Why are apostrophes replaced with "'"?
psklenar

I don't see it when I write and send am email from the Nexus, nor do I see it when I send myself emails & look at them in my desktop email client (Thunderbird) and via the one web email acct i have (live.com), but I've had multiple friends & family ask me why I'm typing things like

I'm

I'll

Barry's

etc, etc, etc.

' is the HTML take for an apostrophe, but why are only some of my friends and family seeing this and not everyone?  Is there a setting in the stock email client that I can set to not default to HTML email?  or ... ?

Thank  you,

pat----

0 Likes
Re: Why are apostrophes replaced with "'"?
Wildman
Legend

This is because if the word you are typing isnt in the keyboards dictionary, usually if you clear the dictionary words through Settings / Keyboard options and then add the word to the dictionary.

0 Likes
psklenar

actually, "I'll" and "I'm"  are in the dictionary.  so i think there's something else at play here. Smiley Sad

But thanks for the quick responce!

pat----

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Have you tried another keyboard like Smart Keyboard....    https://market.android.com/details?id=net.cdeguet.smartkeyboardtrial&feature=search_result#?t=W251bG...

Maybe it will work better under the situation...

0 Likes
rfeng

I have the same issue.  One guy @ verizon suggested I go to my signature for my emails and remove any symbols from it.  That means apostrophes, dash symbols, commas, periods.  whatever is in there that is a symbol.  I didn't have a way to test to see if that worked or not.  It comes up random.  Seems to happen whenever I send an email with an apostrophe in it to someone.  I'm, don't, I'd, it's, they've, so on and so forth.  I'm a little frustrated that I can't get any good answers.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Are they viewing the messages in a browser or something that would you the HTML format?   When you look at your message does it show correctly?  If so then I wouldn't blame the device as the issue...

0 Likes
rfeng

I don't know what their settings are but its on their phones and sometimes on their pc's through email such as outlook.  When I look at it....it is correct.  I didn't quite understand the HTML format sentence.....could you reiterate that portion please?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

It's misinterpreted code for an apostrophe.

To get technical: it works in XML, but not in HTML (two different codings used for web pages) and people often use it mistakenly, not realising that it won't display properly.

Sources:

See The Curse of ' http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2003/07/01/…

0 Likes
rfeng

Ok.  I can comprehend that.  However how can it be corrected?  My contention is....it shouldn't be doing that.  No matter what the reason.  However, I am open minded to a fix.  Is there one?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

OK, have you check the original message that was sent from your device and make sure their isn't a typo in the actual email, if for some reason a incorrect word was input in a area and saved to the dictionary the keyboard would attempt to force the text in a message and you may overlooked it?   Also trying another keyboard for a bit and see if issue continues..

If all information is inputted correct then it would have to be changed in transit and I am not sure what could be done from any users from this forum.  CS or a admin would most likely have to investigate further.

0 Likes