App brought in spam? Says, "Zombie Farm Free!"
nvisages

At the risk of sounding ignorant ... Anyone else ever have this happen? I downloaded a bunch of apps from the marketplace and now I keep getting these notifications with a green star, for example, "Get the #1 Game Zombie Farm Free!" Tap to find out more! (opt out at ...)" and of course the opt-out link doesn't appear on my screen.

Thanks for your help!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: App brought in spam? Says, "Zombie Farm Free!"
Tidbits
Legend

It depends how the dev does it. Some if you uninstall them it stops. Like Let's Golf 3 for example(they notify you like once a week it seems like). Then there are ones 2-10 times a day...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes those pesky apps... There's some pretty terrible developers out there.

0 Likes
nvisages

Wish I knew which app "did it" (although maybe it doesn't matter, probably the damage has been done and there's no undoing it) .... I think I was stupid that night, going around downloading like a fiend (smacks head) ...

Thanx for the quick reply!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

It depends how the dev does it. Some if you uninstall them it stops. Like Let's Golf 3 for example(they notify you like once a week it seems like). Then there are ones 2-10 times a day...

0 Likes
nvisages

Aaah, cool. I think I'll delete some of the apps I had installed. Some weren't what I expected anyway, like REALLY bad ... next time I'll be more discriminating, right?   Thanks so much for the info! Totally appreciate it!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

No problem. Word of advice look at the permissions. No game should require internet access and personal data in the same breathe.

Some offline games may need internet access though like for license validation(electronic arts for example).

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

For future reference, the newest, most dastardly ad feature of some apps is Airpush, which sends ads to your notification bar.  To find out which apps on your phone may have this "feature", you can use this: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.denper.addonsdetector&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSw..., and then, if you find any that are doing this, install this: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.airpush.optoutapp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDE... and run it to permanently opt out.

I think this whole Airpush thing is a load of garbage, but at least they give you a way out of it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Also watch out for WAP permissions in the permission list.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Install AirPush Detector to find out which app is spamming you and delete it....  https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brosmike.airpushdetector&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGws...

tgreenwood
Enthusiast - Level 2

This happened when I downloaded a free Aesop ebook. AirPush Detector, recommended above, helped me find out what it was.  I deleted the book, and the ads stopped.

If it's too good to be true, it's probably malware!

0 Likes