Countless problems with Droid Charge...
eternal_deed
Enthusiast - Level 2

I dont usually write in forums, but im going to make an exception this time.

I have several things to say about the Droid Charge model. So this might be a bit long.

Basically, i purchased my new phone last year in June because i was eligible for upgrade and i wanted to pick a phone before july 7th so that i could be grandfathered to the unlimited data plan. i wanted to wait for a better phone, but i wanted the unlimited deal. So i picked the Droid Charge because of 4G, beautiful display and 1600 mah battery being the best of that time. Overall it was the best model back then.

i was a little dissappointed with the outdated hardware in the phone; it had only a single core processor and 512 mb ram (only 328 mb ram available for apps). For $300 i expected the phone the phone to atleast have 768mb of ram like the Droid incredible 2; Not to mention a dual core processor like the Droid 3. I decided not to think much of it because it was my first smartphone and didnt expect the outdated hardware to have any noticable effects on the functionality.

Now it has been nearly 8 months and i have every possible issue u can have with a phone. im going to list them.

1) Within the first week i noticed lost text messages. With my old phone, i wud send myself a text nd receive any messages that might have gotten stuck or lost. i cant do that that with this phone. Also, there is no notification light. an advanced smartphone with no light notification?

2) Constantly drops data: I can understand the phone dropping 4G since it's a new technology, but 3G?. The phone cant even hold on to 3G whether im sitting in one spot at home or driving around near downtown. I cant use youtube, Netflix or the internet for too long without being interupted.

3) GPS is horrible: I want to use google maps naviagation and it wont get a lock on my location. for the next 20 minutes in the car, all i see is "your location is temporarily unavailable"

4) WiFi is weak all the time: my router has really good bandwith and no matter how close i am to the Wifi unit, i will only have 1 bar. 2 bars if am lucky. The 3rd bar is pretty much non existant.

5) This phone has lag in almost everything i use it for: I cant visit websites with flash content without disabling Java and Plug-ins. Also, sometimes i press the application button and it takes forever to load my application list. i have to keep clearing memory in my task manager to make space for other applications since i only have 328 mb ram available (3 quarters of it being used up regardless if i have anything running or not).

6) Random rebooting: i will play a game for about 20-30 minutes and when press exit on the game, it exits to my application list and then it goes to a black screen with the buttons lighting up. i cant turn it off or on with the power button; i have to remove the battery.

7) Drops Calls: i will be on a call with my friend and after a certain amount of time it drops the call. i call him again and it drops again. when i look at my screen to see what happened....there is no notification tht said my call ended nd how long it lasted. just my home screen. This *SMART*phone cant even handle a basic function for a phone?

😎 Extended battery: The battery life of the original battery is not enough for handling 4G or games. So i decided on finding an extended battery. Finding one has been impossible. i need a battery tht comes with an extended battery cover and extended battery silicone cover. Trexcell and Hyperion have all 3, but with bad quality covers that chip and crack easily. even though the reviews said that, i bought one from trexcell anyway and it turned out to be true. the back cover chipped because i had to keep removing the cover when the phone stops responding and goes to a black screen.

With all these problems...i have been very patient with this phone. i was told that software updates would fix my phone's problems. so far i have received 2 updates for this phone. 1 regular update in the summer and a gingerbread update in early december, yet i see the same problems continue. I have been reading the forums for my phone for the past 2 weeks and all i see are other people who are frustrated with this phone for the same reasons that i am. i also have read that other droid charge owners have received their 5th and even 6th refurbished replacements and still have the same problems. I met someone at a wedding last month with the same phone. the discussion came right to the problems with the device and he was on his 2nd refurbished replacement with continued issues.

I am fully confident that the Droid Charge model is defective. It is unfair to me that i paid $300 and am paying $30 a month for a phone that doesnt work properly in any feature i want to use. i beleive i atleast deserve a replacement phone of a different model. I think i have been robbed enough.

I apologize for the long complaint.

0 Likes
Re: Countless problems with Droid Charge...
keitoflan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is the phone within warantee? Do you have insurance?

Have you tried any troubleshooting or discussing options with tech support?

0 Likes
eternal_deed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes i have insurance. i am paying for it monthly. and i thought the warranty ends within 14 days after purchase?

i am in a family plan and my father is the primary line.

i decided to make this post before i go to the verizon store this weekend just to see if any of the administrators can tell me my options for a new phone.

0 Likes
keitoflan
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I recall correctly and manufacturer's warranty lasts a year. The 14 day period is how long you have to return the phone before you're stuck in the contract for good and can no longer get a refund. If you are under warranty they will replace your phone regardless if tech advises there's no hope for the phone. If you have insurance they'll do it via asurion's insurance coverage.

I had to have them replace my droid 2 three times under warranty and they eventually gave me a droid 3.

0 Likes
eternal_deed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh i see. Well this sort of gives me some hope. i mean...im still prolly going to have to pay for a different model phone, but atleast i'll have a functioning device. My only concern is that they'll try to give me a refurbished droid charge. That is absolutly not an option for me because a refurbished device can mean that another customer had problems with it and returned it, and now theyr going to try to give it to me. From what i have read in the reviews...the refurbished ones are worse than the new one u already had. i already mentioned my experience about that guy i met at a wedding  with the same phone who had 2 replacements with continued issues. so id rather keep the new one that i have taken rly good care of. And a new droid charge wont solve the problem either because this model in general is defective and the hardware is outdated. So if they gave you a droid 3, im expecting and hoping that they'll let me purchase a Droid Razr because i checked the reviews and specs and that phone seems to be very up to date with minimal complaints.

And i really appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

0 Likes
keitoflan
Enthusiast - Level 3

No problem. 🙂

If they replace it under warantee or insurance it will be a CLNR model (certified like new replacement... aka. Refurbished). I don't know what it was about the droid 2 but I had screen issues all the time and eventually told them after so many factory resets and having to set up a new phone all the time, I nicely refused any other droid 2s and nicely also asked if they would consider sending another model. (This was call center tech, not in store. In my experience the store people just wanted me gone so they could get to the next customer and therefore their next commission.) Another piece of advice is to stay calm and nice. If you're rude and overbearing the agent will just want to get away from you ASAP. I did get a choice of a few models and I chose the droid 3 because I loved my droid 2 but the screen would get frozen on a black screen. The droid 3 was also another CLNR version but I have not had any issues besides the GPS being wibbly on the rare occassion which isn't a big enough issue for me to consider replacement since if I power cycle the phone it works immediately. I love my droid 3.

CLNRs aren't horrible if the device is solid but with models that are very prone to issues I'd be wary.

Best of luck. Always wait a few weeks after a new phone release also so that you can get accurate reviews and reports of constant errors on the phone. I'd only consider upgrading to the droid 4 once it's released and recieves the promised ICS update and even then wait a period to make sure the model is solid and dosen't have wide reported issues. The original droid line is positively reviewed and the droid 1 is still loved by their original owners.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

eternal_deed wrote:

So if they gave you a droid 3, im expecting and hoping that they'll let me purchase a Droid Razr because i checked the reviews and specs and that phone seems to be very up to date with minimal complaints.

Verizon will 'let' you purchase a new phone anytime you would like. If you purchased your current Charge last June, though, you will have to pay full retail for the new device, and currently the Razr is selling for $599(16GB model) or $649(32GB model). Having purchased your Charge last June, you will not be eligible for a discounted upgrade purchase until Feb of 2013.

0 Likes
eternal_deed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well im glad that they gave u the option for the droid 3 and not continue to replace you with the same model. Im also having the black screen issue right after i exit a game. it doesnt happen every time because it's random, but because of the black screen...i have to remove the battery over and over. And because of constantly removing the battery....i cant buy any extended batteries because they sell cheaply made back covers that will chip or crack if i take the cover off. one problem leads to another lol.

As for the CLNR models, i'll consider taking your word for it. Getting a CLNR droid charge is not going to fix anything, but i might consider a CLNR of a different model. im interested in the Droid Razr Maxx because it will solve my extended battery search problem. So i guess i should wait until they have CLNR's of those. i might still make tht trip to the verizon store this weekend just to see wht kind of luck i have. If no luck, maybe the Droid 4 sounds nice since ur saying uve had 2 of those phones with minimal problems.

0 Likes
eternal_deed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes i am aware of them letting me purchase anytime at retail price. But if they are putting a defective device on their shelves...it's not my fault. i signed a 2 year contract for a phone that is supposed to work. That pretty much means that my eligibility of a discount was wasted anyway. With all the complaints on that device...im surprised they havent taken it off their inventory yet. Even more surprised that it's still 200 bux.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

eternal_deed wrote:

But if they are putting a defective device on their shelves...it's not my fault. i signed a 2 year contract for a phone that is supposed to work. That pretty much means that my eligibility of a discount was wasted anyway. With all the complaints on that device...im surprised they havent taken it off their inventory yet. Even more surprised that it's still 200 bux.

You can find people saying this about EVERY phone that Verizon sells, INCLUDING the RAZR which you would prefer to get. There are even threads about the RAZR where people think Verizon should provide EVERY owner a FREE upgrade to the new RAZR MAXX in exchange for the RAZR because the RAZR is a defective device which Verizon sold them. There is not a SINGLE phone which Verizon sells which does not have SEVERAL people which claim it is a defective device which was sold by Verizon, it isn't their fault and Verizon should give them a different phone.