Other ways to access text messages (content) and....
mrsgrahamiam80

Hi-

Is there a way to access text messages via a computer or on verizon wireless account other than the actual device? For example, if I don't have my device handy and I wanted to send and recieve text message or retrieve old text messages, can this be done online?

Also, how can you fwd a picture that has been recieved via a text message from one contact to another contact?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Other ways to access text messages (content) and....
budone
Legend

There is not a VZW site to get your messages online. I have the app SMS Backup, It sends all texts sent and received to an email address you decide on.

I set up a specific Gmail account just for the texts to be forwarded to.

As for fowarding a picture, I normally press on the pic in teh text msg. for a couple seconds and a menu will appear for saving or forwarding the picture along with other options. .

0 Likes
mrsgrahamiam80

Is there a way to use the SMS backup for a different phone # other than the device (phone #) you're using? I would like to to be able to retrieve text msgs for my main phone # and also another line on my account. I have two phones...

0 Likes
budone
Legend

If the other line is a smartphone, yes. But if the person using the phone is over 18, it would be illegal for you to add it without their permission. And you would need to physically add it to the other phone.

0 Likes
mrsgrahamiam80

Yes, the other phone is identical to mine. My question, now is- how do I use the SMS Backup? I have downloaded the free SMS Backup app, but how do you retrieve the messages. I checked my gmail acct via the phone and no new messages were sent there. I had a friend to text me to 'test' it. I recieved the txt on my phone, but nothing in my gmail acct. Should this automatically happen the txt msg will fwd to my gmail acct?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Once you open the app, click on Menu and set up which email account and which folder you want them added to (you can create a new folder) and choose to backup now and then set it to autobackup, so texts are sent to the email when one is received or sent.

Also set up backups in groups off 100 or more or you will have zillions of text lines. I use 100. This means texts between me and another will group into 100 texts, then a new group for that person is started.

0 Likes
mrsgrahamiam80

Thanks for answering all of my questions. You have been helpful! The only thing I do not see now is the AutoBackup optionx? I clicked on Backup and all of my text msgs went into a file via app. But I still want to retrieve msgs via my email account.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

OK, grabbed my phone. When you open the app, the menu shows up automatically. Make sure auto backup is check marked.

Also at the top right is a backup now button. This will send any texts you have in your message program to the email address you set up in the program. Also under Gmail account address, use what is in front of the @gmail.com address, not the whole address

0 Likes
mrsgrahamiam80

I think initially I downloaded a different app than the one you have. I found the one that I believe is the right one! But I am having issues connecting the gmail account to the app (which is required)  :smileysad:

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello mrsgrahamiam80,

I'm glad budone was able to provide some great information for you.  I did want to add you can send and receive text messages online.  You will not be able to retrieve past or current message content, but incase you do not have your phone handy one day you can send and receive text online.  You can do this by visiting vtext.com or by clicking here .  It seems all of your other questions were answered, so if you still have any questions and or concerns please let me know so I may further assist you.  Thank you.  

0 Likes