Re: Upload speeds extremely slow (<500k) While download is fine (>10mb/s)
Not applicable

Mvgarner, thanks for replying and I'm sorry to hear that your issue wasn't addressed. When you are uploading data, is you phone still showing 4G or does it switch to 3G or 1X? It seems like your speeds were similar to 1X for uploads. It sounds like you have good signal and all settings are correct if the downloads and browsing internet seems to be matching advertised speeds. We may need to submit a trouble ticket to our network team to see if there are any issues with uploads on that one particular tower since you said it's working in other areas. I will send you a PM requesting more detail. 

0 Likes
mvgarner
Enthusiast - Level 2

To figure out the signal strength, I goto settings, about phone, network,  It gives a signal strength and under "Mobile network type" it says LTE.

I am not sure if there is another way to truely get an accurate signal strength, since the phone obviously is connected to both LTE and 1x at the same time.

0 Likes
semcity

There is no way to check the LTE signal strength on the phone. The signal bar is only for voice, but not for data. There is an app that will tell you 3g signal strength, but not for LTE. If you have a very low upload speed and it's like stopping waiting then jumping to the end, that means the LTE signal is verylow. Try to move a couple of blocks a way and try the speed test and see if an upload speed will be better.

0 Likes
KWI

I have been experiencing some of the same problems in the Austin, TX area.  For me, it seems that the problem is much worse when you use the Internet from within certain types of buildings.

For example, outside my office building, I may get download speeds of 10 to 15 Mbps, and upload speeds of 3 to 6 Mbps.  Trying the same test from my work area inside the building (whether directly on the phone or tethered), I still get decent download speeds of 3 to 6 Mbps.  However, the upload speeds struggle at this point to stay about .5 Mbps.  (At best, under these conditions, they may reach 1.2 Mbps.)

Unfortunately, these symptoms are not limited to large office buildings.  I have noticed a similar pattern from within certain restaurants and stores within the area.  Indeed, within the past hour from my house, I was able to get about 17 Mbps downloading, but was limited to about 1 Mbps +/- .5 Mbps uploading.

BY STARK CONTRAST, when I am in the Houston area, I have no problem inside or outside of buildings, homes, etc., getting at least 4 to 5 Mbps when uploading.  In fact, in some parts of Houston, I have found the upload speeds to be quite typically >= 8 Mbps.

Perhaps it is a power issue at the tower level.

0 Likes
Paul77
Contributor - Level 1
Test Date: Oct 7, 2011 10:39:39 pm
Connection Type: Lte
Server: Radnor, OH
Download: 4.61 Mbps
Upload: 0.70 Mbps
Ping: 137 ms

So i'm not the only one.
0 Likes
whitet1020

I suspect Verizon has added throttling software to the 4G phones.  I was at a Verizon store last week that was in just a 3G area and tried speed tests with my DRIOD X, my wife's iPhone 4S, and a Droid Bionic.

While all phones had comparable download speeds of 750 kb the upload speed of the Bionic was 250 kb in 3G mode while the other two 3G phones had 750 kb upload speeds as expected.  I ran the test multiple times and the upload speed on the Bionic remained consistent.

BTW - ping results were also unexpected.  iPhone and Droid X where in the70-80 ms range while Droid Bionic was at 125-130 ms range.

These results really deflated my desire to upgrade!!!

0 Likes