M2M and texting
stealthpiper

Bear with me - I am old. I use my cell to make calls only. However my grandson has come to live with us and uses text messaging. I am trying to keep up with what he is doing.

What does M2M mean? - I assume it means mobile to mobile which I  futher assume the expanded meaning is Verizon mobile to Verizon mobile. For all I know it could mean Mickey 2 Minnie.

On his cell # text usage report I see where he has sent 157 msgs and received 157 msgs. Futher down in the report I see M2M  sent 63 rcvd 69. So he sent 157 msgs of which 63 were sent M2M. Can I then assume the other 94 msgs were sent to other wireless company customers? What differance does it make?

Also, one other dumb question - texting is only possible from one mobile phone to another - is that right.

Thanks for your help

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: M2M and texting
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

stealthpiper wrote:

What does M2M mean? - I assume it means mobile to mobile which I  futher assume the expanded meaning is Verizon mobile to Verizon mobile.  This is correct

On his cell # text usage report I see where he has sent 157 msgs and received 157 msgs. Futher down in the report I see M2M  sent 63 rcvd 69. So he sent 157 msgs of which 63 were sent M2M. Can I then assume the other 94 msgs were sent to other wireless company customers? What differance does it make?  The 157 sent and  157 received are out of network, non-Verizon texting.  The M2M are Verizon to Verizon (above the 157 - total texts are all the numbers added together).  Depending on your (his)  texting plan, ALL messages count towards his allowance, or ONLY out of network, or he may have UNLIMITED, in which case the numbers don't really mean anything.  They are there for those plans where it DOES matter.

Also, one other dumb question - texting is only possible from one mobile phone to another - is that right.  No, you can send a text message to an email address too.  And you can send  text messages from email to a phone, or from your computer via vtext.com.

Thanks for your help

I hope I haven't hopelessly confused you -

0 Likes
Re: M2M and texting
stealthpiper

Thanks so much for your help. We do have unlimited texting so their was not a problem - I was just curious.

Thanks again.

0 Likes