who are interested or need more info refer to the "Re: Have a lead on the OTA update problems!"  discussion thread or to this forum http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1394659

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi DharmaDog,

Looks like you have done most troubleshooting options I would recommend. The only thing I don't see on your troubleshooting list is a Factory Reset. You may need to use the alternate method listed at the bottom of the page/link. Try it and keep us posted.

If all fails you may qualify for a Certified Like New Replacement if no physical/water damage to the phone and within the one year manufacturer's warranty.

AntonioC_VZWSupport

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is somewhere in my posts.  I did a factory reset several times before I found out about the changing network fix. It is not the phone.  Others have gotten a CLN replacement only to experience the same problem.  There are posts about this on several forums including the HTC support forum.

I have emails from both HTC and Verizon and also have spoken with them on the phone.  Both have acknowledged that this is a known problem with the phone that they are researching but have no ETA on a resolution or further information available.  There is a post admitting this on the HTC support forum from the HTC North American community relations person.

I'm sorry if this information has not been shared with everyone at Verizon.  Frankly, I am not surprised given the difficulty we have had getting someone to acknowledge and take responsibility for this!

0 Likes
Lubee
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just sent my phone back due to this problem and Verizon would not let me exchange the phone for a different type.  I was 15 days from the ship date so they made me utilize the warranty and are going to send me another one.  Who wants a Certified Like New when 15 days ago you told me you were sending me an AWESOME PHONE!!!  Now 15 days later it's "sorry but your 14 days are up"!  Verizon is heading down the Sprint path in my opinion and after all the problems I had with the first Incredible you would think they could be a little more sensitive to the customer's needs.

Just out of curiosity, why would you change the network with a reboot problem?

0 Likes
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

You'll need to read back thru the other thread going backwards from the end.  The rebooting is caused because for some unknown reason the network type gets changed by itself to "WCDMA Preferred".  This will not work on Verizon.  It has to be "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto"  or  "CDMA auto (PRL)".  You can try to reduce the problem by being sure that 4g is turned on from "Settings->Wireless & Networks->Mobile Networks->Network Mode->LTE/CDMA"  instead of "CDMA only".  Also turn off "Fast boot"  by "Settings->Power->Fast boot" being unchecked.  Do these 2 things before trying to restart or power down your device.

Message was edited by: DharmaDog: This is not a problem with the phone itself but some kind of software, firmware or network problem.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

There is a post admitting this on the HTC support forum from the HTC North American community relations person.

Sorry I missed these posts, I usually get emailed when there's a new post, but maybe they merged similar threads and messed up my notifications. I've clicked to get notifications again.

If it won't be too much trouble, could you post the link to the information you referenced in the quote? I'd search for it, but I'm fighting bronchitis, have a headache and don't have the energy right now. If you can post that one for me, I'll research the rest later.

Thanks

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I'd still like a good explanation as to why you and some others are getting switched to WCDMA Preferred. I'll try researching it later after I get some sleep and feel better.

Fortunately I haven't had that problem, but I work 25 miles from home and I've learned that when switching towers, when the phone is handed off, the new tower frequently doesn't recognize my phone's authentication code and when I get to work, I have to power off and back on to get that tower to recognize it. I now just automatically reboot when I get to work and it works fine the rest of the night. For some reason it's only a problem going from home to work, but not when I return home.

I wonder if what's happening to you is similar and you're getting switched when you are handed off from one tower to another. It still doesn't explain why you get changed to a network type that isn't recognized by Verizon unless you're being handed off to a different carriers tower somewhere along the way. I know it's aggravating for you, but it's an interesting problem.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have seen the 4G LTE phones switch to WCDMA preferred on both a HTC Thunderbolt and the Galaxy Nexus. Not at the same time, but in the same location off and on over several months.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Pat,  I hope you get to feeling better!  Here is the info.  The phone calls were more detailed but here is the HTC post and emails:

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-forums/android/f/176/t/14931.aspx?PageIndex=2

Posted by

Thanks for the rapid reply. HTC is definitely doing further research on this issue for phones that got already got the update.  And you are correct, there is no ETA at this time.

Here is the Verizon email which is also what I have been told on the phone:

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to learn that you are having difficulty with your HTC Rezound. We are happy to assist you with your concern.

We greatly value your business and understand your concern when your phone does not work to your expectations. We understand that you have made an investment in Verizon Wireless and addressing your concern is our number one priority.

The steps provided in the link you mentioned, as you are aware is a workaround to correct this issue. A fix for this issue is under review and will be included in the next maintenance release software for the Rezound. Your phone will alert you when software updates become available.

We hope you find this information helpful. Troubleshooting tips and helpful product information regarding the HTC Rezound can be found at:

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/

It has been a pleasure assisting you today. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please reply back to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Neil

Verizon Wireless

Data Technical Support

And the emails from HTC which is also what I was told on the phone but more detailed:

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this.

At this point, what I would suggest is to contact your carrier with all of the information you have given me. They may ask that you try another SIM in your device. If you do this, insert the SIM and be sure to do a soft reset by pulling out the battery for a full 30 seconds before replacing and powering on.

If the issue seemed to resolve only once your SIM card was removed then it may be that the SIM either needs to be replaced or that your carrier is experiencing issues in certain areas.

Again, I'm sorry for all inconvenience that you've experienced through this.

Sincerely,

Tara

HTC

And after informing her in more detail about the WCDMA Preferred fix:

Dear xxxxxxx,

I appreciate all the steps you have taken to make sure that we are aware of the full issue, and what you have gone through to troubleshoot it.

At this time, I have no information about when an update may be released for your Rezound, but again, I am always happy to provide these details to the development team.

I'd like to say thanks again, and have a great afternoon!

Sincerely,

Tara

HTC

0 Likes