Re: Unable to download Backup Assistant_ Error (3332)
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

NextelGuy wrote:

I know this thread is old, but has anyone had luck with Get It Now to work on their phone?  I am looking to use my old RAZR once again, but without the Get It Now feature, picture messaging does not work.

Thanks

May I ask which RAZR you are wanting to switch back to? Is it the V9M, V3C or the  V3M? Have you already activated the phone on your line? 

What issues are you having with picture messaging? You shouldn't have to have Get It Now on order to be able to send/receive picture messages. If you are having issues, I would be happy to look into your account settings on our end to make sure you are able to send/receive picture messages.

0 Likes
queenb123

This is false info!

0 Likes
nadafan

Queenb, what do you mean by "This is false info"? I have an LG Chocolate that I recently reactivated. The story I got from the Verizon tech person is that Get It Now does not work on older phones. I have used BitPim on this phone before, which is probably what I will do to update my contacts. I do like having the auto backup feature "just in case" and am frustrated that Verizon seems to care little about their loyal customers. I have been a verizon customer for over 10 years but have been considering switching, and this might just tip the scales for me. Since this service was part of my plan when I signed my contract, I am wondering if this might constitute a breach of that contract.

0 Likes
FTJoe

I called a store in Paramus NJ and they said they aren't even flashing phones anymore because it resets them and people were getting irate.  I find it hard to believe that is true.  I guess I'll have to try a few more stores.  Luckily, all 5 phones I have are up for renewal.  Been like that for a while.  Every time I call for something and they can't help, they notice that and ask why I don't just upgrade.  i point out they are like that because with disappointment after diappointment I vowed 3 years ago to not be stuck getting out of the contract.  Here's yet another disappointment.

0 Likes
DaveJacko

Bluetooth Worked for me as well

BandAid???? LOL

0 Likes
Jefesi
Enthusiast - Level 2

(This is going to take a while. Get a drink or a cup of coffee. You may need both. )

At last! My long national nightmare is OVER! My phone is fixed and my Backup Assistant restored!

All thanks to two wonderful people: Firelands1, who posted in Message 68 about the W. River Rd. store in Elyria, Ohio, and Whisper Rose, the tech at that store. Also, props to Luke Templeton, VZW Internet Response Team coordinator, and Tim Galvin at the Northgate Seattle store. Everybody tried, not all were successful.

Luke attempted to find me the software update locally, and came up with Northgate. Supposedly, what I needed was the T83VZV04 software (mine was 03). Supposedly, Northgate had it. But, as Tim discovered when I got there, the 04 software had been deleted  from the system with no notice to the store techs!

Turns out, however, that the T83VZV04 update has nothing to do with much. The problem, as Whisper explained to me, is a series of Qualcomm MDR codes that apparently were only selectively distributed for a short time to the various stores and Tier 2 techs in certain regions, then pulled by Verizon corporate. (Thanks a bunch!)

Only one option left. After seven months of beating my head against a dead Verizon wall, I FedEx'd my phone to Ohio. I'd spoken to Whisper a couple months earlier, so I called again and sent the phone to her attention. Once she had the it, it took her all of 20 minutes to reprogram it. In the interim, I used my five year old Samsung as a back-up.

Of course, the Samsung didn't contain my updated 438 contacts, nor was it capable of downloading Backup Assistant software or my contacts, which I had been manually editing and updating for six months at the My Verizon web site. Not that it would have mattered. When I went online last week to edit the Backup Assistant folder, IT WASN'T THERE! Verizon had completely deleted it! If anything had happened to my LG in transit or during the reprogramming/updating process, all my contacts would have been lost. Says right on the Verizon web site they'll send you e-mail notification if they plan to delete your Backup. They didn't. (Thanks a bunch!)

Usually reliable FedEx didn't help much here, either. I paid for Priority Overnight, figuring if Whisper could get the phone early Friday and update it, she could ship it back the same afternoon and I'd have it by Saturday morning (I paid for that, too). FedEx didn't deliver the phone to her til Saturday afternoon, and they were closed Sunday and Monday. The phone finally reappeared here Wednesday morning. So yeah, I was without my primary Verizon phone and contacts for nearly a week, over the Christmas holiday. (Free lumps of coal for FedEx.)

Bottom line: Whisper Rose gets an A+, as do all the various reps who sincerely tried to help. No one tried to blow me off. They just had their hands tied by Corporate. I get an A+, too, for refusing to give up and not switching all my lines to AT&T! You guys at Verizon corporate pretty much suck the big one in this entire fiasco!

As Luke correctly noted, I got mine, but this still leaves thousands of Verizon customers without a service they pay for! All I can recommend is calling Whisper in Elyria, and sending her your phone. Then deducting all the expense from your phone bill and writing Verizon an emphatic letter detailing why. (Btw, I'm sending Whisper a nice gift of appreciation. If all of you swamp her with requests, I'm presuming you'll do the right thing and also reciprocate. Otherwise, she might quit and we'll all be screwed!)

One more thing. I've at least got to ask the boneheads at Verizon Corporate this question:

YOU CALL THIS SERVICE??? REALLY??? IS THIS WHAT YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS HAVE TO DO TO GET IT??? REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!

skridler

On 01/04/12, in addition to this thread, I posted this message on the following two related Verizon threads.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/525322
Error Cannot retrieve catalog... (3328) Backup Asst.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/502284/

New software update means I cant use Get It Now anymore!

---------

To the folks who posted information, thank you very much! If you only want the core facts, skip to the last paragraph.

My husband had a Casio GZ'One V from around 2007, and I handle the account for him. It is bulkier than he needs, so we wanted to switch to another phone of a similar age that we already had. I went to the Verizon site and tried to follow the instructions for switching phones, but they don't even tell you how to do it on a "feature phone" (one that is not a smart phone, etc...) They tell you to back up your contacts, but don't tell you whether using Backup Assistant is free to people with only a voice plan, and no data plan. (I never expected it would be free, but I searched threads & found out that it is supposedly free, though I have learned not to trust anything with Verizon.) So I decided to try backing up the contacts via Backup Assistant.

Poking around on the Casio, I found the choice for "Get New App." under the menu for "Get Going". But after trying to connect, it said "Unable to retrieve catalog. Please try again later. (3328)" Of course, trying later is no help. Not knowing that we could have used the Backup Assistant with no data plan, we never tried it. From this thread and related ones, I found out that many older phones that never used Backup Assistant would not be able to start using it, due to a change that Verizon made in March of 2011. However, for certain older phones, a Verizon store could allegedly re-enable Backup Manager. Our phone was on the list, so we had lost our chance to back it up ourselves, but threads said if we found a Verizon store with the right equipment, they could transfer our contacts & re-enable the ability. Wait until you read the next phase of this misadventure!

I called our local Athens, GA Verizon store on Epps Bridge Road and at the prompts, selected the number for technical support. Danika answered and assured me that they could transfer the contacts at the store. I asked if she was sure they have the specific equipment to do so. She insisted that all stores do! I happened to ask to confirm the store hours, and she said I'd have to call the store. Ha! I told her I HAD called the store. She said that I’d called an 800 number. So I realized that even after calling the store number, only some of the prompts really lead to the store. Others lead to a general facility, without saying so. Clear as mud.

So I called the store number AGAIN and chose a prompt for buying something, because that always gets better attention. A guy there had a very different story from Danika. He said that only some stores have the equipment to transfer contacts from older phones, and that they may be able to do it via Bluetooth wireless. He would not tell me whether they could help with my specific phone. So I had to go there to try my luck.

Some other guy who never said his name helped us. He said that the stores used to have technicians for transferring contacts, but that Verizon took away the technicians and the special computers they used. Therefore, the store had no equipment to transfer the contacts. (Incidentally, he was surprised I had the list of phones for which the stores are supposed to be able to re-enable Contact Manager. He had never seen a list.)

In summary, because we never launched Backup Assistant before March 2011 from our two year old Casio GZ'One V phone, the only way to transfer the contacts to any other phone is to find a store in some other city that can still do it. For us, the inability to do it is not as bad as Verizon’s failure to tell us the truth. Having to search this hard for an answer is ABSURD!!! If there were ANY other service with coverage reaching our rural home, I would never use Verizon again!

0 Likes
azfyrfyter

Huge shout out to Mike S. from Verizon. I stumbled across this form to find that there was hope in getting Media Center (Get it Now) instead of my local "Corporate" store telling me that there was nothing they could do. So, I copied the instructions from their own Verizon people and took it back to that store. First, the manager treated me like I just walked with a brick phone (old analog) and looked at me like I was talking in a foreign language when I explained what I needed and showed him the instructions. I waited 20 minutes for help and then the associate read the info, disappeared into the back room and came out 15 mins later to tell me "Sorry, it won't work".

So, I went to the "Not Corporate" store and was greeted by store manager Michael who was very understanding and accommodating. I was helped by Brandon who had not heard of our problem, but he took the instructions and I went to get a mini SD reader at Walmart. When I returned, Brandon told me the phone was done. I asked why the other store couldn't do it and he said it required digging a little deeper than they normally do. I thanked Brandon and Michael and assured them I would be back to their store. So, huge kudos to the Crossroads store in Chandler, AZ and big raspberry to "other guys" at the corporate store.

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello to everyone who is receiving Unable to access catalog (error 3332).

There are some older devices that required a software certification update to retain access to the Media Center catalog. The update would have needed to be updated no later than March 2011. If you didn't update the software prior to March 2011, then you would get the error 3332 when trying to sync contacts using backup assistant. There are a few things we can do to bypass the message:

1. You can take the device to store to have the certificates updated to resolve the issue. You may need to call the nearest store to make sure they have the equipment to flash the phone with the newer software prior to going there
  2. If the device is still under warranty, then we can send a replacement to you that will enable you to sync with backup assistant.
  3. Finally, if you are eligible to upgrade to a newer device (dial #UPG) you can also do that as well.

Thanks for your time!

Tamara H.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
azfyrfyter

Thanks for the update Tamara...but, not very many of the stores have the desire or the intelligence to do the update. I finally printed out the instructions from Mike at VZW and took them to my local store. At the first store the manager with the Italian loafers, slick hair and shirt two sizes to small looked at me like I was speaking Chinese and then the tech tried for about 3 minutes and said he could make it work. When I went to another store (which will get all of my business), the tech had it done in 15 mins. When I asked him why he was able to do it, he said it just took a little more effort to find the certificate needed.

Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:14 PM

To: Daniel Couch

Subject: - Re: Unable to download Backup Assistant_ Error (3332)

created by TamaraH_VZW in Basic Phones - View the full discussion

0 Likes