10yr customer switching to AT&T from Verizon for the Nokia 900 Lumia
jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I've been with Verizon for almost 10 years.  That's about $20,000 to $30,000 I've given them.  I know that's nothing to a massive company, but I also know that it's not peanuts either.  I have been very happy with Verizon during those years (though I have gotten sick of every single other company always having nicer, better, cooler phones).  But their service has been good, as well as the customer service.  However, I have gotten to a point where I don't like the android phones at all, and don't really like iphones either.  I've been sitting on an old HTC TP2 and now am out of contract.  I was hoping Verizon would get the 900 Lumia, but it has now been announced as AT&T only.  Why does Verizon always have to be the last company to get any sort of innovative phones? 

I am about 90% sure I will be switching to AT&T.  I don't like the way Verizon clings to their droids, how their salespeople only push one or two devices, and I don't like how they handled their iphone introduction (instead of innovating, they just jumped on the bandwagon a few years too late). 

I know that the people interested in Windows Phones are a small minority, but if we can get this thing to trend it might get someone's attention.  At worst, make them consider bringing in some new phones.  I don't want the dumbed-down 700 series Nokia phone. 

Anyone else considering a switch to AT&T?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 10yr customer switching to AT&T from Verizon for the Nokia 900 Lumia
primortal
Master - Level 1

I'm considering but not sure if it's worth the pain of dealing with poor reception were I live.  Plus at&t's LTE coverage is a joke at the moment so I would be dealing with 3G anyhow.

WMPowerUsers has an interesting post, http://wmpoweruser.com/verizon-lte-is-a-hard-requirement-for-new-smartphones/ so it's still up in the air about VZW carrying WP devices.  It's possible that there is a Nokia device in the wings that we don't know about yet the VZW might be getting.  Or VZW is waiting for Windows Phone 8 to be released at the end of the year.

The 900 probably won't be available to at least April before I make the final decision.  Also the World Mobile Conference is at the end of next month so there is some hope of VZW announcing a device or two.

jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've seen that information, but I don't think that a Nokia 710 will do anything but hurt.  It's not a flagship device.  It's not going to bring people to Verizon (or re-up them) and it's probably going to get buried quickly by Verizon sales reps and then Verizon will say "we tried to push W7, it's just not a good platform."

A WP7 me too phone won't get anyone excited.  A 900 would have.  I personally don't care about LTE, but some people do. 

Crossing my fingers.....

primortal
Master - Level 1

The 710 is rumor also so only VZW/Microsoft/Nokia knows what's going on and they are being tight lipped about it.  VZW has said in the past that all new devices will be LTE capable (probably except iPhone if the iPhone 5 isn't LTE) so it's here to stay..

With Nokia planning to pay sales folks $10-$15 per device (http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-to-bring-exclusive-windows-phones-to-each-us-carrier/) it might be more incentive for them to push the WP device for walk-in customers.  Where in the past they weren't being paid hence discouraging customers when asked about WP devices.

0 Likes
jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well that might be nice.  Once again hope that they have something interesting up their sleeves, but ten years of being a Verizon customer has me thinking otherwise.  If they had something juicy to say, wouldn't they have said it at CES?  And will AT&T really want Verizon to piggy back their "hero" marketing campaign? 

bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

I'm going to give them until my contract's up, May of 2013, to shape up their act. If they haven't by then I'll for sure jump ship to a more forward-looking, open-minded, technologically diverse carrier.

It's clear that they don't care what their "small" WP user base has to say, there are at least a dozen posts to the same effect like this, especially since CES, and not a single VZW rep has commented or offered any consolation. There are VZW reps on these boards providing incorrect information for WP support, calling WP "Windows Mobile", etc - the lack of education in their own ranks sends a clear message.

At any rate, my wife is on a different contract schedule than me, hers is up this summer, but when she gets a new phone I am aiming to get it off-contract so that I am not locked in to VZW any longer once my contract is up. Hopefully I'm able to swing that chunk of change.

only time will tell.

jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, it's been my main frustration for 10yrs.  I got great service and great customer service, but never any phones that didn't seem at least 6 months behind the times.  Just starting to wonder how much great customer service is really worth...

sm4astan
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm giving them until the Nokia 900 comes out on AT&T.  If nothing has been announced or hinted at in regards to a high-end flagship phone, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm giving AT&T a shot.  If the reception can be lived with, I'm moving, then the other 4 handsets in my household plus mobile broadband.  With a 30-day return policy where all it will cost me is $35 to give a phone back, there's no reason I won't try. 

Nokia 900 = Best Smartphone of CES 2012 Award

I sure hope someone at Big Red is in the hot seat for (I assume) passing on this bad boy of a hot phone.

jcb193
Enthusiast - Level 3

Totally agree.  I know it's a longshot, but what if WP7 and Nokia are the next iphone. Can you imagine them passing on the two biggest new phones?  Then again, they are printing money with their droid churning.

bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

They did it once already.

On 12.01.2012 20:36, jcb193 wrote:

RE: 10YR CUSTOMER

SWITCHING TO AT||AMP||T FROM VERIZON FOR THE NOKIA 900 LUMIA

created by jcb193 in Windows Phone Discussions - View the full

discussion

0 Likes