Global plan
linda1

I will be in Europe for 2 weeks starting next week. I will be in Greece, Italy, France and Switzerland. I wanted to use my Droid 2. I am on the unlimited data plan offered last year. I have gotten two different answers to my questions on a temporary change to using it as a global phone. The store said if I change to the global plan for my trip I will have to start over with a new 2 yr plan and will not be eligible for the unlimited data plan I love. I called Verizon and was told changing it for the trip would not affect my current contract. Does anyone have experience ( recent) with this? 

Also how far would I have to be from the cruise ship to avoid cruise ship charges. The rep flippantly told me 150 miles, but he had never been on a cruise. 

Thanks

Linda1

0 Likes
Re: Global plan
Wildman
Legend

I have went to Europe and activated the global option without changing my plan, all I did was contact CS and they added it just like a feature and just have it removed after trip...  Also have to update the programming before you make the trip or the feature is useless, I hope they add option to update roaming and programming through wifi when out of country..

You should not have to change your plan or loose any features unless they have change policies in the last year are so...

As for the cruise fees, I havent ever experianced this, so I really can not say the distance but the trival agent should have some information on this, I would check with them to be sure...

0 Likes
Re: Global plan
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

linda1 wrote:

I will be in Europe for 2 weeks starting next week. I will be in Greece, Italy, France and Switzerland. I wanted to use my Droid 2. I am on the unlimited data plan offered last year. I have gotten two different answers to my questions on a temporary change to using it as a global phone. The store said if I change to the global plan for my trip I will have to start over with a new 2 yr plan and will not be eligible for the unlimited data plan I love. I called Verizon and was told changing it for the trip would not affect my current contract. Does anyone have experience ( recent) with this? 

Also how far would I have to be from the cruise ship to avoid cruise ship charges. The rep flippantly told me 150 miles, but he had never been on a cruise. 

Thanks

Linda1

Hi linda1,

A trip to Europe, how exciting! Thanks Wildman for the accurate recommendations and information.

In order to add a global roaming feature to your phone please call us at 800-922-0204 before you go on your trip, please keep in mind that your current contract and domestic data plan (Unlimited according to your post) will not change as you are not removing the domestic plan but adding a global roaming feature. See options below:

50MB   $30.00

150MB $75.00

300MB $125.00

Calling rates vary from country to country; however, you can view specific roaming rates online at vzw.com/TRIPPLANNER at your convenience.

I would think that 150 miles (noted on your post) is a typo and you meant to write 150 feet. In fact your phone should be able to pick up the strongest signal at all times, which should be the one from a tower in the city you visit once you step a few feet away from the ship. While your phone should be able to pick up signal other than the ship once you step off it, I would suggest not using your phone right next to the ship to be on the safe side.

0 Likes