Incredible not receiving text messages
LizC26

My Droid Incredible will not recieve text messages. It's been going on for two days now. At first I had the "low space" icon, so I called Verizon, and after an hour on the phone and deleting lots of things, the icon went away. Still no text messages. I called again tonight. They did some other resets and things but ultimately couldn't figure out what was wrong. The tech said he'd call back in a few days with an update on the situation. I even downloaded the hotfix from HTC that Verizon didn't reccomend I do, which also didn't help the situation. Really??  This Incredible is obvioulsy a defect phone. Just the problem with the low storage space is ridiculous. No other phone has that glitch that makes users keep a minimal amount of apps and requires them to delete cookies and caches every other day. So, now I guess I just wait with my half-functioning phone until they can figure out what is wrong???

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Incredible not receiving text messages
Helraiserbh8908
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the exact same issue. I can send text messages perfectly fine. I can receive and send emails fine. Making calls and receiving calls also works fine. I just cannot receive text messages. I also had the low memory icon for a while, and did some research on it. It appears that this is caused by the gingerbread update 2.3.4. I never had any issues like this before that update. The weirdest part is that I did not have the issues imediately after the update, so my phone after the update was perfectly fine for about a week or two. It appears that we are not the only ones having these issues also, because in many google searches it appears that everyone that has the original incredible that has received the update to 2.3.4 is have at least the low space issue. Please Verizon do something to fix this. Even if it is not directly your fault, I feel as a cell phone carrier, you should take more action than just telling end users to clear their cache, uninstall apps, or reset their phone. Maybe some action such as helping HTC get word of the problem to fix it if it is on their level, or even if it is on the google level. Although I think if that were the case every phone with 2.3.4 would have the same issues, so that leads me to believe that it is  an HTC issue for this specific piece of hardware.

0 Likes
rmywifey101

I also am having the same issue. After speaking with a technical support person for an hour the issue still hasnt been resolved. He suggested going ahead and replacing it, but since my screen is cracked the manufacturer possibly would charge me 200 and send my phone back. i am going to the store tomorrow & seeing if in the store they can do something to fix my phone! I did get credited for text messaging on my account for the next two months so even if they cant fix the problem right now, they possibly can credit your account until they fix the issue. Hope they get this issue fixed because up until now I really loved my Incredible!

0 Likes
messtoph

I am having the same exact problems.  I had the low storage icon that kept coming up.  So I did a restore on the phone, wiped out everything, ever since I have not been receiving text messages.  I went to a local store, and they said to call tech support.  Not sure if I really want to spend half my day doing that.  I will if I get the time.

0 Likes
Helraiserbh8908
Enthusiast - Level 2

rmywifey101 wrote:

I also am having the same issue. After speaking with a technical support person for an hour the issue still hasnt been resolved. He suggested going ahead and replacing it, but since my screen is cracked the manufacturer possibly would charge me 200 and send my phone back. i am going to the store tomorrow & seeing if in the store they can do something to fix my phone! I did get credited for text messaging on my account for the next two months so even if they cant fix the problem right now, they possibly can credit your account until they fix the issue. Hope they get this issue fixed because up until now I really loved my Incredible!

How does that work with replacing your phone though anyways? Did the tech guys say they would replace it for free? In your case I see why you would have to pay since your screen is cracked, but I do not think we should have to pay for a new phone if we decided to get our phones replaced. I had no problems before this, and I do not think we should pay money to fix a problem that was not caused by us as the end users. I would like however to upgrade to the Incredible 2, for many reasons, but none of them are because of the experiences with the Incredible 1. I have loved this phone and have had it for well over a year now. I do not have an upgrade until  early next year though. I think that Verizon needs to work with HTC or Google to get this problem fixed, depending on where the problem originated. OR they need to give everyone experiencing this problem an upgrade to the Inc 2.

0 Likes
laceym5

I had the same problem.  I called Verizon's help line and went through a series of attempts which did not fix it.  That person connected my to tech support who knew exactly how to fix it.  She had me type in a url into my browser, which downloaded a patch to my phone.  After restarting it, not only did my text messaging work, but all the texts I hadn't received came in too!

0 Likes
Helraiserbh8908
Enthusiast - Level 2

laceym5 wrote:

I had the same problem.  I called Verizon's help line and went through a series of attempts which did not fix it.  That person connected my to tech support who knew exactly how to fix it.  She had me type in a url into my browser, which downloaded a patch to my phone.  After restarting it, not only did my text messaging work, but all the texts I hadn't received came in too!

Any way that you can post said link? Or maybe a support number from your call to get a hold of the same person? MAybe you have the url stil lin your browsers history?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks to the community for responding.  I can understand having this problem.  I had an incredible and would get the same error.

@LizC26 :

This issue has been already reported to our product team. As an alternate work around clearing cache is the safest method. The issue is triggered when the device has low memory (lower than 512KB in data memory). You can erase cache and data of most used applications like Facebook, NFL, etc as these applications store lot of cache as a backup to launch faster. Deleting cache from most of applications will make room for applications and mail to run smoothly. You can always move applications to SD card to keep room in application memory.

We are working on making some enhancements in software to minimize the impact of low memory issue. All these changes should be seen in next software update. Release date is not finalized yet. I hope this helps.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Helraiserbh8908
Enthusiast - Level 2

SammuelP wrote:

Thanks to the community for responding.  I can understand having this problem.  I had an incredible and would get the same error.

@LizC26 :

This issue has been already reported to our product team. As an alternate work around clearing cache is the safest method. The issue is triggered when the device has low memory (lower than 512KB in data memory). You can erase cache and data of most used applications like Facebook, NFL, etc as these applications store lot of cache as a backup to launch faster. Deleting cache from most of applications will make room for applications and mail to run smoothly. You can always move applications to SD card to keep room in application memory.

We are working on making some enhancements in software to minimize the impact of low memory issue. All these changes should be seen in next software update. Release date is not finalized yet. I hope this helps.  Thanks.

Why is it that you people are being so incompetent about this? That is not a solution for the actual problem we are having. I can personally guarantee you that every single person in this thread is not having this issue because of a cache buildup. None of us ever had this problem until the 2.3.4 OTA push. Its not like we all said hey look Android 2.3.4, And installed 500 new apps with widgets and browse 100 times more so that our memory would be overloaded. I do not and will not accept this as an answer to the problem. It is obviously some kind of software bug. I write software for a living and I know a bug when I see one. Everyone has tried your solution, and it does not work. Why would a buildup of data that had been there before the update that never caused this, all of a sudden cause it now? And why would that buildup of data all of a sudden override the ability to receive text messages? Simply it wouldn't. All that everyone posting here is asking, is that you guys fix the actual problem in the updated Android Package. And another thing, Apparently, according to laceym5 there already is a patch somewhere on your guys' server that will fix this issue. Why is it that you guys can't just post this link somewhere where all people having issues can get to it?

0 Likes
renn3e

I can't believe this is happening. I am having the EXACT same issue with my incredible. After the update I got the low storage message even though I have only used about one quarter of the space on my phone. The people at the verizon store said the only way to get rid of it was a factory reset, so I finally caved and did it last night and now I can't get ANY texts. What's so hard about just giving us the patch URL so we can get this working again? 

0 Likes