iPhone not showing contacts names in text messaging after sync AND reset
WTW2012

Three days ago, I bought the iPhone 4S as an updgrade from the 3GS. I also transferred my wireless service plan from AT&T to Verizon. Since doing that, very strange things are happening. For example, my contacts appeared to transfer without a problem, but whenever I attempt a call to a number that does not have a "1" stored in front of it, it tells me that I am attempting a long-distance or international call and the call won't go thru unless I place a 1 in front of the number and store it that way. Also, whenever I send text messages and someone replies, their message comes back to my phone under the phone number only and not the name that is stored in my contacts. This happens even when the contact sends a direct message to me that is not a reply. (Imagine all the "Merry Christmas" messages I received yesterday that I have no idea who they were from, except the 5 out of 300 contacts whose numbers I have memorized!!) I have gone to the Apple Store and the "Genius" there reset my phone, which temporarily fixed the problem, but now it is back. I did a soft reset, now it randomly selects which names will show up in my text message window. (For example, yesterday, the name "Jane" shows a message that says "Merry Christmas", but after the reset, only Jane's number shows up in the text screen with the same message from yesterday.)

Does anyone know what in the world is going on?? This is Very Annoying! I'm tempted to go back to AT&T, as I am being told that the iphone technology, even for 4S, is not as compatible on Verizon as it is with AT&T. Please help!  

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone not showing contacts names in text messaging after sync AND reset
thatdecade
Enthusiast - Level 3
Not sure about the random contact name problem. I suspect a bad database. Use iTunes to delete and replace your contacts with a good list. If that doesn't work, do a 100% software reset and don't restore a backup, setup as a new device. Finally, if that fails go back to the apple store. The issue is not software fixable and the unit should be replaced.

The other issue with 1 dialing required... are you roaming? Disable wifi, should say Verizon 3G in the status bar.
When you are off your home area cell network, you are not dealing with Verizon directly.

Edit: your last question about using a Verizon 4S on AT&T's network. You are correct, out of the box the Verizon 4S is locked to only work on Verizon's network. The AT&T 4S and Sprint 4S have the same locks. You can purchase an unlocked iPhone directly from apple. I've also heard of people convincing Sprint customer service to unlock their phones for use out of the country,
0 Likes
Tones

I just made the exact same switch from AT&T 2 days ago and had the same issue with contacts showing up as phonenumbers in my texts.  The solution was to call Verizon Update Service at *228 and dial 1(for update 1), then call back *228 and dial 2 (for update 2).  This fixed about 95% of the IDs in my texts, which are now showing up correctly as the persons name.  

Good luck.

0 Likes
caller ID intermittent on iPhone 4s
Mahoningtown

I have the same problem some of you are having with your iPhone 4s'.  My caller ID is intermittent.  I visited the Huntsville, AL Verizon store on 72 W.  They told me to add a "1" in front of the 256 area code.  But this didn't fix it 100%.  It still does it.   I've never had this problem before on non-Smart phones.  This is the first smart phone and it doesn't seem very "smart."  Can ya help us Verizon?  I don't want to hear that this isn't a "Verizon" help area!!!  If it isn't why did I have to create an ID on this Verizon website?????   And yes, my software is up to date.  Yes, I've reset my iPhone SEVERAL times both in "Reset ALL Settings" and Reset "Network Settings."  Yes I've updated my roaming via *228."  Please help with this problem Verizon. 

Thank you.

0 Likes
Mlicas12
Same problem here. Hold home screen button and lock button on top at the same time til u see apple. You'll see drag icon. Keep holding. After your phone starts up again, *228 that **bleep** and do option one. Works.
0 Likes
Mlicas12
Bleep reall?
0 Likes
Mlicas12
For real? 95%? Get on my level. Hold those two buttons, til apple shows. Star228, done
0 Likes
ronbuckles

I found one solution. Mine started doing this last week on a trip to NYC. I had added contacts from a map lookup that include the "+ 1" plus area code and number. None of my other contacts had included the "+1". It seems as soon as I did that, it made all the rest of the contact numbers not usable. I removed all the new "+1" telephone numbers and turned off all apps and did the *228 option 1 reboot like above and everything went back to normal. Good luck folks...

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

thatdecade wrote:

. I've also heard of people convincing Sprint customer service to unlock their phones for use out of the country,

This can be done with Verizon also, but it is not to be confused with an unlocked iPhone 4s (such as the ones you can purchase from Apple unlocked...and will only work on GSM networks). The unlock that Verizon and Sprint will do is only a  sim unlock which will allow you to use foreign sim cards in your device while traveling abroad but will not allow you to use domestic GSM sim cards (such as AT&T and T-Mobile). Just wanted to clear that up...

0 Likes
ronbuckles

Mine is still locked and probable will remain that way. This just gives us a hint to why it doing strange things. Ron

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes