Error message WMC604 in VZAM when trying to connect to 4G using Novatel USB551L.
Inst_Tech

VZAM recognizes the modem, and attempts to connect to 4G. After about 10 seconds, a message appears,"Error WMC604, Device could not establish a connection". (I have no problem connecting to 3G, just 4G)

One clue: If I have "Control Panel>Network Connections>Novotel 551L open when I try to connect, I can watch (if I am connecting to 3G) the modem aquire an IP address and connect. If I am connecting to 4G, there is no such activity shown on Control Panel>Network Connections>Novatel 551L modem. It just does nothing until the error message appears in VZAM. It's as if VZAM is not communicating with the modem although during this time VZAM displays a message "connecting".

I have created a dial-up connection in Windows 7 according to the Verizon knowledge base article ID=29355 just so I could use 4G, and the modem connects and works just fine. I just wish I get it to connect to 4G using VZAM.

I am using VZAM version v7.6.3.1(2642f) and one of the things that VZ tech support suggested was replace the SIM card, but that didn't make any difference. I am using Dell XPS 8300 desktop running Win 7 Home Premium,SP1 currently, although problem is the same on my Dell 5160 laptop running Win XP, SP3.

Hoping someone here on this board can help. I have spent hours on the phone with Verizon tech support and they say they have never heard of this error, and have no clue how to make it go away. In checking Google, I see that it is in fact a fairly common error in VZAM, but no one seems to know how to fix it......Verizon reps on the board feel free to come to my rescue?

HELP!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Error message WMC604 in VZAM when trying to connect to 4G using Novatel USB551L.
Not applicable

Inst_Tech,

Good afternoon!

The WMC604 error is a Windows Device Manager conflict. In Windows 7, go to "Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Device Manager and check for any conflicts. If you see any hazard icons or exclamation icons, right click and update drivers. This should fix the issue.

Please advise any further issues with this error.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Error message WMC604 in VZAM when trying to connect to 4G using Novatel USB551L.
Inst_Tech

AdamE_VZW

Thank you for your reply. I checked Device Manager for conflicts and see none. I opened VZAM and Device Manager>Novatel Modem side-by-side on the screen and attemped to connect to 4G using VZAM while watching Device Manager for conflicts. There were none indicated when the WMC604 error appeared in VZAM. According to Device Manager, my Novatel modem driver is version 1.1.12.0 ; dated 12/8/10. The "update driver" button is grayed out so I don't know how to check for a newer version. This version is the one that came on the VZAM install CD I belive.

Some background about this problem: When I first got this modem and installed the software, it worked as it should. It came up in Global mode and connected to a weak 4G signal that was comming from the Portland OR airport. Because the signal was weak and un-reliable, the modem would constantly shift back to 3G, and then every few minutes back to 4G, over and over. I got tired of putting up with the constant hunting, and, using the diagnostic screen, locked it into EVDO mode until 4G went live in Portland OR in the middle of June. During the time it was in EVDO (3G) mode, I had no problem connecting to 3G using VZAM. When Portland went live, I locked it back to LTE mode, and that was when I discovered the error WMC604 message. This was using my previous computer, a Dell Dimension 4500 desktop, Win XP,SP3, and an external Wilson log-periodic tri-band antenna.  Since Portland went live, my current RSSI for 4G runs around -68db, and SINR varies between -9 to -12 db.

I recently got my present computer, a Dell XPS-8300 desktop, Core i7, Win 7 Home Premium, SP1. I did a fresh install of VZAM on this new computer using the CD that came with the USB551L modem and then checked online (using 3G) for VZAM updates. It says I have the latest version.  The problem is exactly the same on the new computer as it was on my other 2 computers. That tells me that the problem must lie with the modem firmware or hardware, because the problem follows the modem, no matter what computer it is hooked up to. I even took it back to the Verizon store where I got it and they hooked it up to one of their computers and got the same error message when trying to connect to 4G. 3G worked properly

As I mentioned before, the modem instantly connects to 4G using the Win 7 dial-up connection I created and gives pretty good speeds, about 10MB down and 4-5MB up, according to SpeedCheck.com.

I can use it the way it is, it is just frustrating that it won't work using VZAM.

Thank you for your attention and help,

Inst_Tech

0 Likes
RPK

Just to add fuel to the fire, we have 20 of these modems and one of them has the same exact issue. We've replaced the SIM and it has been tested in 3 different computers and it has been hit or miss whether it's going to connect or give back a WMC604 error. I'm at the point that I'm going to have Verizon completely replace the device.

Regards,

Richard

0 Likes
dcapo

I have 13 of these for work after experiencing issues with mine a took 4 home with me and had my wife use on and I would use one. Sitting right next to each other some times her would connect to 4g and mine would not and other times mine would and hers could not. We would try using all four with similar results. All the time I would have my thunderbolt right next to me using speedtest.net and getting consistent 4g fluctuating between 10 and 14 Mbps. I have had these devices for less than 4 months and plan on working with my rep to replace these with a 4g MIFI. I will update with my progress.

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

dcapo wrote:

I have 13 of these for work after experiencing issues with mine a took 4 home with me and had my wife use on and I would use one. Sitting right next to each other some times her would connect to 4g and mine would not and other times mine would and hers could not. We would try using all four with similar results. All the time I would have my thunderbolt right next to me using speedtest.net and getting consistent 4g fluctuating between 10 and 14 Mbps. I have had these devices for less than 4 months and plan on working with my rep to replace these with a 4g MIFI. I will update with my progress.

Thanks for posting dcapo!

I am happy to assist.  I see you have tried a number of troubleshooting steps to try and resolve the issue.  This has been lifted up to our Product Support Team and they are working diligently to provide a permanent fix, however, as a workaround it is suggested to wait 30 seconds to a minute before clicking "Connect" when using VZAccess manager to connect.  This should eliminate getting the WMC errors and disconnecting.

Please let me know if this works out for you.

0 Likes
djm2731

I am also experiencing this error with the USB551L.  When it first tried to connect, it gave me a SIM error.  I called customer support and was instructed to remove the SIM and reinsert it.  This let me connect one time, but then I could not get into the browser.  It appeared like I lost the connection after it had been connected.  I have tried removing/reinserting the SIM again, turned off the internal wireless on the laptop and only show the Verizon Wireless device in the VZ Access Manager, and shut down laptop  and did a restart.  Nothing seems to be working.

0 Likes
Not applicable

djm2731,

Good morning!  I want to thank the community members here for their patience and assistance with the connectivity concerns on the USB551L. I'm glad to say there is a new software update that will improve connectivity and stability among other things! Please visit the USB551L support page for download instructions and a list of complete benefits.

Thank you!

0 Likes
vzaccessfixer
Enthusiast - Level 2

The fix to the WMC604 Error for VZ Access Manager is:: 1. Unplug the Broadband card and close VZ Access Manager 2.Right Click on My Computer and choose manage 3. Click Service and Applications 4. Click Services 5. Click on "VZ Config Service" and stop the service...Click apply then Ok 6. Right Click on the VZ Config service and click properties 7. Click the log on tab and check "Allow Service to Interact with Desktop" 8. Click Apply and Ok. 9. Restart the VZ config service. Click Apply , Ok 10. Close Services and try connecting with the Card again.

0 Likes
Peewee27

I also have the dreaded WMC604 error with a USB551L modem. Have read the various posts, tried stopping and restarting the service etc etc. I reside in a 3G area with no 4G service at this location.

Still unable to connect. What oh what to try next?

0 Likes