Upload speeds extremely slow (<500k) While download is fine (>10mb/s)
mgarner

I am very happy with the download speeds on 4G LTE, however, the upload speeds are extremely slow.

Here are some details:

I get good 4g coverage at home (-85dbm)

I use my Thunderbolt to share the internet connection to my computer via the $30 mobile hotspot plan.

I have performed a hard reset on my Thunderbolt.

Sending a 6.2 MB e-mail took 122 seconds (416kb/sec) 

Several speed test applications confirm the upload speeds are <500kb/sec

These results are consistent throughout the day and night.  I have never had an upload yield any faster speeds than 500kb/sec.

Does anyone have any explaination or suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upload speeds extremely slow (<500k) While download is fine (>10mb/s)
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

This sounds like the issue i'm having, except the exact opposite (upload speeds fine, ~4 mb/s, download speeds extremely slow, ~100-150kbit/sec). I would say more than likely it's a problem with their network. if you can, try other 4G devices that others own or ones at a verizon wireless store. how are your 3G upload speeds? they should be between 600-1000 kbit/sec.

0 Likes
mgarner

3g also apears to be having upload issues.  Download was .48Mb/s (normal for this area) and upload was .06Mb/s (much lower than normal). (1x was .08Mb/s up and .05Mb/s down)

The issue might be isolated to one repeater (CID 4744).  Upload speeds were fine on other cell towers (CID 4979)

I will stop by the Verizon store today and see if I can replicate the issue there.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

mgarner wrote:

I will stop by the Verizon store today and see if I can replicate the issue there.

Please post what became of this issue, mgarner. If unresolved, I'd like to help!

0 Likes
CovahMachiavell

I have the same issue as well....DL speeds over 4mbps and UL only 1 mbps using it as a mobile hotspot for internet connection.  Please help DionM_VZW!

I dont mind you directly emailing me as well at johnmichaelcarlson@gmail.com.

Thanks.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi CovahMachiavell! I'm happy to help in anyway I can. Please send me a personal message using this forum. Include your name and the mobile number you use for your device. And please edit your post to remove your personal email address!

0 Likes
mvgarner
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got no help from Verizon Wireless.  They told me to be patient, that 4g is still new to my area.

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

People shoudl reply to verizon on the bill with this:

"Please be patient with my account, due to the economy in Europe and Asia I will pay my bill when I can"

mvgarner wrote:

I got no help from Verizon Wireless.  They told me to be patient, that 4g is still new to my area.

0 Likes
semcity

If you have a low upload speed (under 1mpbs, you are lacated in a very low LTE coverage area. Check the speed in a couple of blocks away you'll see it wil lbe better.

0 Likes
semcity

How do you check the LTE signal strength? Are you sure it's LTE signal? not 1xrtt?

0 Likes