Do I have to buy a data plan? please read desc.
QuestionsForMe

I would like to purchase a iphone 4 (maybe 5) but i would ONLY like to continue with my plan with talk and text. I would NOT like to purchase a data plan for this phone.

I would like the phone for its other uses including apps and music and such. But NOT the web features unless i use wifi. I do not want to pay for a data plan if im not going to even use it...

Is there a "pay as you go" plan for the iphone so i only have to pay the 30 bucks IF I use the web and or download something via web outside of wifi capabilities?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I have to buy a data plan? please read desc.
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

mikedamirault wrote:

21stNow wrote:

AT&T will most definitely require a data plan for an iPhone used on its network. 

For T-Mobile you wouldn't have to have a data plan, since you would be bringing your own phone.  T-Mobile does not have an iPhone for its network.  If they do get one in the near future, you would have to buy the phone full price in order to not have the data plan.

I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that AT&T offered smartphones without data plans, I have heard many complaints about Verizon not selling smartphones without a data plan, and I am pretty sure they said something like that they were able to do so on AT&T/T-Mobile, so why not Verizon?

I don't see T-Mobile getting the iPhone, and if they do, it will still technically be the AT&T iPhone, AT&T bought out T-Mobile (US) from Deutsche Telekom in Germany, so AT&T technically owns (or will own) T-Mobile, I am not sure if AT&T plans on keeping the T-Mobile name though

Nope, AT&T requires a data plan of atleast $15 a month for all smartphones.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pda-phones-smartphones.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-...

Just like Verizon's site, if you read the fine print under each smartphone picture, it says this.

T-Mobile also requires a data plan for smartphones.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

No, the iPhone 4 (and the 5 will, as well as EVERY other smartphone/4G device) requires a data plan.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

Just like vereyezuhn said, Verizon requires you to sign up for a data plan for all their smartphones

For all the iPhone can do, you may want the data plan anyway, you may find out that while you think you don't need it, you may end up using it more than you think

If you really don't want to sign up for a data plan I think the GSM providers (AT&T and T-Mobile) will allow you to get a smartphone (including an iPhone) without a data plan

As for if you can use the iPhone on a prepaid plan, you will have to ask a rep at a Verizon store, it may be possible if you use the prepaid activation number (I think it's *22890 or *22899 or something like that), though I am not sure if that will work or not

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

or get an ipod touch. if you're ONLY going to use data via wifi then just get an ipod. it's MUCH cheaper and then you don't have to worry about data.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

or (once they get it this fall) i believe sprint's "everything" plan is probably not much more than verizon's basic plan.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

AT&T will most definitely require a data plan for an iPhone used on its network. 

For T-Mobile you wouldn't have to have a data plan, since you would be bringing your own phone.  T-Mobile does not have an iPhone for its network.  If they do get one in the near future, you would have to buy the phone full price in order to not have the data plan.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

21stNow wrote:

I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that AT&T offered smartphones without data plans, I have heard many complaints about Verizon not selling smartphones without a data plan, and I am pretty sure they said something like that they were able to do so on AT&T/T-Mobile, so why not Verizon?

I don't see T-Mobile getting the iPhone, and if they do, it will still technically be the AT&T iPhone, AT&T bought out T-Mobile (US) from Deutsche Telekom in Germany, so AT&T technically owns (or will own) T-Mobile, I am not sure if AT&T plans on keeping the T-Mobile name though

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Last I heard the sale of T-Mobile by AT&T has not been approved by the FCC. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

mikedamirault wrote:

21stNow wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pda-phones-smartphones.jsp?wtSlotClick=1-...

Just like Verizon's site, if you read the fine print under each smartphone picture, it says this.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

vereyezuhn wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

21stNow wrote:

I didn't know about that, though that only seems to apply if you buy the phone at the 2yr contract price, therefore if you buy the phone at retail price, or bring in an unlocked phone, a SIM without a data plan could be used in a smartphone and the smartphone should work without a data plan

With Verizon on the other hand, being a CDMA network and no CDMA phone can be "unlocked" and doesn't use SIM cards, even if someone did bring in their own CDMA smartphone (flashed for Verizon of course) or bought their smartphone at retail price, they would still need a data plan, wouldn't they?

0 Likes