iPhone 4S - Text Messages Showing From Phone Number

I have all of my contacts in my iPhone.  

When someone texts me or I text them, the Message shows from their phone number.  

I've tried updated the programming and that didn't solve it for me.

Anyone know how to fix this issue?

I've read on the apple forums this is a Verizon issue.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4S - Text Messages Showing From Phone Number
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Are the people you are getting these texts from also iPhone users? If so, and they also are using iOS 5 then their messages might be coming to you as iMessages. If they have their iMessage "receive at" is set to their phone number then it would be in their settings as 1+the number. Not sure if that would affect how they show up on your phone though. Not sure if this is a Verizon issue...I haven't had this problem nor has the other iPhone on my account. Have you tried contacting VZW or Apple to see if this is a known issue or if they have a fix?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Tap settings --> tap messages --> tap received at -- tap caller ID.  you can change that to email a registered email address.  By default it set to number.  As long as it shows blue bubbles you do not get charged text.

To tell the difference between an iMessage by simple glance.

Green text bubble = text

blue text bubble = iMessage

0 Likes
dlim899
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am having the same issue. When someone from my contact calls it show the name however when that same person SMS me, it only shows the number. I know for a fact that the other person doesn't have iPhone so it's not using iMessage. Don't know if this is Apple or Verizon issue. I believe it's more Apple than Verizon. Will try calling Apple Support tomorrow.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Read above.
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Sorry I read it wrong scratch that. My wife's one comes out normally.
0 Likes
scorpio11

I am having the same problem with text messages showing the phone number and not the contact name. I have done that programming thing as well and it did not fix the messaging problem, only fixed phone calls that were just showing phone number and now they will show contact name. Does anyone know of a solution?

0 Likes
stc2sfo
  • I went to the verizon store for assistance and they told me to add a "1" in front of the contact number.  I did do this, and it STILL is showing the number when I receive a text from that contact.  
  • The other thing I noticed is that when you text a contact by name from your contacts, the text will be stored under their name. HOWEVER when they reply, the text shows up by number without any SMS history.  Its confusing and very strange and does not keep context.
  • When you go to the iphone 4s search and look for the number that shows up in SMS, it does not find the number in the contacts list -- search does not search the actual number field which is very frustrating!
0 Likes
lartech

stc2sfo wrote:
  • I went to the verizon store for assistance and they told me to add a "1" in front of the contact number.  I did do this, and it STILL is showing the number when I receive a text from that contact.  
  • The other thing I noticed is that when you text a contact by name from your contacts, the text will be stored under their name. HOWEVER when they reply, the text shows up by number without any SMS history.  Its confusing and very strange and does not keep context.
  • When you go to the iphone 4s search and look for the number that shows up in SMS, it does not find the number in the contacts list -- search does not search the actual number field which is very frustrating

I added the 1 and still have the same problems you outlined here as well. I'm thinking this is a patch that's needed and not a phone setting.

0 Likes
balkan
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having this problem too, and it seems to have been triggered when I fixed a different problem.  Having just switched from ATT, I found that for many contacts my new Verizon iPhone 4s would not let me make calls from the contacts app - I had to type in the numbers manually (else I would get a message I didn't have international and long distance dialing).  I fixed that by calling *228 and 2.  But now having done that, a bunch of my SMS messages have actually switched over to showing phone numbers rather than names.