Delayed Text Messages?
haywars

Hello, I have a iPhone 4, not S, recentlly when I text/imessage people I could have full service but my text/imessage would fail and I would have to try and resend it.

Also sometimes the recipent of my messages would recieve my texts normally and at other times would recieve them hours after I sent them. This happens to people across ALL carriers including Verizon. I went into a Verizon store locally and the woman informed me that it could be a iOS issue and that I should downgrade to 4.3 and reupgrade back to iOS5. [I am not really too sure about her advice as she didnt even realize that iOS5 was the latest OS and even then so she told me that the iPhone 4 should not be on iOS5]

Any information would be great. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Delayed Text Messages?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The advice given was odd at best since Apple does not support iOS downgrading. There are ways that some say they have been able to do so but it's not "official" and might involve practices that aren't supported by Apple or the warranty. You could try dialing *228 and choosing option 2 to see if that helps. Also, resetting or restoring your iPhone might help. It's also possible that those receiving delayed messages might be the ones with the issue on their end...you said it's across the board so maybe not. I know I have friends that use T-Mobile and AT&T and they have issues with receiving messages late from me and others but this has occurred long before I got the iPhone (mostly with T-Mobile users and it happens both ways...I also receive late messages from them).

0 Likes
haywars

kaebfly wrote:

The advice given was odd at best since Apple does not support iOS downgrading. There are ways that some say they have been able to do so but it's not "official" and might involve practices that aren't supported by Apple or the warranty. You could try dialing *228 and choosing option 2 to see if that helps. Also, resetting or restoring your iPhone might help. It's also possible that those receiving delayed messages might be the ones with the issue on their end...you said it's across the board so maybe not. I know I have friends that use T-Mobile and AT&T and they have issues with receiving messages late from me and others but this has occurred long before I got the iPhone (mostly with T-Mobile users and it happens both ways...I also receive late messages from them).

Thanks for the reply, I tried restoring my phone but still results in the text message error. My friends told me that I am the only one they have the delayed text issue with. My roommate has the Verizon Thunderbolt so I did a couple of tests with him, and I seen first hand how delayed my texts are I sent him a total of 4 texts last night. He received two immediately. The other two messages came in 5 hours later although on my phone these messages displayed as if they were out, I am recieving reports from friends with iPhones on different carriers are also recieving my iMessages late as well. Im having a hard time figuring out if its a tower delay or if its my actual phone having these issues as I have never had a problem with it until two weeks ago but now it has progressed to where i have full service and have issues just sending out a text. 

I dont think i have coverage on my phone with Verizon as I purchased my phone from an Apple store and put Apple Care on it since they claimed it protected the phone more then Verizons on service would. Should I just go replace my iPhone? 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

haywars wrote:

kaebfly wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I tried restoring my phone but still results in the text message error. My friends told me that I am the only one they have the delayed text issue with. My roommate has the Verizon Thunderbolt so I did a couple of tests with him, and I seen first hand how delayed my texts are I sent him a total of 4 texts last night. He received two immediately. The other two messages came in 5 hours later although on my phone these messages displayed as if they were out, I am recieving reports from friends with iPhones on different carriers are also recieving my iMessages late as well. Im having a hard time figuring out if its a tower delay or if its my actual phone having these issues as I have never had a problem with it until two weeks ago but now it has progressed to where i have full service and have issues just sending out a text. 

I dont think i have coverage on my phone with Verizon as I purchased my phone from an Apple store and put Apple Care on it since they claimed it protected the phone more then Verizons on service would. Should I just go replace my iPhone? 

You should go to the Apple store and have the Genuis bar look at it...if it's a device issue they will replace it. Do you get delayed texts from your roommate? Also, not sure if you mentioned it but did you try dialing *228 to see if that helps?

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

kaebfly wrote:

haywars wrote:

kaebfly wrote:

You should go to the Apple store and have the Genuis bar look at it...if it's a device issue they will replace it. Do you get delayed texts from your roommate? Also, not sure if you mentioned it but did you try dialing *228 to see if that helps?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions !

haywars, I know how important it is to be able to send and receive text messages in a timely manner!  I am happy to assist.

I would like to include a great troubleshooting link provided by the manufacturer themselves here.

After completing these steps, please let us know if you're still experiencing issues with delayed texts.

0 Likes