Re: 10yr customer switching to AT&T from Verizon for the Nokia 900 Lumia
ma7mgte
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm waiting until the Mobile World Congress (Feb 27th - Mar 1st) where Verizon would make anty announcements about WP7 before I decide to leave.  I've been with Verizon since '95 and would hate to loose my upgrade bonus, but I want the Lumia 900.  AT&T's LTE coverage here in the D.C. area is as good as Verizon, so I'm not concerened about that.

bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

since VZW's network (CDMA) is only in use in the US, I'm not holding out for any big news in a "worldwide" conference. i can't even remember what they announced in 2011, that's how insignificant whatever they had to say was, and that would've been ~2mo before they released their first WP7 device

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

"I'd rather have a great phone and drop calls...."

to me, it can't be a great phone, if it drops calls due to the network. they go hand in hand in my opinion. if dropping calls is no big deal then i wouldn't be with verizon either. i'd get a nice smartphone on a dirt cheap network and save $50/month. however, i can't afford to drop clients' calls and i travel all over AZ (desert) and there's only one provider that can hold a signal in the mountains AND the desert of my area.

when the HTC EVO came out, i was disappointed that verizon got the Incredible while sprint got the EVO.....until i tried to use the EVO. and this was in the city. in my opinion, coverage is underrated....and although i'm sure it's better now, i can't tell you how many times friends of mine had to borrow my old flip phone on the golf course when their iphones had no signal at all (granted, this was a while back....about 2 years ago).

ma7mgte
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the MWC is the biggest conference of the year for wireless carriers, so any significant news is generally announce then.  If Verizon gives us nothing new, then hello AT&T.  Good timing too since the Lumia will be comming out 2 weeks later....

chinch
Contributor - Level 1

No coverage is a deal-killer. If you can't get signal a phone is worthless. Coverage also changes rapidly and daily.

Obviously anyone looking to CHANGE to at&t has determined they have adequate coverage.

My point ultimately is that many are hesitant to switch to at&t are Verizon customers proud of "great network" having justified the worst phones for years (and well before iPhone). The early at&t iPhone users had untested iPhone on a network flooded with bandwidth hogging geeks in major metro areas (NYC/SF/Bay notably). Many articles showing how handoff from tower to tower was lacking in iPhone but just blamed on AT&T thanks to the Steve Jobs Defense Shield (apple is perfect, blame at&t).

Marketing/perception creates a false reality of where if the Verizon network drops a call it's blamed by default on at&t (or TM or Sprint). Just this week i spoke for 40 minutes to a landline (from my Titan 4G) then called a VZW (dumphone user) friend in a known "poor reception area" (it was during school pickup so i know exactly where they were). It took 3 times to connect and they said "i have GOOD SIGNAL". ROTFLMAO.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

true...but you'd be surprised at how many people don't find out about coverage before they are locked into a 2 year contract (not just going from verizon to at&t. i've seen new verizon customers out of luck because they had great service at their home with at&t and nothing with verizon). i understand your point.....and if you don't travel and at&t has fine service at your home and work, then it's a no brainer to me. heck....i'd go with cricket or some other cheapie if it covered my home and i didn't NEED a signal anywhere else. it's area specific and i know there are plenty of areas that at&t or sprint have better service.......but the fact is, verizon has better coverage nationwide.

0 Likes
chinch
Contributor - Level 1

if AT&T coverage is 95 out of 100 then VZW is 96 or 97 out of 100.  There are huge areas where AT&T has far better coverage, Verizon just out-markets in the two coasts. For reference TM would be like 80 out of 100 and Sprint maybe 86 out of 100.

Ultimately if "coverage" is 100% VITAL to business and you travel you need a dumb-phone handy with secondary carrier regardless.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i suppose this is why i'm fairly biased against at&t:

http://www.cellreception.com/coverage/az/phoenix/page1.html

i understand though, that this is only my city, and it's different everywhere.

jimhamill3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Been with Verizon ever since they bought out Airtouch back in the mid-90s.  Currently usine WP6.5 and need to upgrade.  Been watching the reports on Nokia and really want their 900 model but think it will go the way of the Iphone and strictly be a AT&T product.  Time for Verizon to wakeup.  Prefer VZW due to coverage where I live but Sprint also covers here pretty well.  Problem is only WP7 phone Sprint has is the HTC Arrive which is similar to the Trophy.  Neither the Trophy nor the Arrive will allow email attachments except photos so I'm stuck.  Thanks for nothing VZW.

AZSALUKI
Legend

you can't attach ANYTHING except a picture? is that a WP7 thing? or do those devices somehow specifically block other file types from being attached?

0 Likes