No Contract 4S
Anabella

Hi, I bought an Iphone 4S No Contract at Target from Verizon (full price of course), the seller told me that as it is a "world phone" it will work anywhere in the world with any international SIM, now I am in south america and it doesn't work with my local SIM, how can I make it work?

thanks for the help!

Ana

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: No Contract 4S
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Anabella wrote:

Hi, I bought an Iphone 4S No Contract at Target from Verizon (full price of course), the seller told me that as it is a "world phone" it will work anywhere in the world with any international SIM, now I am in south america and it doesn't work with my local SIM, how can I make it work?

thanks for the help!

Ana

Did you have the sim unlocked via Verizon? If I'm not mistaken you have to do this first in order to use a non VZW sim.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

i dont think vzw will unlock it unless you have an account with them thats been active for 90 days

0 Likes
Anabella

I didn't have it unlocked as nobody told me to do that, how do I sign for an account from south america?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You should be able to do that from the website, but that isn't going to help you right now, as VZW will not unlock the phone so that you can use a local sim card until the account has been active on VZW for 60 days.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Anabella wrote:

I didn't have it unlocked as nobody told me to do that, how do I sign for an account from south america?

and this is one of the issues when you do not buy from vzw

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Wait...so you're saying you bought the phone at Target but didn't have it actually activated? If you don't have a US address then I don't think you would be able to get it activated with VZW anyway...if this is what you did it looks like what you wanted was an unlocked device that you could use on another network altogether...which wasn't available until somet time in November according to the Apple site. An unlocked device is different than an unlocked sim. Maybe I'm wrong...I've never had to do it before but that's my understanding.

0 Likes
Anabella

Yes, that's exactly what I have, a 4S bought at a florida Target that doesnt work, tried to activate at vrz.com/activate but it tells me that my ESN is wrong and to return to the store (I am 5000 miles, 8 hours flight from the store), so now I have a nice 8megapixels camera :smileyhappy: 

Ana

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You could try to sell it and then purchase one from the Apple site that is unlocked...just make sure that you find out you can use it in the manner that you want before buying. You can also try contacting VZW to see if there is anything that can be done about the one you have...not sure if you will get any resolution that way but it can't hurt to find out.

0 Likes