Re: 4G Service - Still Out Across the Nation?
brandijohn
I am in Ohio as well...just received my 4g phone yesterday...and as all have said...no activation. As of noon EST Thursday 12/29 in Ohio 4g still down....I have a shiny new brick as a phone.
0 Likes
dpjemm

I bought a iPhone4s last night. Still do not have service. They said it's a "critical" situation, and they are working on it. I hope that my 14 day return policy, goes into effect after they fix it. Because, right now I only have a paper weight.

0 Likes
MaximPrimus

Seattle, WA - I just purchased two Droid Bionic phones from Costco on Monday 12/26/2011 for my wife and I.  My phone has had data connectivity problems since I turned it on however my wife's phone has worked fine for the most part.  When I first turned my phone on after receiving it from Costco it was in airplane mode so I turned airplane mode off and waited 20 minutes or so and I couldn't get any data network so I rebooted... no change... then shut down and remove battery... no change.  So I called Verizon (this is within an hour of buying the phone...) and they had me reboot and remove battery and SIM card.. no change... sent me to next tier tech support and they had me repeat the battery / sim card routine and the data connection came up.  It worked fine that evening and I shut the phone off over night to charge... the next morning it booted up into airplane mode again and I turned it off and had no data connection from 6:00 AM to 7:52 AM when data came on after 2 restarts / sim card removals.  It worked intermittently after that and then the next morning the same story.  This morning I haven't had data access at all and it's been on since 6:00 am and it is now 9:40 am and I've shut down and removed battery / sim card 3 times now...

No 3G or 4G data access.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.  I understand that things happen and networks can go down but I only have 14 days to return this and I see that this thread started on 12/7 and people are obviously still having this issue so what am I supposed to do?  Wait until the 14 days are up and possibly be stuck with a $200 / month bill for phones that don't work...  I just terminated my agreement with Sprint because our phones were terrible and the 3G was so slow it was useless and I was tired of paying for something that didn't work. 

My wife's phone dropped the data connection yesterday for the first time so she called Verizon and they told her about this outtage issue.  Her phone had worked fine until yesterday afternoon.  She went through the shut down / sim card routine multiple times and her data never came back on until she turned her phone on this morning...

Now I'm hoping for a solution...  I'm not sure if it's the phone or the network or Batman or Robin or nerd ragers in a bunker somewhere but I would really like for someone to let me know what the problem is and when it will be addressed...  Otherwise I don't have much choice other than to return these phones to Costco, I'm not getting roped into another 2 year contract for service that doesn't work.

0 Likes
dustystarz

I'm in the same boat! I called Verizon earlier this morning 9:30 am EST and they offered to call me once they heard of any fixes.  I received a call back around 10:30 am EST notifying me that there have been fixes applied but they were not sure if it was in my area (Michigan), but have had success with California residents.  Before activating the phone, they provided me the following instructions:

Go to "Settings", click on "General" in Settings and "Reset all content".  After completing that and going through programming the iPhone (accepting iTunes, etc), dial *228 and click 1 to begin activation.  Unfortutantly I have had no luck, but if you are a California resident I hope you find this information helpful. Best of luck!

-Sandra 

Tags: iPhone, iPhone4s, 4g service out, activation issues, network down, December

0 Likes
candj

on the road and experiencing continuous dropped 4G on ENTIRE I-95 corridor from FL to DC yesterday and today. also need to mention Dec 26 afternoon outage that affected 3G in DC metro. fix this please!

0 Likes
MaximPrimus

So based on another posters comments I reset my phone (Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset) and cleared everything, even the SD card.  I now have 3G access for the first time today and it has been working for about 30 minutes now.  I hope this data reset thing isn't a daily routine, that was one of the reasons I was sick of my Sprint phone, I was having to reset it every few days and Sprint acted like that was "normal."  They kept sending me refurbished phones and I kept having problems and was tired of dealing with the same problems and not getting any effort to find a solution.

Resetting annoys me because I have a limited amount of data to use anyway, so if I have to redownload all my apps & updates I'm wasting a lot of data usage downloading the same things repeatedly.

0 Likes
JGouse

That's how I racked up larger-than-usual data usage last cycle.  I bought my BIONIC in the final days of my cycle, so my data usage was already about 1.5 GB.  Then I had to download about 50+ apps to the new phone.  Then I thought my phone was defective since no one at the Verizon store would own up that their 4G network was crippled even after the first outage this month was "fixed", so I had to exchange for a new BIONIC and download all those apps again less than 24 hours later!

Fortunately, I'm grandfathered into the unlimited data package.  Still, for those with a cap, this can be frustrating.

My advice would be to switch over to Wi-Fi and use that to access the Market the next time Verizon throws their "fix-all" factory reset solution at you.

0 Likes
dwg132

ya finally got my phone activeated be just in 3g

0 Likes
MaximPrimus

I would generally download via wifi but it's difficult to test 3G/4G connectivity that way and if it only works on wifi I may as well buy an ipod touch and forget the $200 monthly bill.

0 Likes
no4g

Here in Southern California (Orange County area), I had NO 4G service MOST of the day & NONE in LATE Wednesday hours - kept getting SIM errors (which I thought had been fixed in last update on Friday of last week).

My wife's phone is experiencing same issues...at another location in Irvine, CA. 

Today, the service is spotty at best. I see phone going to 3G and 1x. Tested at several OUTDOOR locations. I attempted to call Verizon and talk to a 2nd tier engineer, but had no luck.

I'm sure Verizon is very busy dealing with 4G issues as well as registration glitches.

It would be NICE for Verizon to put out some type of REAL and FACTUAL announcement regarding the severity of the problem and what they are doing about it. At least this would give folks some feedback.

I would go as far as crediting folks for the MAJOR inconvenience of NOT being able to use their phones.

NO4G

(2) Moto Droid Razr

Irvine, CA

0 Likes