Computer doesn't recognize that phone usb is plugged in..can't get pictures off phone!
kraziant

I have tons of pictures on my phone that I want to put on my computer and I was able to do it once within the first week of getting my phone. Now every time I try it the computer is not recognizing the usb no matter how many times I mount it on my phone. What is going on??

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Computer doesn't recognize that phone usb is plugged in..can't get pictures off phone!
ghartz

Which phone are you using?  I have the HTC Incredible.  When I plug it in the phone prompts me to "mount the sd card" or use it as an external drive.

If I miss the pop up notice, then I can either mount the card through the status bar at the top of the phone's screen or through the settings menu.

Once mounted, I am able to view the phones memory card though windows explorer.  

0 Likes
Re: Computer doesn't recognize that phone usb is plugged in..can't get pictures off phone!
AZSALUKI
Legend

he or she is on the moto droid.....but yeah....should be about the same. somewhere in your phones settings you should be able to direct it to act as a "disk" or external hard drive. i believe some phones have to be told to do this BEFORE you just plug in the usb?

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

go into "settings" and see if you have a "connect to pc" option.

0 Likes
barrnone

If anyone is still having this problem (and I'm sure that's the case since I just had it!), I found this fix, which doesn't involve installing or rebooting anything.

While your device is plugged into the PC, on the PC right click on my computer, go to properties then choose device manager.  Open up Universal Serial Bus Controllers and you will likely see an error icon on at least one of them.  On those, right click and hit disable, then when it's done right click again and hit enable.  When you get to the one that correspondes to the port your phone is plugged into, it should reset and perhaps install drivers.  Now it will recognize the phone as a USB device.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
bobphrapples1414

Ugh, this took me two days to figure out ... I'm already bald so I didn't have any hair to pull out but I tried!

So I messed something up and my computer stopped recognizing my droid 4. I found an article about setting up your phone for usb and it mentioned going to System Settings->Storage->USB computer connection. So on my phone that is the 3 lines button on the bottom left of the phone's face, aka Menu Button, then select System Settings. Then scroll down to the DEVICE section and select Storage. Then hit the 3 lines button (Menu Button) while in Storage and it pops up with USB computer connection at the bottom. After selecting that, I then select Media device (MTP) but I could've selected Mass Storage or Camera if I felt brave Smiley Happy

Worked for me, hope this helps someone else.

0 Likes