Size limit for text messages ???
Deanna

I am having trouble with some of my text messages since I got my new phone. Does anyone know if there is a limit on the size of the text messages before they won't be received on the other end. The person I am sending them too has an IPhone and her messages, if they are long come in as two messages so I know it's on my end.

I sent one earlier today that was 0.177kb but it was never received? I would have thought that if there was a limit that it would stop you from typing any more characters or at least say that the message is too large? It says the message was sent not only after I push OK but also when I look at the message info?? Is there a way to set it so that it shows if the message was received? It gets pretty frustrating not knowing if my messages are getting where they are supposed to :smileysad:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Size limit for text messages ???
AStormUser
Contributor - Level 2

A receipt confrimation will only show when you send to another VZW user. It shows a check in the box in your sent folder. It will not confirm delivery for any other carrier.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Deanna-

Text messages have a limit of 160 characters, including your signature, if you have it set for one.  On my phone there is a tally in the corner of how many characters I have already typed and how many I have left (75/160,  for example) If i go over the 160, it automatically starts a second message.  When I sent a "long" message to my son, also Verizon, he got all of it in one message, though it appeared to have been sent, or composed as two. He has received messages in "pieces" from friends who text long message - perhaps between carriers it splits the messages but M2M it delivers all in one?

I'm really not sure, as I keep my messages under 160, and just call if I have more to say.  It may be the carrier you are sending to won't accept longer messages.  If you have special characters, smilies, signature stuff, perhaps that is what is causing the glitches.

0 Likes
AStormUser
Contributor - Level 2

Deanna,

Suzy is correct there is a character limit (160) when sending to another carrier. This is a limitation of the networks. However VZW to VZW the limit is 1000 characters. Your phone does not know which carrier you are sending the message to when you are creating the message so it allows you to continue beyond the 160 characters when typing, however the recipient will only receive the first 160 characters. It will also remove any special characters, sounds, etc.

Hope this helps!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

AStormUser wrote:
....However VZW to VZW the limit is 1000 characters. Your phone does not know which carrier you are sending the message to when you are creating the message so it allows you to continue beyond the 160 characters when typing, however the recipient will only receive the first 160 characters. It will also remove any special characters, sounds, etc.....

I never knew this - so that's why my message to my son (way short of 1000 characters but over the 160....) went through as one message?  But if I was sending to my sister (AT&T) it would have broken it up or only sent a partial message?  This is interesting....

Sometimes my son will get multiple messages from the same person....continuations that he has to read piece by piece.  So is that Verizon splitting it up, or his friends' carrier splitting it? Do all carriers split them up or treat long messages the same way?  This would be good to know if I ever have to send a longer text to someone, though normally I try to keep it under the 160, just to be sure.  Where did you find this information, StormUser?

0 Likes
AStormUser
Contributor - Level 2

Suzy,

That is correct. Your son's device will receive the long message (greater than 160) as one (Enhanced) message depending on the capabilities of his phone which it sounds like his is. Sending to another carrier will more than likely result in the message being shortened to 160 characters. So you are better off sending under 160 to your sister (AT&T) to ensure she gets the entire message.

I'm not sure who exactly splits the messages up. But to be safe when you send to another carrier keep it under 160 with no special characters.

I found this on Vtext.com regarding EMS (Enhanced Messaging Service)

Here's the link:

https://text1.vzw.com/text/jsp/text_messaging_faq.jsp#watstxtmsg

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

AStormUser wrote:

Suzy,

I found this on Vtext.com regarding EMS (Enhanced Messaging Service)

Here's the link:

https://text1.vzw.com/text/jsp/text_messaging_faq.jsp#watstxtmsg

::::bookmarking link::::

::::creating a macro with link:::::

::::reading link:::::

Thank you - excellent information on texting and why messages sometimes do not go through, or come through scrambled, and how the whole text messaging world works.  Ought to be required reading for anyone who signs up for a text package.

0 Likes
AStormUser
Contributor - Level 2
No problem and I definitely agree with you about the required reading lol :smileytongue:
0 Likes
Deanna

Thank you to everyone who helped me with the answer to my question :smileyhappy: What I am finding is that when I type what I call a "novel" to the AT&T recipient, they never receive it at all. Not even the first 160 characters ..... so now I just try to stay under the limit and send an additional text right afterwards if I have more to say. I just wish there was some way around that but I guess I have to wait for technology to catch up with my thinking ....

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Deanna wrote:

.... I just wish there was some way around that but I guess I have to wait for technology to catch up with my thinking ....

It's called email.....or just pick up the phone and call if you have soooooo much to say!!!  :smileyvery-happy:  Text messages were intended to be short messages - SMS stands for SHORT MESSAGE SERVICE!

0 Likes
Deanna

Or I could switch to AT&T and get an IPhone since I know this isn't an issue with them :smileyhappy:

On another note, does anyone know if there is a way to set up the LG Envy to show that a message has been received? I can see that it was sent along with the size and the date but I have looked around and don't see a setting to show that the person has received the message.

0 Likes