4g usb modem Vs Tethering or hotspot with a phone
koreyh1994

I have pantech usb modem right now and im happy with it but we are switching all our cell phones over to verizon and i want to change my data plan and use a phone to have a personal hotspot or tether is there a difference in speed or is it the same?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4g usb modem Vs Tethering or hotspot with a phone
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you're in a weaker signal area, the Pantech will be faster since it has a stronger antenna, particularly on the upload.  Plus, you can connect an external antenna to the Pantech, if needed, to boost speeds. However, in a strong signal area, your phone should be comparable in speeds.  At least this is what I've experienced with the UML290 vs. Thunderbolt.

0 Likes
koreyh1994

Ok im a truck driver say the pantech has 2 bars of 3g and the phone has the same will the speeds be the same download side i hardly ever upload anyways

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

koreyh1994 wrote:

Ok im a truck driver say the pantech has 2 bars of 3g and the phone has the same will the speeds be the same download side i hardly ever upload anyways

I've never tried the Pantech in a mobile environment, but at my house, the DL speeds are about the same for the Pantech and Thunderbolt when both have the same signal. I'm in a weaker signal area.

0 Likes