IPhone 4s SIM Card
HAL9000S

The iPhone 4S is being advertised as a world phone, my question is will Verizon lock the SIM card port so that only a Verizon GSM card can be used. If the card slot is not locked than I shall have an iPhone 4 and only have to carry one phone when I travel overseas. Otherwise I will wait and see what the newer DROID models have to author.

Paying 10 cents a minute vs $1.00 a minute makes a big difference when traveling. If you call for one hour a day over 5 days you are paying $300 for Verizon but would only pay $30 for a pay as you go SIM card in the country you are visiting. That pays off the second phone five or six times over. So come on Verizon and help us out; you are afterall not in the GSM market.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: IPhone 4s SIM Card
Jarek

I have a different question. iPhone 4S is being advertised as world phone by Apple but not really by Verizon. It is not listed as global phone, the tech specs on Verizon site say only CDMA, nothing on GSM. Is this an error? or GSM is simply blocked by Verzion or what?

0 Likes
a2miguy

Jarek wrote:

I have a different question. iPhone 4S is being advertised as world phone by Apple but not really by Verizon. It is not listed as global phone, the tech specs on Verizon site say only CDMA, nothing on GSM. Is this an error? or GSM is simply blocked by Verzion or what?

I asked that same question in another thread. Someone who replied suggested it was a mistake... that maybe they'd copied/pasted the specs for the iPhone 4. They said that folks who had preordered the 4S were being given the option of a global plan.  I've also emailed Verizon about this earlier today, but no reply yet.

0 Likes
willzzz88
Enthusiast - Level 3

Most likely with previous history and other VZW Global Phones the GSM portion of the phone is LOCKED to the VZW Vodafone SIM card which carries a global CDMA + GSM profile of your +1 US VZW number.

The GSM portion technically can be unlocked and other provider used on the other phones by entering a code and doing other IT procedures if you are good with computers.

On the iPhone knowing Apple it will be tight and will probably require [insert method you can Google for and may void your warranty].

What you want is already possible on a un-locked VZW Droid Incredible 2 and other global phones...

Apple!? They make their policies tight and knowing VZW...

Well maybe VZW will unlock the global portion of the iPhone 4S... I know AT&T doesn't without end user IT hacks...

0 Likes
a2miguy

I emailed VZW and asked to confirm the iPhone 4s was, in fact, a global phone and I asked if it would be unlockable.  Here is the reply (after I fished it out of the mile-long sales pitch they included):

Please be assured the iPhone 4s is a global capable device for both CDMA and GSM networks. I am sorry the device is not compatible for use with Prepay service. We do not have procedures available to "unlock" the iPhone 4s, as our version is specifically configured for use with Verizon Wireless.

So, yeah....

0 Likes