How to add personal hotspot to a PC running Windows 7?
bedbug

I've added a personal hotspot to my iphone 4s, but can't get my windows PC to recognize the device connected via USB. Other than switching to a mac, any suggestions on how to get the PC to recognize the phone? The phone is showing under "Computer" on the control panel, but not under "Network".  When I try to set up a new connection and the PC searches for new access points, nothing comes up.  Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: How to add personal hotspot to a PC running Windows 7?
Wildman
Legend

First thing I think you are doing wrong is not understand the difference of Hotspot and Tethering,

• When you are accessing a hotspot it is like turning your phone into a wireless router that uses your web connection from you device for other devices through a wifi connection.

• When Tethering you plug the phone into the device through a usb connection and at this point the device will share the data connection from the device through the usb connections, basically when you install the drivers for this connection the computer will see the phone like a dial-up modem on your device.

If you want to connect to the device as a Hotspot all you have to do is

1. Activate Hotspot service on account
  2. Enable App on device that is being used to connect to (Don't have iphone 4s so unsure what app this is)
  3. Turn on wifi on computer
  4. When the SSID shows up that you have iphone set as, select connection
  5. Input Security Password if one is set.
  6. Wait for connection to get IP Address
  7. Browse the web and enjoy.
0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe I'm getting a little confused which is possible since I'm not familiar with the 3G hotspot, but with 4G, there are two different ways to tether. If tethering to your wireless hotspot, you don't need to connect with a USB cable because it's wireless and all the USB cable does is charge your phone. If using a tethering program, most of those do connect via USB.

On my wife's iPhone 4, the tethering is turned on in settings (Under General I think) and you can only turn it on if you are paying for the 3G hotspot.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

The new format is a little different for editing and I'm not use t it yet, so I'll just add this.

When I set my Android up, the hotspot setup gave me the SSID and default password. I changed the password to something more difficult since most default passwords are well known. I also chose my security setting while in the setup screen. Then, on my computer, I had to manually enter the SSID, security setting and password info that is on my hotspot setup screen. Not real difficult, but not exactly automatic either. Maybe the process with the iPhone is a little easier.

Also, even though it seems simple, make sure the hotspot on your phone is turned on when you want to connect. Something I've been know to occasionally forget, especially after rebooting my phone.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Hey Pat,

To EDIT a post, bring up the post you wrote. To the right of the post will be a list of options. One will be edit.

As for tethering, I am having an issue to get tethering to work. To use my TB as a hotspot is simple, but I want to see if speed is better while tethering.

I have followed the instructions, DL'd drivers and I get a connection, but no activity.

0 Likes
bedbug

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

@Wildman, you're right, I was getting the two confused but I've now got the wireless connection going so I've got the access I was looking for.

@Budone, I'm looking to do the same thing--using a USB to tether to improve performance. I'll wander into the Apple store here in SF some day and ask the geniuses behind the bar. 

Thanks again for the quick answers, everyone.

PB

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Hey budone,

I can get to the edit, but I'm use to being able to just add it to the original post and this new format wants you to add it into a new window and I didn't feel like experimenting yet.

Part, if not all of the problem could be the Bolt. I just retired mine since getting the Rezound. I could tether my Bolt okay for about the first 3 months during the free hotspot promotion, but then went steadily down hill until for about the last 3 months I could only get 3G off & on alternating with 1x. Often, untethered I could get 4G, but not tethered. I would get a 4G icon in the status bar, but no up/down arrow activity & no connection to the server. I thought it might be the network, but I tried them both side by side for two weeks and the Rezound was always connected to 4G and occasionally 3G while the Bolt just sat there like a door stop.

Also, the Bolt would slow down when I tethered it, even when I could get 4G. It seemed to work fine when not tethered, but as soon as I tethered it, loading web sites would get real slow. The Rezound fixed that also. It's not any faster tethered, but no slower either. Just the same 4G speed regardless. I've read that the Rezound has a different radio and it also has no shortage of antenna's inside the back cover.

I still like my Bolt and am keeping it in case they get most of the issues fixed in the future, but the Rezound is superior in every way and in my opinion, superior to about every other phone Verizon has right now. I hated taking the financial hit, but I need the network to work.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Pat, thanks for the info. Guess I will stick with my TB being a hotspot. Only issue I have with that is my connection goes dormant after 30 minutes exactly unless I remember to hit the power button to light the screen, If I do this, I never have an issue. My issue is REMEMBERING!

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

budone wrote:

Pat, thanks for the info. Guess I will stick with my TB being a hotspot. Only issue I have with that is my connection goes dormant after 30 minutes exactly unless I remember to hit the power button to light the screen, If I do this, I never have an issue. My issue is REMEMBERING!

Change Power Manager to None in the Hotspot app will resolve the issue..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42820441/Wifi%20Hotspot%20Power%20Manager.gif

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Showing off eh?????    Which was fine as I love your background image!

I believe I have tried that, but I will try it again now..... Update in 30 minutes

UPDATE! Did not work. That setting keeps the Hotspot alive with inactivity.  My issue is the 3G connection goes dormant and 3G icon is gone after 30 minutes of phone inactivity, even though I am active with the hotspot.

I hit the power button, 3G icon re-appears and I all is good..... for another 30 minutes

Ideas???

Message was edited by: budone

0 Likes