4G SIM Card???
jes583

Once you actiavte a 4g sim card, then deactivate it. Can you activate the same one again or do you have to get a whole new one?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: 4G SIM Card???
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi jes583,

There are different scenarios with SIM cards; sometimes the card can be used again and other times it would need to be replaced. Below are some scenarios that will help answer this question for you, as well as other users of 4G devices. 

If:

You already have a 4G device and change your phone number

Then:

The SIM card remains active and does not need to be replaced

If:

You change from a 4G device to a 3G device

Then:

The 4G SIM card retires at midnight. 

• original 4G SIM can be re-used with the same MDN (Mobile Directory Number)if the technology change back to 4G is processed prior to 12:00 a.m. ET of the day the 3G change was initially completed.
  • After 12:00 a.m. ET, a new 4G SIM is required in order for the line to go back to 4G.  

If:

You have a 3G device and you change to a 4G device and get a different phone number

Then:

The 4G SIM card remains active on existing number when swapped into a different device

• if 4G SIM types are the same, the original 4G SIMs may be used with other 4G Verizon Wireless devices.
  • if 4G SIM types are different, the 4G SIMs are not interchangeable. A new 4G SIM for each MDN is required. 

If:

You port out your service to another 

Then:

The 4G SIM card retires at 12:00 a.m. ET (Midnight)

• original 4G SIM can be re-used with the MDN if the port out disconnect is reversed prior to 12:00 a.m. ET of the day the port out was initially completed.
  • after 12:00 a.m. ET, a new 4G SIM is required. 

If:

You port in from another carrier

Then:

A new Verizon Wireless 4G SIM is always required.

I hope this information helps you and other users of 4G devices. Have a good day!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It must be different for business customers. I heard of a business customers constantly re-activating 4G LTE SIM cards after the original number has been recycled or changed to a different device. Sometimes months after the device has been deactivated. They are not sending 4G LTE SIM cards out to the field personnel.

Just some conflicting information I have heard.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kchoadley

"If:

You already have a 4G device and change your phone number

Then:

The SIM card remains active and does not need to be replaced"

I just want to clarify something with this changing a phone number on a 4g sim. My girlfriend and I are on the same family plan and I am the account holder. I am planning to get a 4g phone in the near future, but the phone on my plan that can upgrade is my girlfriend's line and I was told I cannot use that upgrade for my line. So what I am planning to do is get the upgrade on her line so I can get a new phone.

My question is this:

A)Would it be possible for me to order it via telesales and then just activate the new phone on my line instead of hers?

B)If not, would it be possible to activate the new 4g phone on her line, then switch our phone numbers?

C)If we cannot simply "switch" phone numbers, would it be possible for me to (after I get the phone) order a new 4g sim that will activate the phone on my line instead?

Plan D) If all else fails we'll just switch numbers, but I'd hate for it to come to that and to deal with the hassle of telling everyone I have a different number...

0 Likes