I dont usually write in forums, but im going to make an exception this time.
I have several things to say about the Droid Charge model. So this might be a bit long.
Basically, i purchased my new phone last year in June because i was eligible for upgrade and i wanted to pick a phone before july 7th so that i could be grandfathered to the unlimited data plan. i wanted to wait for a better phone, but i wanted the unlimited deal. So i picked the Droid Charge because of 4G, beautiful display and 1600 mah battery being the best of that time. Overall it was the best model back then.
i was a little dissappointed with the outdated hardware in the phone; it had only a single core processor and 512 mb ram (only 328 mb ram available for apps). For $300 i expected the phone the phone to atleast have 768mb of ram like the Droid incredible 2; Not to mention a dual core processor like the Droid 3. I decided not to think much of it because it was my first smartphone and didnt expect the outdated hardware to have any noticable effects on the functionality.
Now it has been nearly 8 months and i have every possible issue u can have with a phone. im going to list them.
1) Within the first week i noticed lost text messages. With my old phone, i wud send myself a text nd receive any messages that might have gotten stuck or lost. i cant do that that with this phone. Also, there is no notification light. an advanced smartphone with no light notification?
2) Constantly drops data: I can understand the phone dropping 4G since it's a new technology, but 3G?. The phone cant even hold on to 3G whether im sitting in one spot at home or driving around near downtown. I cant use youtube, Netflix or the internet for too long without being interupted.
3) GPS is horrible: I want to use google maps naviagation and it wont get a lock on my location. for the next 20 minutes in the car, all i see is "your location is temporarily unavailable"
4) WiFi is weak all the time: my router has really good bandwith and no matter how close i am to the Wifi unit, i will only have 1 bar. 2 bars if am lucky. The 3rd bar is pretty much non existant.
5) This phone has lag in almost everything i use it for: I cant visit websites with flash content without disabling Java and Plug-ins. Also, sometimes i press the application button and it takes forever to load my application list. i have to keep clearing memory in my task manager to make space for other applications since i only have 328 mb ram available (3 quarters of it being used up regardless if i have anything running or not).
6) Random rebooting: i will play a game for about 20-30 minutes and when press exit on the game, it exits to my application list and then it goes to a black screen with the buttons lighting up. i cant turn it off or on with the power button; i have to remove the battery.
7) Drops Calls: i will be on a call with my friend and after a certain amount of time it drops the call. i call him again and it drops again. when i look at my screen to see what happened....there is no notification tht said my call ended nd how long it lasted. just my home screen. This *SMART*phone cant even handle a basic function for a phone?
8) Extended battery: The battery life of the original battery is not enough for handling 4G or games. So i decided on finding an extended battery. Finding one has been impossible. i need a battery tht comes with an extended battery cover and extended battery silicone cover. Trexcell and Hyperion have all 3, but with bad quality covers that chip and crack easily. even though the reviews said that, i bought one from trexcell anyway and it turned out to be true. the back cover chipped because i had to keep removing the cover when the phone stops responding and goes to a black screen.
With all these problems...i have been very patient with this phone. i was told that software updates would fix my phone's problems. so far i have received 2 updates for this phone. 1 regular update in the summer and a gingerbread update in early december, yet i see the same problems continue. I have been reading the forums for my phone for the past 2 weeks and all i see are other people who are frustrated with this phone for the same reasons that i am. i also have read that other droid charge owners have received their 5th and even 6th refurbished replacements and still have the same problems. I met someone at a wedding last month with the same phone. the discussion came right to the problems with the device and he was on his 2nd refurbished replacement with continued issues.
I am fully confident that the Droid Charge model is defective. It is unfair to me that i paid $300 and am paying $30 a month for a phone that doesnt work properly in any feature i want to use. i beleive i atleast deserve a replacement phone of a different model. I think i have been robbed enough.
I apologize for the long complaint.