Re: Phone storage space is getting low - NO it's not.
brian77
I had the same problem drove me nuts , I did extensive research n ill tell u don't waste ur time clearing data in ur apps . The only fix is to make sure ur contacts r backed up n do a factory reset u will not loose pix after u do factory reset it will download new update n no more low phone space message , getting ur contacts back r simple go to accounts sync n sync ur backup it loads all ur previous contacts , then go to market n it will have all ur old apps , took me 10 min to do all this n well worth it cuss I tried everything else , best thing I don't have to buy a new phone
0 Likes
AuD2b3

I've been dealing with the "low storage space" issue for a few months now. Like many of you, I've been hesitant to do the hard reset because I don't really see how that would fix the problem. Seems like a reset would clear everything, but the phone would still be vulnerable to the same issue some time down the road. 

For quite a while, I've been dealing with the issue by uninstalling updates to apps like Facebook, Gmail, GMaps, Adobe Flash, and Amazon mp3. Doing so does get rid of the low storage message on my phone, but of course then I'm constantly bombarded with the message telling me to update my apps. Not to mention that I am stuck using outdated versions of some of the most used apps on my phone! This is definitely not a perfect solution so I returned to the blogs for another approach. 

Oh, I should say that I'm stuck on the 4.06 build. I periodically get prompted to install some updates (presumably build 4.08) but it never actually goes through the reset process. I click install and nothing happens! Nice huh? 

So I just ran through the process described earlier in this thread of rebooting, going through recovery, clearing cache, and rebooting again. This process did NOT remove the low storage message on my phone. Shortly after the reboot, I got the install updates message. This time, clicking on the message took me through some install process and rebooted the phone. But, once I got back to the home screen it told me I didn't have enough memory!! ARG!!! So now I'm back to square one. I've uninstalled updates to my main apps to clear the low storage space warning and am waiting for the install updates message again. If I don't get it, I'll try going through the hard clear cache steps and try again. Love Verizon. Love the flexibility of Android. But the serious lack of tech support is pushing me towards the iPhone. Hate to say it! But problems like this shouldn't happen for so long on phones that cost this much.  

0 Likes
wesner0019

I've also tried the above recovery steps but found that in order for the update to install I first had to clear the data for Facebook through manage applications. After clearing the data I performed the reovery steps and then the 4.08 update installed. Yeah!

0 Likes
bbqgriller
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I have gotten it to reboot, however, it says I do not have enough space for the 4.08 update?

I have deleted one app to make room for the 8.6 MB file and still can not get it to install correctly. It just stays on the "Rebooting Now ..."  Screen. I have tried the change the date trick 4 times and I continue to have the same freeze up issue once it counts down to reboot.

Any more tricks? I am getting tired of having so many simple issues with a phone I paid so much for.

nell0712

I have had this message of phone storage low for quite a while now too.  I deleted a lot of texts recently and that stopped the storage message for a while.  I also deleted my adobe files (open the internet > menu > more > downloads, and you can select and delete from there).  That helped for a while as well.

For the past week I've had the low storage message & the phone said it was preventing me from downloading the 4.08 update.  So, I did the same recovery steps outlined above and but the message continued. 

As mentioned, I had to clear data through Settings > Applications > Manage Applications.  I picked facebook, twitter, and some others I thought may have a lot.  Then I went through the recovery steps.  Once the phone restarted I didn't get a chance to get to the step of advancing the date one month.  The system was already prompting me to install the update.  My phone then froze at the restart.  I opened the back, took out the battery, then put it back in.  I restarted the phone and seem to be all set now with the new 4.08 update.  I am so thankful for the help from these posts!

0 Likes
whitneyc

I have been having this issue for a few months now. I have gone to the store for a hard reset and it worked for a week then the message came back. I deleted all of my apps and pictures and it worked for a week then the message came back. So I have been constantly deleting texts, history, forcing close apps and restarting my phone just to receive texts. My emails are no longer connected to my phone, my Google map freezes up and my phone just shuts down whenever it wants to. I have had the phone for a year and a half so it is out of warranty, but there is good news if you are like me and for some reason did not sign up for insurance. Verizon is having open enrollment for their equipment protection plan until April 30th 2012, and there isn't a waiting period. I just signed up because otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford a new smartphone right now. I wanted to share the news in case anyone is like me. Hope it helps!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

whitneyc wrote:

... there is good news if you are like me and for some reason did not sign up for insurance. Verizon is having open enrollment for their equipment protection plan until April 30th 2012, and there isn't a waiting period. I just signed up because otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford a new smartphone right now. I wanted to share the news in case anyone is like me. Hope it helps!

Wow--I didn't think you could grab the insurance if you didn't sign up within 30 days of getting your new phone...

http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=openenroll  Looks like you can, though it does say you MAY be eligible... I didn't follow through to the end to see what the conditions were.

0 Likes
whitneyc

The Droid Incredible is eligible! I just called and signed up. Normally you cannot sign up after 30 days but they are running a special.

0 Likes
millerk1971

So you are saying if we have INSURANCE on the phone, we can get a different phone? (i don't want another incredible -that isn't so incredible)  I pay for insurance monthly anyway.  I just did the hard reset and tried to back up all my photos, messages, contacts etc.  Having issues getting the phone set back up with my email and FINDING all my stuff again.  This is not the first time.  I'm tired of this low on space error.  AND I wasn't getting any texts or emails because it said I was low on space.  BUT - couldn't find where I was.  SICK of uninstalling things, erasing, getting rid of stuff every other day.  It's all on my SD card anyway.  I don't understand and it's TOTALLY FRUSTRATING.  Can  you explain what this special is - what kind of deal did you get on the new phone?  Thanks

0 Likes
RexManteca
Enthusiast - Level 1

beware the insurance route.  I purchased insurance on my daughters motorola razr.  When she broke her phone getting a replacement cost me an additional $90 and she was sent a referb that died in less than six months. I'll never purchase insurance on another cel phone again.

0 Likes