Re: Blank SD card?
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

I'd suggest just going and buying yourself a new SD card to use. The cards these phones come with are of very poor quality. I along with many others have had our cards just up and suddenly be corrupted, possibly by the phone itself, without anything being able to be retrieved from it (got my phone in November)

You don't need to goto the VZW store to have them check out the card, cause they will probably not help you since 'they're not responsible for the card the phone came with'. Just check it out on you own computer (or a friends if they are willing to let you)....most computers today will read cards via a card reader (either part of the computer itself or via a USB connectable card reader)

Hopefully you can get whatever pictures you had on the card, but it would be beneficial if you were to go out and get your own SD card. I bought a 16GB PNY class 10 from NewEgg for around $30....it burped once, but as soon it reformated haven't had any problems with it.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Everyone's input is correct about your SD card issue.  The first step is to determine if it's the card itself malfunctioning or if it's possibly the reader on you device.  If it's determined that it's the phone, we can look into replacing the device.  If it's confirmed it's the SD card, I've posted the SD card warranty info below.  I'm not the copy/paste type of person, but this situation was exactly like someone else's, and it's a lot of info to type out. I hope that helps out your situation.

SanDisk Cards

SanDisk warrants Memory Cards and Readers to be free of defective parts and workmanship.

• This warranty is provided to the original end user and is not transferable.
    • Proof of purchase may be required. 
    • The warranty period is 5 years
    • The warranty is void if SanDisk determines the memory card is damaged because of improper installation, misuse, and/or unauthorized repair

To contact SanDisk directly:  

• Call 866-SANDISK ( 866-726-3475) between 8:00 AM and 7:00 PM PT, M - F, or
  • Send an email to  support@sandisk.com. 

If your Motorola Droid X does not have a SanDisk card:

Call the Motorola Android support line: 800-734-5870

• Phone must still be under manufacturer's warranty with no liquid or physical damage.
  • Memory card must be the original card that was included with the device.

In a nutshell, it's a pretty straightforward process as long as you know where you're calling.  Is it SanDisk? Call SanDisk.  Is it anything other than SanDisk? Call Motorola. 

0 Likes
giggalz
Enthusiast - Level 3

well i went to verizon yesterday...after about 30 minutes the guy figures i needed a new sd card (gee ya think?) i knew this going in....so he came out with this package that has the adapter ..an sd card and something else..i'm not sure what it was..he was informing me that he was going to give me all of it..and it was free under warranty etc..it was 69 bucks..then leaves and comes back to tell me he can only give me the sd card now..and took the rest away..so i was kinda upset i had my hopes up of getting an adapter as well incase this issue ever arises again..and then take it away..which makes no sense..to the system..i got the entire package..not just the sd card...and whats the point of it..like they dont carry JUST sd cards?  he wasted money by doing that..

i then went to walmart and bought an adapter..ugh

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

giggalz wrote:

well i went to verizon yesterday...after about 30 minutes the guy figures i needed a new sd card (gee ya think?) i knew this going in....so he came out with this package that has the adapter ..an sd card and something else..i'm not sure what it was..he was informing me that he was going to give me all of it..and it was free under warranty etc..it was 69 bucks..then leaves and comes back to tell me he can only give me the sd card now..and took the rest away..so i was kinda upset i had my hopes up of getting an adapter as well incase this issue ever arises again..and then take it away..which makes no sense..to the system..i got the entire package..not just the sd card...and whats the point of it..like they dont carry JUST sd cards?  he wasted money by doing that..

i then went to walmart and bought an adapter..ugh

Do what?? They replaced your SD card?? Now that's just plain crud.....not jumpin your case, but rather this is more proof that VZW doesn't hold their policy to heart. My SD card corrupted in August and I spoke to both 800# support and went into the store, only to be told by both of them that the policy is that I have to call SanDisk or Motorola (depending up on the card installed in the phone) cause Verizon was not responsible for replacement of a bad SD card

lucky for you they did, I had to shell out $30 to get a replacement card

0 Likes
keiffers
Contributor - Level 1

MikeS_VZW wrote:

so what will Verizon do when a third party card gets corrupted or otherwise damaged? I know you won't replace it and I have to goto the maker of the card - I UNDERSTAND that....but the point I am getting at is that in right around a month now, I have received 3 SD card messages (1 corrupted message on the original card and now 2 'damaged' messages on the replacement card I bought). That's not normal - yeah cards go bad but not like this. Something in this phone (and others who have experienced the same problems with the SD card either being corrupted or damaged) is causing the SD card problems.

Is Moto and VZW looking into this or will be out of luck to just keep buying SD cards when our current card goes bad, or MAYBE get lucky and find a local store that will actually do the right thing and replace it for free.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Keiffers, I understand it is frustrating to have this issue happen more than once with SD cards. Motorola was investigating a bad batch of SD cards that came with the phone, but I am not sure if they tested third party SD cards. I did send information to our product team that it seems to be more than just the SD card, and possibly something in the phone to cause the issue. We will further investigate this. 

0 Likes