Frustrating connection problem with Novatel USB551L 4G USB Modem
chileconjefe

I'm having a frustrating connection problem with my new USB551L modem. It's hard to describe, so I'll just walk you through my daily process of attempting to establish a connection:

• I run VZAccess Manager, it recognizes my modem w/ 4G connection.
  • I click "Connect WWAN." It says "initializing" at the bottom of the window, but just hangs. Nothing happens. I've waiting over 20 minutes before and nothing. The light on my modem will blink for a few seconds, then go solid again, then blink for another few seconds ad nauseum, even though VZAM says I have a full signal.
  • I try exiting VZAM, and it hangs on the "VZAM is closing" window! So I'm therefore forced to force quit using the Windows Task manager.
  • I open up VZAM again and attempt to reconnect. If I'm LUCKY, it'll connect and then 1 of two things will happen: I get a full send/receive connection and all is good, or I just send data and don't receive any. If the latter happens, any attempt to reconnect will just have me send data, but not receive any. I therefore have to quit VZAM and retry the whole thing.
  • Most of the time, it doesn't even connect the second time, so I have to repeat the whole process of force quitting, restarting, and attempting to connect.
  • It takes me, on average, 4-5 times of the whole "open VZAM, try to connect, force quit, repeat" process. It takes me around 10 mintues to connect to the internet every time, due to this frustrating problem with either my modem, or the VZAM software.

Does anyone have this problem and/or know how to fix it?

For reference, my specs: 

Lenovo Thinkpad X220, Win 7 Home Premium SP1, latest VZAM software, latest drivers, no driver conflicts in the windows device manager. 

HELP!

0 Likes
Re: Frustrating connection problem with Novatel USB551L 4G USB Modem
Not applicable

I definitely understand how frustrating not having a connection can be.  I’ve had connection issues with my modem before.  Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.  Regarding another step in your troubleshooting; have you tried to connect with your modem on another computer?  If you have already tried please PM me your name and number and I can see what other options we have for you.  Hope this helps.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Bravo

Mine won't connect either.  It says it has connected, but then my browser cannot find the connection.  It works perfectly on my friend's lap top (which runs Windows 7 and is newer).  My laptop runs XP and it has never worked.  I took it to the Verizon store a while back and they said they had fixed it, but not so.  I have not had an opportunity to take it back again yet.  I was there 3 hours last time.  Sigh.

0 Likes
chileconjefe

SammuelP wrote:

I definitely understand how frustrating not having a connection can be.  I’ve had connection issues with my modem before.  Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.  Regarding another step in your troubleshooting; have you tried to connect with your modem on another computer?  If you have already tried please PM me your name and number and I can see what other options we have for you.  Hope this helps.  Thanks.

Thanks for your assistance. I've tried the modem on a desktop with Windows XP, and two other laptops - one with Vista, and one with 7. I'm having the same annoying issue. I'm pretty much fed up with having to go through this little routine every single time I want to connect to the internet. I'll most likely return the modem if a solution isn't found. 4G speeds aren't worth it when you can't even connect to the internet without having to force quit 3 or 4 times, wasting 10 minutes. I'm amazed this modem/software combo was released with such a lack of quality control.

I do appreciate your help, however. I've gone ahead and PMed you my info. If there's anything else you need, let me know. Thanks again!

0 Likes
Tomas

I am having the same problem. Was someone able to help you? If so can you forward to me?

0 Likes
fantn

I am having the same problem.

Disabled power setting on USB port.

Reinstalled verizon access manager.

Removed sim card.

Moved settings to 4G only, 3G or 4G, 3G only.

Have talked to support at least 4 times and have heard 4G is not available in my location, I am on the fringe of service, and other items. A new SIm card is in route hope it works. If not I will return to store to see if I can get a different modem ( if possible).

0 Likes
elmootis

I don't have 4G available in my area either.  But, I am able to connect most of the time.  When I first set my software up, I have to re-install it once.  It still did not work.  I went into my internet options and unchecked "automatically detect settings" in Lan Settings.  It worked fine after that.  It does have a problem connecting sometimes.  I wish I would have read the reviews on about this modem before I bought it;  Almost all of them say "don't buy it".

0 Likes
evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

You might want to try a Verizon 4G LTE direct connect amplifier! This supports 4G LTE only, so no boost for 3G.

If you are in a 4G area, but the signal is weak, you can certainly benefit from the 4G LTE Amplifier

Cellphone-Mate CM700V Direct Connect 4G Amplifier

Read more about Cellphone-Mate CM700V 4G LTE Amplifier

0 Likes
jlwoodworx
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had all the same problems as most of these posts, especially dropped signals and poor download speeds.  I replaced the 551L with a new one, a new SIM, card, countless hours on the phone with VZ tech.  What finally worked was an admission that the 551 was a major problem for a majority of users, especially MacOS 10.7 users.  My solution, which worked very well until now was to install the latest "build" from Novatel.  But to do that I had to install the 551L on my old PC, upgrade all the VZ software, and then download the latest Mac OS build on to my old PC, then switch the "rebuilt" 551 back to my Mac.  A very frustrating experience that overall took months to effect.  Now I have a new problem.  When I try to connect to the internet I get a warning that another device is using my 551.  I only have one device.

The 551L should never have left the factory. 

evdotech
Contributor - Level 1

Try to exchange it out for Pantech UML 290 it is more reliable than a 551L if Big Red wants an arm and a leg for it, you can buy it here for I think $149 bucks

http://3gstore.com/product/3581_verizon_pantech_uml290_-_refurbished_like_newno_contract_upgrade.htm...

0 Likes