Texting over wifi
ahooah48444
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am looking for an app that I can text over wifi. I work in Canada and get data roaming charges. I turn off the mobile web prior to crossing and turn on wifi when I get to work. Is there an app that I can use to text over wifi? I am also getting a kindle fire that only uses wifi, so I would like to put it on there as well.

0 Likes
Re: Texting over wifi
rcschnoor
Legend

Texting does not count as "data" and therefore does not utilize your data plan.

I am not sure how you would be charged for texting from Canada to the US, as Verizon's international page is not very clear about it

"While traveling in the U.S.,Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico text messages sent to non-U.S. phone numbers of participating carriers will not be applied against any monthly text messaging allowance and are charged the following:

• $0.25/address sent
  • $0.20/message received

Text messages sent TO PHONE NUMBERS IN CANADA, Mexico and Puerto Rico are charged domestic rates per your plan."

If you text from Canada to a Canadian #, you are just charged the same as a domestic text, but it is not very clear about texting from Canada to a US number. I am guessing that it may just count as a domestic text, but I may be wrong.

I would call CS at *611 to confirm. Additionally, I would try limited texting in your 1st billing cycle until you are confident that you are not being charged anything additional.

0 Likes
ahooah48444
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I am trying to do is get the phone to text over wifi so I can leave it in airplane mode. I have teh data roaming box unchecked and mobile web turned off. For some reason I am getting hit with data roaming charges. I am not getting charged for texts while in Canada, but getting data charges for some reason and verizon can't tell me why other than I am using data. Hello...........data roaming is off and so is mobile web.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

ahooah48444 wrote:

What I am trying to do is get the phone to text over wifi so I can leave it in airplane mode. I have teh data roaming box unchecked and mobile web turned off. For some reason I am getting hit with data roaming charges. I am not getting charged for texts while in Canada, but getting data charges for some reason and verizon can't tell me why other than I am using data. Hello...........data roaming is off and so is mobile web.

In this case, you will most likely have to search for an instant messaging app, as the texting feature utilizes the cellular network.

Some suggestions are TiKL, eBuddy, Google+, Skype, etc... which should all work over wifi.

StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

rcschnoor wrote:

ahooah48444 wrote:

In this case, you will most likely have to search for an instant messaging app, as the texting feature utilizes the cellular network.

Some suggestions are TiKL, eBuddy, Google+, Skype, etc... which should all work over wifi.

Hey,

Just to add to this, you may want to check out Google Talk.  You can instant message over a WiFi and with most Android phones, use your front facing camera to Video chat with someone.  Hope this helps.

Doc

0 Likes