Re: Kin Twom screen problems/rebooting?
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

vgw wrote:

My Kin Twom freezes up a lot and is very slow to resond at times.  Per Verizon Customer Service, I have upgraded the software and I even turn the phone on/off once a week but none of this is working.  I really like the phone features (except for the volume buttons) but I think this phone is going to die soon.  Any ideas what I should be doing?

Hello vgw!

Let's hope we can save your phone before it tries to kill over!  I would like to offer a few troubleshooting suggestions and see if we can get your device working properly.

First, I would like to suggest removing and reinserting the battery.  Lastly, I would suggest resetting the device.  Before performing this step, ensure your data is backed up.  This will refresh the onboard memory and will remove any corrupt files or applications that may be causing the freezing.

Please let me know how this works out for you.

0 Likes
vgw

Hi, I have removed the battery several times.  I have had to do this because the only way to get my phone operating after it freezes is to remove it.  I am not sure how to backup my data though.  Is this done through the PC?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Vgw, you can backup media like pictures, videos, music, etc to your computer using Zune. If you have a hotmail email on your phone, then that will also backup contacts. Login into your hotmail account on your computer to verify your contacts are saved there. 

0 Likes
iforgot228

I started having the same problems with my Kin twom. First the screen would turn off whenever I opened the phone and then it just started not working at all. My fiance found that he can get it to work if he hold the keyboard open a certain way like there is a short in it or something but it doesn't last long before it turns off again. I activated one of my old phones because I needed one until I could get to Verizon to get it fixed. Is it possible to get a replacement without going to the Verizon store since everyone seems to be having the same problem? I was not happy with the phone anyway it was definatly not what I was expecting for the price I paid. I do need it replace because my old phone doesn't work well either but is not under warranty like my Kin.

0 Likes
paulizio

My phone has also been having problems with the screen and today, after charging overnight, it simply went blank and I cannot get it to boot up, even after removing and replacing the battery. How do I get it fixed -- I have had this phone for less than a year.

Paul

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

iforgot228 wrote:

I started having the same problems with my Kin twom. First the screen would turn off whenever I opened the phone and then it just started not working at all. My fiance found that he can get it to work if he hold the keyboard open a certain way like there is a short in it or something but it doesn't last long before it turns off again. I activated one of my old phones because I needed one until I could get to Verizon to get it fixed. Is it possible to get a replacement without going to the Verizon store since everyone seems to be having the same problem? I was not happy with the phone anyway it was definatly not what I was expecting for the price I paid. I do need it replace because my old phone doesn't work well either but is not under warranty like my Kin.

iforgot228,

I understand your desire to be able to get a replacement device without making a trip to a store.  I would be glad to help.  Please reply to my direct message with the requested information so I can further assist.

0 Likes
jgleusner

My Kin was working fine one day, then the next the screen would go extremly dim at random times. It has gotten proggresively worse so that now it is completley black except when slightly slid open. Help!

0 Likes
ujnam

Hi

I am having the same problem with KIN twom...my screen goes blank when i slide the phone..i cannot text anymore as it doesn't has any virtual keypad....i would be really grateful if you could help me

Thnx!!

0 Likes
ujnam

Hi

I am having the same problem with KIN twom...my screen goes blank when i slide the phone..i cannot text anymore as it doesn't has any virtual keypad....i would be really grateful if you could help me

Thnx!!

0 Likes
GrayBison
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, the "comparable" (VZW's unilateral decision) replacement phone for my Kin twom which died under warranty is a very basic PanTech Jest (not even a Jest 2). No touch screen, no wi-fi, no hi-res camera, no FM radio, no Zune, no 6GB of user storage, etc. Hence, not comparable. VZW customer service reps (both on the phone or in the store, even with requested supervisor intervention) will not provide an upgrade option for the lost earned device upgrade credit, either. The only option they will provide is for me to purchase a smartphone from VZW at retail prices, which I find unacceptable, as it smacks of the illegal practice called "bait and switch." The last VZW rep was kind enough to suggest that I try to find a comparable phone to purchase at a reasonable price on eBay. Tomorrow, I write both the FCC and my state's attorney general and file a formal complaint. If this practice of "bait and switch" is pervasive, there may be grounds for a class action lawsuit in Federal court 

0 Likes