If connected to WiFi, do SMS text messages count towards my plan?
smitty195

Hello,

I have the 250 text plan (250 texts per month). If I am at home connected to WiFi and I am sending/receiving SMS text messages (not iMessages), does that count towards my 250 texts per month? Or are these freebies since I'm on WiFi? 

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: If connected to WiFi, do SMS text messages count towards my plan?
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Any time you send text messages it will count towards your text plan...except for iMessages and  any messages you send via a free texting app.

0 Likes
JoeNe
Contributor - Level 2

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I thought iMessage worked iOS5 to iOS5 device using wifi or data, not SMS.  If you are not texting to someone with an iOS5 device it will count against your texts.  Also it states that if the iMessage service is down your message will be sent via SMS.  

See the link:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ios/

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

JoeNe wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I thought iMessage worked iOS5 to iOS5 device using wifi or data, not SMS.  If you are not texting to someone with an iOS5 device it will count against your texts.  Also it states that if the iMessage service is down your message will be sent via SMS.  

See the link:

Yes you have to be texting with another device that runs iOS 5...at which case that SMS message you were sending (assuming you are texting another iPhone since natively, iPod Touches can not text message) would use the iMessage system. If the iMessage system is down your message will be sent as SMS unless you have the SMS option turned off (this would prevent the message from being sent as an SMS....this won't stop all SMS messages from my understanding, but it will stop those that were intended to be iMessages from being sent as SMS).

0 Likes
JoeNe
Contributor - Level 2

kaebfly wrote:

JoeNe wrote:

See the link:

Yes you have to be texting with another device that runs iOS 5...at which case that SMS message you were sending (assuming you are texting another iPhone since natively, iPod Touches can not text message) would use the iMessage system. If the iMessage system is down your message will be sent as SMS unless you have the SMS option turned off (this would prevent the message from being sent as an SMS....this won't stop all SMS messages from my understanding, but it will stop those that were intended to be iMessages from being sent as SMS).

iPod Touches running iOS5 should be able to use iMessage.  I know it works on my iPad also.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

JoeNe wrote:

kaebfly wrote:

JoeNe wrote:

See the link:

iPod Touches running iOS5 should be able to use iMessage.  I know it works on my iPad also.

Yes, they can use iMessage. They, however, can not send SMS natively. They can if you download an app that allows them to via WiFi, but otherwise they are not devices that can send or receive SMS...unlike an iPhone which is capable of sending text messages with or without the creation of iMessage or the need to download an app that allows it to do so. What I was referring to is that messages send from a iPod Touch would not convert to an SMS (using the iMessage system) because without iMessage or a 3rd party app an iPod Touch could not send or receive SMS.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Basically if u send messenge to iPod touch w/ ios5 u can use iMessage and if it doesent work it won't count as SMS because iPod touch doesent SMS , iPad doesent SMS either only way to count text if iMessage doesent work is iPhone to iPhone? U can do text block if u don't want mistakes to count as they said. I'm new at this too so if u got an advice on imessageing would be great.
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

iMessaging is great...as long as you know enough people with iOS devices that have iOS 5. It cuts down on your text message use...which is a plus for those with limited text plans (I have an unlimited text plan since I am a heavier texter and I know many people that do not use iPhones). It's also great for those that like to see when their message is delivered and see when it has been read (options that aren't shown through the normal text on the iPhone).

I would advise getting a texting plan of some sort if you think you may want to have access to texting anyone that is not an iOS 5 device owner or if you think others will text you. You can get a block but if you don't want to really block texting completely from your plan getting a plan (the lowest possible. I don't know if they still offer the $5 plan, but that's what my mother has...250 texts with unlimited mobile to mobile. She's had that plan for several years though so it may not still be available) would be best. There are also free text apps that allow you to text without using the network texting plans. Just depends on what you want or need. I'm not a fan of those because you tend to get a lot of unsolicited texts...no telling who had the number provided before you did. Plus, you have to give everyone a second number to text you at (and hope they remember to text that number and not your phone number).

0 Likes